General Forum

General Forum

  1. Joined
    31 Oct '07
    Moves
    91258
    03 Sep '13 00:15
    The club threads are dead, the games are few, and I had the streets and only open store in town pretty much to myself. The weather is perfect here. Wish I was somewhere enjoying a picnic. How do other Americans celebrate Labor Day?
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    03 Sep '13 00:26
    Originally posted by ale1552
    The club threads are dead, the games are few, and I had the streets and only open store in town pretty much to myself. The weather is perfect here. Wish I was somewhere enjoying a picnic. How do other Americans celebrate Labor Day?
    They can't answer. They're out celebrating.
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '07
    Moves
    91258
    03 Sep '13 00:40
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    They can't answer. They're out celebrating.
    Then you must be staying home just like the ales. I am a bit slow but tomorrow we will have potato salad. I may not have any students. Everyone is too busy at some lake or other this weekend to get lessons lined up for the fall term. Today? After being in town I made mr. ale happy with one of his favorite meals, glazed ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and applesauce. Root beer on the side.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    03 Sep '13 01:57
    Originally posted by ale1552
    Then you must be staying home just like the ales. I am a bit slow but tomorrow we will have potato salad. I may not have any students. Everyone is too busy at some lake or other this weekend to get lessons lined up for the fall term. Today? After being in town I made mr. ale happy with one of his favorite meals, glazed ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and applesauce. Root beer on the side.
    Mr. Ale is a lucky guy. Does he ever take you out to dinner?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    03 Sep '13 02:171 edit
    Originally posted by ale1552

    Then you must be staying home just like the ales. I am a bit slow but tomorrow we will have potato salad. I may not have any students. Everyone is too busy at some lake or other this weekend to get lessons lined up for the fall term. Today? After being in town I made mr. ale happy with one of his favorite meals, glazed ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and applesauce. Root beer on the side.
    by KGW Staff
    Bio | Email | Follow: @KGWNews
    Posted on September 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    Updated today at 3:57 PM

    "WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Millions of Americans will be heading home Monday after enjoying the long Labor Day weekend. More than 34 million Americans traveled at least 50 miles from home, a four-percent increase from last year, according to the American Automobile Association.

    Analysts said they believe the increase in holiday travel can be linked to an uptick in the economy as well as optimism about the housing market. “AAA is forecasting a lift in Labor Day travel this year due to the increasingly positive economic outlook and optimism in the housing market,” said AAA President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet. “For many Americans, their home is also their biggest asset, as home prices improve in many parts of the country more families are feeling comfortable about traveling this Labor Day holiday.”

    AAA also concluded that 85 percent of travelers went by automobile this year. Air travel was expected to increase nearly three percent over 2012, to 2.61 million."

    Wonder how many of the "More than 34 million Americans traveled at least 50 miles from home..."
    are Red Hot Pawn Members (who contribute regularly to its General Forum). lol
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97046
    03 Sep '13 02:29
    I was going to reply then I remembered that I'm not American.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    03 Sep '13 03:08
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I was going to reply then I remembered that I'm not American.
    GBS: Honorary American (for the day). Reply away....
  8. Joined
    31 Oct '07
    Moves
    91258
    03 Sep '13 04:53
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Mr. Ale is a lucky guy. Does he ever take you out to dinner?
    He used to. But I take him out to dinner now....if he is up to it.
  9. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    13105
    03 Sep '13 12:54
    Originally posted by ale1552
    He used to. But I take him out to dinner now....if he is up to it.
    You spelled "labour" wrong. Sorry to be persnickety, but I hate American spelling.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    03 Sep '13 13:31
    Originally posted by Tygert
    You spelled "labour" wrong. Sorry to be persnickety, but I hate American spelling.
    And you spelt spelt wrong. I hate smarty-pants kids.
  11. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    03 Sep '13 15:13
    Originally posted by Tygert
    You spelled "labour" wrong. Sorry to be persnickety, but I hate American spelling.
    If you hate American spelling, you must be pretty annoyed most of the time. There are many Americans on this site. 🙂
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35761
    03 Sep '13 15:50
    Originally posted by Tygert
    You spelled "labour" wrong. Sorry to be persnickety, but I hate American spelling.
    And I hate French spelling. Especially when the English use it.

    "Labor Day" is a holiday in America. So it is NOT misspelled.

    "Labour Day" is a holiday in most other English speaking countries, except England, curiously.
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    525822
    03 Sep '13 15:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And I hate French spelling. Especially when the English use it.

    "Labor Day" is a holiday in America. So it is NOT misspelled.

    "Labour Day" is a holiday in most other English speaking countries, except England, curiously.
    It is Tag der Arbeit in Germany and celebrated 1st of May 😉
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35761
    03 Sep '13 16:01
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    It is Tag der Arbeit in Germany and celebrated 1st of May 😉
    Many countries celebrate a similar day on May 1.

    Is this "Day of Work"?

    Oh, wait. I now see that Arbeit translates to English directly as "labor" or "work". So "Day of Labor"/"Labor Day". Got it.
  15. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    03 Sep '13 16:07
    Here is a link about Swedish traditions on the first day of May.

    http://somethingswedish.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/the-first-of-may/
Back to Top