1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 15:362 edits
    @Very-Rusty
    His persona has not changed in all the time I've been here. He seems to be a professional contrairian. I guess I just made up a word🙂
    Anyway thanks for the thumb up!
  2. Playing with matches
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 17:11
    @sonhouse said
    But got back with same company this week! I'm BAAACK😉 Our company makes thermal print heads, the guts of the little machines you see in grocery stores giving receipts and gas station receipts and bar code readers. One of the few in the US in that manufacturing niche.
    I can only assume this is some kind of work release program or a government subsidized senior employment deal.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 19:40
    @Kegge
    So I guess you and woodhead are sucking off the system, living off the dole, eh.
  4. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 21:45
    Well done sonhouse.
    I have friends in their 40's and 50's bitchin that they can't retire yet.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 23:37
    @sonhouse

Tally ho !

We live in a society which tends to idolize youth; it is reassuring to know that at least one company still values experience.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 00:23
    I always found a good age to hire was men from 28 through to 38 and women from 23 through to 28. The former are past puberty and in hock with the mortgage and kids, and the later often haven’t had them yet. Hiring “young” people under 23 is a disaster in my profession. They are like puppies, made up massive amounts of unfettered annoying energy and lacking in the experience to focus it. Good fun though.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 00:55
    @divegeester

It depends a bit on what line of business you're in. Professional dancers are lucky if they still find work after 32; most of them have damaged knees by then.

On the other hand, whenever I board a plane, I glance into the cockpit to get a look at the captain and the pilot. I prefer a grey-haired (or not-prematurely bald) captain, with thousands of flying hours, and a younger pilot (with faster reflexes). Good combination.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 01:30
    @moonbus said
    It depends a bit on what line of business you're in.
    Indeed, but as a general rule, I recommend ~ at least, to those that have a skill set that lends itself to it ~ self-employment and picking and choosing what you do and for whom.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 01:46
    @FMF

I myself have been self-unemployed for many years. I pick and choose the gigs and the venues as I please. Being a captive employee gave me gastritis; it cleared up right away when I went freelance.
  10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 12:05
    @moonbus said
    @FMF

I myself have been self-unemployed for many years. I pick and choose the gigs and the venues as I please. Being a captive employee gave me gastritis; it cleared up right away when I went freelance.
    I currently have three jobs. One for a soulless corporation. The other two for me. I am awesome at all of them.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 13:04
    @hand-of-hecate said
    I currently have three jobs. One for a soulless corporation. The other two for me. I am awesome at all of them.
    And as always very modest! 😛

-VR
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 13:41
    @fmf said
    Indeed, but as a general rule, I recommend ~ at least, to those that have a skill set that lends itself to it ~ self-employment and picking and choosing what you do and for whom.
    Ditto but sometimes it takes time and some experience in the field you choose to determine what your expertise is or what ir will be. It takes a certain kind of person to be self employed.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 13:511 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    Ditto but sometimes it takes time and some experience in the field you choose to determine what your expertise is or what ir will be. It takes a certain kind of person to be self employed.
    You just have to believe in what you are doing and take a chance and be surrounded by people who know more than you do....I have a buddy became a millionaire from Business Management and not knowing a thing about the business himself. How do I know I was his right hand until I decided to branch off on my own which I did, after I learned how to do payroll, purchasing, receiving, No he wasn't happy when I started outbidding him on some contracts. I didn't teach him everything I knew, just enough for him to get by with a potential client.

Hardest part of the job for me was firing someone, but gave them every chance I could before doing that. It is a difficult thing to have to do but is part of the job. The worst part in my opinion. You can only teach and help someone so much after that they have to pull their load.

-VR
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 13:55
    @very-rusty said
    You just have to believe in what you are doing and take a chance and be surrounded by people who know more than you do....I have a buddy became a millionaire from Business Management and not knowing a thing about the business himself. How do I know I was his right hand until I decided to brance off on my own which I did, after I learned how to do payroll, purchasing, recei ...[text shortened]... opinion. You can only teach and help someone so much after that they have to pull their load.

-VR
    Although I had supervised people in my job life and had to "let people go", when I became independent (self employed) I was the only one so the only person I could fire was myself and I was too good at what I did to do that.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 14:02
    @great-big-stees said
    Although I had supervised people in my job life and had to "let people go", when I became independent (self employed) I was the only one so the only person I could fire was myself and I was too good at what I did to do that.
    And I thought I was small business!! 😉

You had a one man show going on with no employees...less stress though in many ways.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree