1. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 12:24
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    Sorry -- I got distracted. I had no prior interest in the movie because all I'd heard of it was the title. I read the article and was both fascinated and horrified. Thanks for posting it!
    The facts are horrifying - the film is warmhearted, unsentimental and in some parts even humorous.
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 20:38
    'Frozen', Walt Disney.

I was with my daughter and my two youngest grandchildren, 5 and 13. I usually love animation movies, but not this one so much and neither did the kids. The youngest was too young for this film, the 13-year old was not as impressed as he usually is - too much singing, too little action.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 20:41
    Would you believe that I can't even remember?
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 21:01
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I thought that video and DVD would be the end for cinemas but that didn't happen. People still go to the movies a lot but it's a different experience now - the screen is much bigger, the sound is much louder and better, popcorn and coke all around.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 04:41
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Was it a talkie?
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 15:01
    Two Saturdays ago I saw American hustle. Wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. But I love all four of those main actors and actresses though.

This past Saturday I saw a Lone survivor. That movie makes me angry.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 15:27
    In February in Cinematheque there are several "In memoriam" cycles
    Rossana Podesta
    ("Le ore nude" and "homo Eroticus"😉
    Georges Lautner
    ("Le seins de glace", "On aura tout vu"😉.

Then there is a cycle of David Lynsh's films.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 22:36
    Two films in a row , in Cinematheque.
    "La ore nude" or Naked Hours was the first. It was hommage to Rossana Podesta who died last December. Based on Alberto Moravia's novel "Appuntamento al mare". Art film. Keir Dullea, who later starred in Kubricks Odyssey, played a young student of astrophysics (!; funny).

The second - light, silly comedy "Homo Eroticus" with Lando Buzzanca.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 23:09
    The Monuments Men, a fictionalized account based on the true story of the "men and women from thirteen nations who comprised the MFAA section during World War II. Many were museum directors, curators, art historians, artists, architects, and educators. Together they worked to protect monuments and other cultural treasures from the destruction of World War II. In the last year of the war, they tracked, located, and in the years that followed returned more than five million artistic and cultural items stolen by Hitler and the Nazis."

http://www.monumentsmen.com/the-monuments-men/monuments-men-roster
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Feb '14 18:13
    Originally posted by JS357
    The Monuments Men, a fictionalized account based on the true story of the "men and women from thirteen nations who comprised the MFAA section during World War II. Many were museum directors, curators, art historians, artists, architects, and educators. Together they worked to protect monuments and other cultural treasures from the destruction of World War II. ...[text shortened]... by Hitler and the Nazis."

http://www.monumentsmen.com/the-monuments-men/monuments-men-roster
    I read the article in Smithsonian magazine about this group. Fascinating.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '14 22:56
    Today again double programme
    18:30 "Le pacha" from 1968 with Jean Gabin.
    Very fast and furious, modern noir crime story in British, almost american style of seventies...

20:30 "Les seins de glace" with Alain Delon, Mireille Darc and Claude Brassseur.
    Yes, "Peggy Lister" (gorgeous Mireille Darc) is crazy.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 11:30
    A few days ago - Vertigo in Cinemateque.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 12:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Thor: The Dark World

I'm a comic-book geek. I've seen all the movies based on Marvel's characters (I love Stan Lee!), and significantly fewer movies based on DC Comics characters (I missed the last Batman movie AND the last Superman movie). I'll be right there when the Captain America sequel comes out in April.

But I *still* have yet to see Catching Fire. 😞
    Never as good as the original comics been a fan since the 60s nearest to the original the first hellboy then Constantine the worst Daredevil and Dc stuff is and always was pants( and I am still not vince)
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 12:10
    Sabitage was an awesome movie.
  15. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 08:08
    "The Book Thief" (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816442/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree