1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 16:34
    @ponderable said
    So at least in Germany "Sonnenufgang" is defined, when you observe the sun coming over the horizon, that the incoming light is actually a bit dated at that time is not of relevance.
    Since the sun is emitting the light in all directions (quai) homogenously. The light is alredy 8 minutes travelling, but is arrives directly at the sunrise time.
    You’re just getting yourself mixed up with with you see, and what has actually happened when you watch a sunrise.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 16:361 edit
    @suzianne said
    Gravity bends light. The more gravity you have, the more the light bends.

and

Light doesn't need a vacuum to "get bent" (refract).
    Well… I’m not sure that that is entirely accurate.

David Burton has a good question; how can light with no mass be bent by gravity.

The answer is along the lines of … gravity warps space and therefore impacts the lines of direction along which light can travel. Light itself is not affected by gravity.

It’s something like that.
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '24
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 16:382 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 16:41
    Regarding car headlights and the speed of light, I recall an old wise warning in driving school, and it was that we should never overdrive our headlights.

Who says we can't go faster than the speed of light? In light of imagination we can leave light standing still..... warp drive. Just warped imagination?

Just another theory, as far as not being able to travel faster than light. If man can imagine it, it can be done..... some day. But on that day we will not be able to see the light of day, as it will always be in the past, trying to catch up.

Light is indeed amazing for those who can see it directly, and not as mere reflection.

YouTube
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 06:43
    @divegeester said
    I’m a Sagan fan too! I have Cosmos on VHS somewhere in the loft.

You know, despite all the forum stuff, I think we’d get on pretty well in real life.
    Nah you are to far to the right for me and a royalist,we have a different perspective on life and have no common denominator in humour or music.you are far to vanilla for me.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 07:05
    @david-burton said
    Nah you are to far to the right for me and a royalist,we have a different perspective on life and have no common denominator in humour or music.you are far to vanilla for me.
    I’m not far right, I’m not a Royalist, i have the same “perspective on life” as most people including yourself. Everyone loves vanilla.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 09:001 edit
    @divegeester said
    I’m not far right, I’m not a Royalist, i have the same “perspective on life” as most people including yourself. Everyone loves vanilla.
    you see your quasi- parochial lifestyle as virtuous,I see it as safe
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 09:07
    @david-burton said
    you see your quasi- parochial lifestyle as virtuous,I see it as safe
    What are you on about? 😄
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 09:521 edit
    @divegeester said
    What are you on about? 😄
    Exactly.you personify the status quo( they would be to rock n roll your more ELO or Queen or Elton)
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 11:35
    @david-burton said
    Exactly.you personify the status quo( they would be to rock n roll your more ELO or Queen or Elton)
    Are you upset with me again David.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 11:47
    @divegeester said
    My old nemesis at one point or other you get everyone upset with you, to put it VERY Politely. 🙂

-VR
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 12:47
    @very-rusty said
    My old nemesis at one point or other you get everyone upset with you, to put it VERY Politely. 🙂

-VR
    I’m sure David Burton can answer for himself Rusty.

And I’m not your nemesis; you wish 😆
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 12:54
    @divegeester said
    Nah just pointing out that we are poles apart....you adored the Beatles me the Stones you pop & soft rock I am progressive blues,you liked Friends and I liked the end of the fixxxng world.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 13:44
    @david-burton said
    Nah just pointing out that we are poles apart....you adored the Beatles me the Stones you pop & soft rock I am progressive blues,you liked Friends and I liked the end of the fixxxng world.
    I don’t think we are poles apart; you’re making assumptions here.

I’m a Stones fan over the Beatles; Floyd, Zeppelin, Free, Hendrix. And I also like ELO and whatever music takes my fancy.

Anyway, is musical taste such a divider or people in your mind?
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 14:31
    @divegeester said
    I’m sure David Burton can answer for himself Rusty.

And I’m not your nemesis; you wish 😆
    Yup you're my nemesis for sure and reason I left Metallica! 😛

Not a doubt in mind old chap!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree