1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 21:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I really love Star Trek the original series; it's just brilliant! Never really got into the politically correct TNG nor any of the boring spin offs. The new movies are suberb imo.
    I'm not a big fan of J.J. Abrams and his penchant for "rebooting" film franchises. That being said, Zachary Quinto does have some big boots to fill. It's poignant to recall that Leonard Nimoy was given casting approval to cast Spock in the new Star Trek franchise and had approved of Quinto taking on the role.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 21:171 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm not a big fan of J.J. Abrams and his penchant for "rebooting" film franchises. That being said, Zachary Quinto does have some big boots to fill. It's poignant to recall that Leonard Nimoy was given casting approval to cast Spock in the new Star Trek franchise and had approved of Quinto taking on the role.
    Not sure if you saw my edit.

Yes he does have big boots to fill, they all do. Scotty character while amusing, doesn't really work for me, but a young Kirk is pulled off pretty well by Pine. I liked the childhood Kirk in the 1st "re-boot".

I hope the Star Wars "re-boot" works btw. without Lucas it should have a chance!
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 21:53
    Not sure if you saw my edit.

Yes he does have big boots to fill, they all do. Scotty character while amusing, doesn't really work for me, but a young Kirk is pulled off pretty well by Pine. I liked the childhood Kirk in the 1st "re-boot".

I hope the Star Wars "re-boot" works btw. without Lucas it should have a chance!
    I am too young to have enjoyed the original series, but I caught most of it in syndication and I saw all the movies with the old cast. It is a revered sci-fi franchise, one for the ages.

It's only Abrams' 'alternate timeline' I don't like. Vulcan was destroyed? Really?? I don't see how you can mess with the old universe in that way. I agree, though. Pine is excellent, eh, Scotty was 'so-so'. I was impressed with Quinto, he brought more to the character than I thought was possible, for a newcomer.

I think as long as Abrams stays away from "messing with the story-universe", the new SW movie will be okay. However, I think its "suck-factor" will be in direct proportion to how much it changes what is already "canon".
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 22:12
    I am too young to have enjoyed the original series,..
    Me too!

Just saying

Re-runs et al
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 07:13
    Me too!

Just saying

Re-runs et al
    Unfortunately / fortunately I am old enough to remember the first run it was a revelation and apparently it was done on a 'shoestring'.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 13:26
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Unfortunately / fortunately I am old enough to remember the first run it was a revelation and apparently it was done on a 'shoestring'.
    Yeah, if you've seen any "blooper" reels, you can see just how cheap the sets were (people falling through walls, chairs falling apart when sat on, etc.). They looked great though.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 17:04
    Yeah, if you've seen any "blooper" reels, you can see just how cheap the sets were (people falling through walls, chairs falling apart when sat on, etc.). They looked great though.
    I remember seeing some of the original cast being interviewed and the first communicators were something really mad like a cigarette packet but at 12 yrs of age I thought it looked amazing, telly highlight of the week by a country mile.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 09:51
    "It's only Abrams' 'alternate timeline' I don't like."

I concur. The new time line makes a lot of the original ST stories impossible.

The new Bones is awful. Both the actor (his delivery is too much "everything I'm supposed to say is SO important!" ) and his lines ('he's-dead,-Jim-cliches).

The new Uhura is terrific. Three cheers for Zoe Saldana. Great actress; I'm glad she landed the part.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree