1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 00:231 edit
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    I believe the thread was closed for technical reasons by the site owner.
    My recollection is - there was an original thread by Starrman (which was probably closed because of the server time it took to load the whole thread each time someone clicked on it), in which the thread closing post suggested that a replacement thread be started (which probably means there was no problem with the concept or content). Then there was another thread called something like Word Association Number 2 (which I can't locate now). I don't think it grew to anything like the original size, and I don't know whose name it bears or how to find it.

The ability to change thread names and poster names means that long-distance tracking is more difficult than it would be otherwise. Think researching male ancestors (fixed surnames) compared to female ancestors (multiple surnames). You have to feel sorry for future anthropologists researching the genealogy of the babies now being born into blended hyphenated optional surname families!
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 00:40
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    My recollection is - there was an original thread by Starrman (which was probably closed because of the server time it took to load the whole thread each time someone clicked on it), in which the thread closing post suggested that a replacement thread be started (which probably means there was no problem with the concept or content). Then there was another ...[text shortened]... ng the genealogy of the babies now being born into blended hyphenated optional surname families!
    This is Starrman's thread:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/general/word-association-game.16193
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 01:242 edits
    This is Starrman's thread:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/general/word-association-game.16193
    and here's another:
    https://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/forum/general/word-association-game--ver-1-2.87696
    and another:
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/general/word-association-game-2.96229

So:
    16193 created by Starrman on 10 November 2004, ended by Forum Moderator at page 3371 on 19 February 2008 {50551 posts}
    87696 created by rbmorris on 20 February 2008 with the opening post of simply "Starrman", ended by pawnhandler on 16 March 2008. {307 posts}
    96229 created by Rapidfyre on 2 July 2008, ended by Handy Andy at page 1248 on 7 April 2016. {18712 posts}
    Last two threads probably closed when the new 60-day rule was introduced.

Starrman definitely deserves credit for the whole set, all 69,570 posts. 😀

This has been an entertaining bit of activity for me, but it's made me realise just how much bumpf we're putting out there every day in just this one forum. 🙄
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 02:591 edit
    and here's another:
    https://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/forum/general/word-association-game--ver-1-2.87696
    and another:
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/general/word-association-game-2.96229
    So:
    16193 created by Starrman on 10 November 2004, ended by Forum Moderator at page 3371 on 19 February 2008 {50551 posts}
    87696 created by rbmorris on 20 Fe ade me realise just how much bumpf we're putting out there every day in just this one forum. 🙄
    69,570 posts -- we may have written a great novel!

All we need to do is to shuffle the words to put them in proper order.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 16:14
    This has been an entertaining bit of activity for me, but it's made me realise just how much bumpf we're putting out there every day in just this one forum. 🙄
    Seriously, I wouldn't refer to the WAG as bumpf. It was, at best, an exercise in thinking outside the box.

Now the Sticky Thread Game... that's bumpf.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 17:18
    Seriously, I wouldn't refer to the WAG as bumpf. It was, at best, an exercise in thinking outside the box.

STG - it is, I agree.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 17:37

Why not stick that response in the STG?
  8. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 07:38
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    I thought about this question and of course came up with...Maybe Ponderable?
    That guy seems to have been silent for some days...
    RL anyone.

But it showed that others are apt to fill in anyway..so some encouraging experience.

Imyself am a bit astonished that tge last word threats die comparatively easy and young.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 10:25
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    That guy seems to have been silent for some days...
    RL anyone.

But it showed that others are apt to fill in anyway..so some encouraging experience.

Imyself am a bit astonished that tge last word threats die comparatively easy and young.
    It depends on the determination of the thread's creator, doesn't it?
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Aug '18 05:31
    It depends on the determination of the thread's creator, doesn't it?
    It also depends on people playing on.
    Ice Cold hasn't been seen in a while I believe...
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '18 05:35

I prefer the bumf spelling. Sticky nevertheless.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree