hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have
    developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in
    . Machinery that
    gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made
    us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much
    and feel too little
    . More than machinery we need humanity. More
    than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these
    qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost ...
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Jul '15 02:171 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    [b]Greed has poisoned men’s souls, has barricaded the world with
    hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have
    developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in
    . Machinery that
    gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made
    us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think ...[text shortened]... and gentleness. [i]Without these
    qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost ...
    [/b]
    Let us fight to free the world! To do away with national barriers! To do away with greed, with hate
    and intolerance! Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead
    to all men's happiness. Soldiers, in the name of democracy, let us all unite!
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Jul '15 07:30
    Correct, amigo.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jul '15 11:45
    Someone just discovered the ending of The Great Dictator?
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Jul '15 12:03
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    *ahem* you were the ones who discovered him late, then kicked him
    out for being a suspected commie.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Jul '15 13:10
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    It must be you. We've known about him for 75 years.
  7. Rohan
    Moves
    09 Jul '15 13:13
    Professor Irwin Corey:

However... accept this financial stipulation - ah - stipend in behalf of, uh, Richard Python for the great contribution and to quote from some of the missiles which he has contributed...Today we must all be aware that protocol takes precedence over procedure. Howewer you say - WHAT THE - what does this mean... in relation to the tabulation whereby we must once again realize that the great fiction story is now being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the Nixon administration... indicating that only an American writer can receive...the award for fction, unlike Solzinitski whose fiction doesn't hold water. Comrades - friends, we are gathered here not only to accept in behalf of one recluse - one who has found that the world in itself which seems to be a time not of the toad - to quote even Studs TurKAL. And many people ask "Who are Studs TurKAL?" It's not "Who are Studs TurKAL?" it's "Who am Studs TurKAL?" This in itself as an edifice of the great glory that has gone beyond, and the intuitive feeling of the American people, based on the assumption that the intelligence not only as Mencken once said, "He who underestimates the American pubic - public, will not go broke." This is merely a small indication of this vast throng gathered here to once again behold and to perceive that which has gone behind and to that which might go forward into the future...we've got to hurdle these obstacles. This is the main deterrent upon which we have gathered our strength and all the others who say, "What the hell did that get?" - We don't know. We've got to peforce withold the loving boy... And as Miller once said in one of his great novels- what did he ... that language is only necessary when communication is endangered. And you sit there bewildered, and Pinter who went further said "It is not the lack of communication but fear of communication." That's what the Goddamn thing is it's we fear - communication. Oh - fortunately the prize has only been given to authors - unlike the Academy Award which is given to a female and a male, indicating the derision of the human specie - God damn it! But we have no paranoia, and Mr. Pynchon has attained, and has created for himself serenity, and it is only the insanity that has kept him alive in his paranoia. We speak of the organ...of the orgasm...Who the hell wrote this? And the jury has determined to divide the prize between two writers - to Thomas Pynchon for his GRAVITY'S RAINBOW. Now GRAVITY'S RAINBOW is a token of this man's genius...he told me so himself...that he could...in other words, have been more specific, but rather than to allude the mundane, he has come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our shallow existence. God damn. Ladies and Gentlemen. To the distinguished panel on the, on the dais and to the other winners, for poetry and religion and science. The time will come when religion will outlive its usefulness. Marx, Groucho Marx, once said that religion is the opiate of the people. I say that when religion outlives its usefulness, then opium...will be the opiate...Ahh that's not a bad idea... All right...However, I want to thank Mr. Guinzburg, Tom Guinzburg of the Viking Press, who has made it possible for you people to be here this evening to enjoy the Friction Citation - the Fiction Citation. GRAVITY'S RAINBOW - a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over three and a half billion people in the world today. 218 of them ... million live in the United States which is a very, very small amount compared to those that are dying elsewhere...Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where sex is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality, it's not easy to conform if you have any morality...I, I, I said that myself many years ago...But I do want to thank the bureau...I mean the committee, the organization for the $10,000 they've given out...tonight they made over $400,000 and I think that I have another appointment. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, I want to thank Mr. TurKAL. I want to thank Mr. Knopf who just ran through the auditorium* and I want to thank Breshnev, Kissinger - acting President of the Unites States - and also want to thank Truman Capote and thank you.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Jul '15 20:29
    "I confess that I am sitting under a pine tree doing absolutely nothing. I have done nothing for one hour and firmly intend to continue to do nothing for an indefinite period. I have taken my shoes off. I confess that I have been listening to a mockingbird. I hear him singing in those cedars, and I am very sorry. It is probably my fault. He is singing again. This kind of thing goes on all the time. Wherever I am, I find myself the center of reactionary plots like this one."
    --Thomas Merton,
    A Signed Confession of Crimes Against the State
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 01:44
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    It must be you. We've known about him for 75 years.
    "We" have known about him for 75 years?
    Ya got a terd in yer pocket?
    I've always liked the end speech, known about since I was in high school, that's 50 years ago.
    Here's the real deal, it's a great piece of cinema, notice how he doesn't blink all the way through.

YouTube
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 02:48
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Let us fight to free the world! To do away with national barriers! To do away with greed, with hate
    and intolerance! Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead
    to all men's happiness. Soldiers, in the name of democracy, let us all unite!
    Sounds a bit like H G Wells, who I have been reading lately. The World Set Free was fascinating, if flawed. If you can get hold of Google and the World Brain, I highly recommend it (it's a TV doc).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree