1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 01:13
    Any interesting examples from your own life?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 01:56
    They don't have to be spectacular. In fact, if you have astonishing examples of make-mend-and-do, save them for page 20+ of this thread so as not to inhibit other contributors early on.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 02:56
    Alternatively, we could just try thinking of ways to make-do-and-mend this thread.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 04:401 edit
    Hailstorm, roof damage. Insurance paid out $350 to replace water-damaged furniture.
    Someone on the train suggested lemon juice. Figuring that was acidic but not having any lemons, bought a bottle of white vinegar for 40c. It did a sterling job of removing all the brown water stains and we had $349.60 left over for new stuff ...

Is this the sort of thing you want here, or are you looking for things fixed with duct tape?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 05:07
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Is this the sort of thing you want here, or are you looking for things fixed with duct tape?
    Even if what you've told us is all we get, I will consider this a thread a success.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 07:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Even if what you've told us is all we get, I will consider this a thread a success.
    You're easily pleased. 🙂

Your cute little avatar has BIG ears ....
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 09:35
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    You're easily pleased. 🙂

Your cute little avatar has BIG ears ....
    When I replace the avatar with a picture of me, I might then look back at this comment and be offended! 😛
  8. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 10:50
    An bad driver once drove her car into the right front side of mine. Her Insurance company gave me € 500 for the damage. It didn't let it repair because the dent gave the car so much more character. I spend the money on a hookers and booze.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 11:17
    In my wife's Murano, it has those radio key fobs where you only need the fob to be in the car to start the engine. So we lost one after a play we attended which had a granddaugter in it. The replacement was hundreds of dollars.

Then I got the idea, told wife and she did it.

If the fob was lost inside the car, the car would start as normal.

So she did and it did! Saved a bunch on that bit, it was buried on the floor slipping by the seat.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 16:18
    An old Subaru, got it for free, and I held it together with baling wire and chewing gum!

The baling wire replaced the missing accelerator cable, and the gum held the side-view mirror in place after it popped out of the frame.

Also, there were huge rust holes on the floorboard near the pedals. Road rocks would come flying into the cab and bounce around. Solved that problem with a bath mat.

Called the poor vehicle 'pooter'. Sold it for parts for $20. It was still running, too.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 17:37
    As children we had no sledge, so we took the big sacks in which peat had been sold and rdoe on these. It was fun. (Later we got sledges)
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 10:04
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    As children we had no sledge, so we took the big sacks in which peat had been sold and rdoe on these. It was fun. (Later we got sledges)
    When I was a kid, sent to summer camp, we used corrugated aluminum as sledges down this nice green covered hill. That's when I found out I was immune to poison Ivy🙂 The rest of the crew were not so lucky.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree