Martians if they were so clever

Martians if they were so clever

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
20 Dec 14

Speaking of e.t.-life, all my life I have been listening the following "explanation": aliens don't come (yet!) because they aren't sure if they will be welcomed.

But. Everyone knows that aliens read people's mind. So they must be capable to determine which Earthian is friendly toward them. Even more they should be capable to learn everything the need to know by themselves.

This is ontological-teleological arument for non-existence of aliens.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
20 Dec 14

Everyone knows that aliens read people's minds

Eh ! how everyone know this ?

w

Moves
21 Dec 14

Of course the aliens have "infected" our DNA already. Just a matter of time now.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Dec 14

Originally posted by vandervelde
Speaking of e.t.-life, all my life I have been listening the following "explanation": aliens don't come (yet!) because they aren't sure if they will be welcomed.

But. Everyone knows that aliens read people's mind. So they must be capable to determine which Earthian is friendly toward them. Even more they should be capable to learn everything the nee ...[text shortened]... to know by themselves.

They could just be too far away?

How far to Proxima Centauri? Hw long a travel at sub-light speed? Is it worth the effort?

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Dec 14
2 edits

Originally posted by vandervelde

But. Everyone knows that aliens read people's mind. So they must be capable to determine which Earthian is friendly toward them. Even more they should be capable to learn everything the nee ...[text shortened]... to know by themselves.

We're too primitive to be interesting to any species capable of interstellar (or time) travel. They're ignoring us.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
21 Dec 14

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/1943149.jpg

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
21 Dec 14

Originally posted by moonbus
We're too primitive to be interesting to any species capable of interstellar (or time) travel. They're ignoring us.
They are secretly recording all our activities and running it as a sitcom back on their home world. I personally saw it on an episode of South Park several years ago.

Moves
21 Dec 14

Originally posted by moonbus
They can read minds. And they've read the minds of the Belgians, and thought: "nah, not worth the trip".

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
21 Dec 14

Originally posted by caissad4
They are secretly recording all our activities and running it as a sitcom back on their home world. I personally saw it on an episode of South Park several years ago.
Yes I saw it and unlike the Truman Show it showed all the gritty bits, people picking their noses, farting, going to the lavvy (john) French kissing , 69 ing pissing and puking the whole nine yards of human life.I wouldn't pay to see it again.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
02 Jan 15

Originally posted by The Gravedigger
Everyone knows that aliens read people's minds

Eh ! how everyone know this ?
There is a nice SF story I read many years ago, wher the invading aliens realized after some time, that there are no humans, just different kinds of aliens who took over....

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
03 Jan 15

http://tinyurl.com/RHP-FORUMS

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Jan 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Ponderable
They could just be too far away?

How far to Proxima Centauri? Hw long a travel at sub-light speed? Is it worth the effort?
Even at 1/20th of c the trip from Centauri to here would a mere 80 years. A couple of generations of humans but if the alleged aliens lived for a thousand years....

The real deal is the life span of civilizations. For instance, our home galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. So signals from Earth have been going out in an expanding radius of about 100 light years so far.

First just electric noise then modulated morse code and such then audio, then video and data and now it seems clear we are headed for a more quiet RF environment and a hundred years from now there may not even be TV and radio stations as we know them now.

But instead all wifi'd to the hilt so just about every spot on earth can utilize RF signals of a watt or so and at that point the expanding wavefront or RF signature will effectively halt.

So supposing that takes not a couple hundred years but give it a thousand years. So we imagine a moving wavefront 1000 light years in radius which then ceases.

So that wavefront travels through the galaxy and a hundred thousand years later there are no more signals coming from Earth. Doesn't matter why, they will just cease. So if the same thing happens to other technological civilizations, even if they last 10,000 years, there is room for 10 such civilizations to come and go and nobody the wiser.

That is most likely why we have never detected any advanced civilization in our galaxy even though our equipment is sensitive enough to detect US all the way across the galaxy, assuming our signal and that detection happened at the same time.

So chances are, a galaxy gets one advanced civilization at a time. And now it's our turn and we won't find much of ANY advanced life in the galaxy even assuming we get all the fancy sci fi faster than light propulsion systems.

Worm holes, space benders, whatever, we will probably find, say we are able to go out into the galaxy at a million times the speed of light starting a thousand years from now, we could at least get close enough to detect small signatures of life anywhere in the galaxy.

I suspect we will find only ancient dead civilizations, lots of archaeology to study though. Maybe even new technologies we didn't think of but no living advanced life. I have no doubt we will find life of some sort but very unlikely for any of that to be even in the level of ancient Rome.