1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Dec '15 22:56
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And yes, I will quibble about the term "mass shooting" since it has become a loaded term meant to instill fear while a closer look at the data from this list reveals the term is applied with a complete lack of discrimination or accuracy... but plenty of intent!
    If one is killed in a shooting I don't think it makes it any
    better or any worse whether you call it a "mass shooting" or not.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 00:08
    I definitely think the person intent on wide-spread damage would think more closely, were they to believe the intent will likely fall short by virtue of a heavily-armed populace.
    Be that as it may or may not be, the question I asked was: would the number of gun deaths fall ~ in your estimation ~ if every person of legal age carried firearms?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 00:141 edit
    Between the two of them, I side with those whose positions allows people to protect themselves from tyranny.
    When you talk about people protecting themselves from "tyranny", you mean that you side with those who assert the right to shoot government officials or employees at a time of their choosing if they deem the government's actions to be tyrannical, is that right?
  4. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 00:44
    I definitely think the person intent on wide-spread damage would think more closely, were they to believe the intent will likely fall short by virtue of a heavily-armed populace.
    Surely the very people who go on these insane killing sprees are the most unlikely people to stop and rationally consider the consequences of their actions?
    The Daesh "inspired" folk are really not going to care - they'd probably more likely to welcome the martyrdom they think they'll get.

Right now in the US there are just as many guns as people - does that not constitute an already heavily armed populace? I don't see much of a deterrent effect going on.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 07:16
    it relates to telling the truth.

I side with those whose positions allows people to protect themselves from tyranny.
    1. Rrrrright. I trust a lot when anybody tells me that they are holders of the ultimate, scientific truth.

2. Which tyranny? The tyranny of consumerism and the 1%? Fine work you've done there, chaps, keep it up.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 18:55
    Interesting article by Mark Follman in today's edition of Mother Jones:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/no-there-were-not-355-mass-shootings-this-year
  7. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 19:10
    a heavily armed populace would have everyone walking on pins and needles
    not a very comforting feeling
    I dread the thought of my neighbors being armed
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 22:11
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    a heavily armed populace would have everyone walking on pins and needles
    not a very comforting feeling
    I dread the thought of my neighbors being armed
    I think you'd be amazed at how respectful people become knowing the other guy is packing heat, too.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 22:14
    Originally posted by Seitse
    1. Rrrrright. I trust a lot when anybody tells me that they are holders of the ultimate, scientific truth.

2. Which tyranny? The tyranny of consumerism and the 1%? Fine work you've done there, chaps, keep it up.
    Touche on the 1%, but since I already agree with the idea they are all traitors, you can't really dock me much.

It really comes down to gun or no gun.
    The citizenry retain their guns or the state only is allowed.
    No matter which way you look at it, it's a power play.
    I say power to the people, man.
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 22:35
    I think you'd be amazed at how respectful people become knowing the other guy is packing heat, too.
    I think the word "fearful" would be the descriptive word
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 22:51
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I think the word "fearful" would be the descriptive word
    Sounds pithy, but it's a superficial conclusion not based on a thorough analysis.

"Fearful" is what the citizenry would be in the case of the state holding all the power in the form of advanced weaponry.
    Here in the States, the limited government was formed with a wary eye on the pervasive nature of historical ruling parties and the distrust was so deep-seated, the Second Amendment to the Constitution listed a well-armed citizenry as THE safeguard to keep in place.

Once the State holds all of the power, we would all be fearful--- just out of respect, of course.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 23:08
    Sounds pithy, but it's a superficial conclusion not based on a thorough analysis.

Here in the States, the limited government was formed with a wary eye on the pervasive nature of historical ruling parties and the distrust was so deep-seated, the Second Amendment to the Constitution listed a well-armed citizenry as THE safeguard to keep in place.

Explain how that safeguard works.
    Describe [i]any[/i[ scenario where armed civilians are
    going to prevent government tyranny (or whatever it is you fear)
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 06:39
    What do you think the other guy who is "packing heat" will do to people who are not respectful?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Dec '15 17:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Explain how that safeguard works.
    Describe [i]any[/i[ scenario where armed civilians are
    going to prevent government tyranny (or whatever it is you fear)
    I'm imagining the same scenarios as were envisioned by the founders of the country and the framers of the Constitution.

You're not planning on trotting out the 'that was from a group of barely civilized band of marauders 239 years ago' argument, are you?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Dec '15 17:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    What do you think the other guy who is "packing heat" will do to people who are not respectful?
    As much as he thinks he might be get away with and is willing to put his life up for the privilege of obtaining it...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree