1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 10:42
    http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835

Sounds like the dark forces responsible is only interested in destruction.

Does not bode well for the future of the net unless this kind of attack can be defeated before it takes out the whole thing.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835

Does not bode well for the future of the net unless this kind of attack can be defeated before it takes out the whole thing.
    Well, at least RHP is still up and running. 😕

Isn't it only evolution in action anyway? There's a man with a gun over there... let's grab our clubs and attack the clan up in the hills because they have something we don't.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:142 edits

dude it only attacked one company that provides DNS services, half the internet? reality check needed! It was they way it was done that was interesting, really like a bot army of thousands of compromised CCTV cameras made by a Chinese company all sending out requests and able to regenerate IP addresses multiple times.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:151 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    dude it only attacked one company, half the internet? reality check needed!
    I gather you didn't look at the list of sites effected. It's a very long list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/business/internet-problems-attack.html?_r=0
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:201 edit
    I gather you didn't look at the list of sites effected. It's a very long list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/business/internet-problems-attack.html?_r=0
    dude there are lots and lots of DNS root servers all over the world, the idea that it has taken out half the internet is demonstrably false and betrays a lack of understanding of how DNS works. All that was attacked was one company that just happens to provide DNS services to some of the most popular websites.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/22/cyber-attack-hackers-weaponised-everyday-devices-with-malware-to-mount-assault
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:25
    dude there are lots and lots of DNS root servers all over the world, the idea that it has taken out half the internet is demonstrably false and betrays a lack of understanding of how DNS works. All that was attacked was one company that just happens to provide DNS services to some of the most popular websites.
    Oh so that makes it all ok then.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:273 edits
    Oh so that makes it all ok then.
    It doesn't make it ok but it is certainly interesting because a whole zombie army of everyday web enabled devices from CCTV cameras to DVD recorders to i-kettles were used. 😀

Its an evil geniuses dream! Imagine your kettle is compromised and sending out DNS requests! Imagine thousands of kettles and thousands of cctv cameras and thousands of DVD recorders all sending out requests at the same time, multiple times, morphing their IP addresses to make it look like they are from another location then doing it again and again and again, morality aside, you gotta admit that its interesting. Its like a waitress in a restaurant serving food and a hundred thousand people showing up at the same time and demanding to be served, the kitchen would not be able to handle the volume of orders, the waitress would start to pull her hair out and eventually go to pieces from exhaustion. No food would be served and the restaurant would be shut down 😀
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:401 edit
    It doesn't make it ok but it is certainly interesting because a whole zombie army of everyday web enabled devices from CCTV cameras to DVD recorders to i-kettles were used. 😀

Its an evil geniuses dream! Imagine your kettle is compromised and sending out DNS requests! Imagine thousands of kettles and thousands of cctv cameras and thousands of D ...[text shortened]... go to pieces from exhaustion. No food would be served and the restaurant would be shut down 😀
    What I am more worried about is if an attack like this could effect the up coming US presidential election, at best would require a complete overhaul of the voting system, back to a person at a polling place punching a paper rather than entering something on a screen. This is going to come back to bite us in the ass.

"Just'' one server, Dyn, covers half the entire net of the US. Doesn't sound like it would be that much of a bigger deal to attack others in a similar way and mark my words that will be happening. "Just'' one server company, it still took down half the net.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:502 edits
    What I am more worried about is if an attack like this could effect the up coming US presidential election, at best would require a complete overhaul of the voting system, back to a person at a polling place punching a paper rather than entering something on a screen. This is going to come back to bite us in the ass.

"Just'' one server, Dyn, covers half ...[text shortened]... rk my words that will be happening. "Just'' one server company, it still took down half the net.
    Half the entire net of the USA is not half the world! just sayin, but will it lead to a compromise of the voting system? You think that matters?? the system is rigged before you even cast a vote, thats why you have political elites and dynasties like the Bush or Clinton dynasties. Personally morality aside the idea that hackers can turn i-kettles into 'bot armies', I find fascinating. Embrace it and let the evil scientist in you out!
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 11:57

"Just'' one server, Dyn, covers half ...[text shortened]... rk my words that will be happening. "Just'' one server company, it still took down half the net.
    Now that's an interesting point considering that Donald Trump is already indicating he may question the integrity of the election results if he loses.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 04:23
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    Now that's an interesting point considering that Donald Trump is already indicating he may question the integrity of the election results if he loses.
    There's nothing to question: it emphatically is/has been compromised for quite some time.
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 06:09

Its an evil geniuses dream! Imagine your kettle is compromised and sending out DNS requests! Imagine thousands of kettles and thousands of cctv cameras and thousands of D ...[text shortened]... go to pieces from exhaustion. No food would be served and the restaurant would be shut down 😀
    Something like the clan feature being shut down by one clan's use of 3 "bot clans". 😛
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 11:14
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    There's nothing to question: it emphatically is/has been compromised for quite some time.
    So now you are a parrot for Trump too. Good to know where you stand.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 11:55
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37738823

This piece talks about the use of weaknesses inherent in the 'internet of things' where toasters or TV's or refrigerators connected to the net can be taken over and send out zombie data to attack anything they want.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 11:59
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37738823

This piece talks about the use of weaknesses inherent in the 'internet of things' where toasters or TV's or refrigerators connected to the net can be taken over and send out zombie data to attack anything they want.
    yes its brilliant, all those people plugged into the net 24hrs a day, turn on the heating while they come home from work from some mobile app, get a wake up call on their mobiles from an i-kettle that makes tea for them, its automaton Armageddon, imagine your garden sprinkler system being turned into a bot and sending out requests to servers, its just brilliant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree