1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 12:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes its brilliant, all those people plugged into the net 24hrs a day, turn on the heating while they come home from work from some mobile app, get a wake up call on their mobiles from an i-kettle that makes tea for them, its automaton Armageddon, imagine your garden sprinkler system being turned into a bot and sending out requests to servers, its just brilliant.
    It's brilliant but once such a weakness is exposed the good guys will work hard to fix it so that particular attack won't happen again.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 12:461 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It's brilliant but once such a weakness is exposed the good guys will work hard to fix it so that particular attack won't happen again.
    Its the battle of evermore, white hats seeking to make tech un-hackable and black hats trying to prove that its well hackable.
  3. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 14:16
    I once had a dog called Wellard and he was.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 22:29
    Its the battle of evermore, white hats seeking to make tech un-hackable and black hats trying to prove that its well hackable.
    Yep, that is what evolution is all about. May the best algorithm win.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 22:42
    Yep, that is what evolution is all about. May the best algorithm win.
    😀
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 11:231 edit
    😀
    Kind of puts a hole in the 'Intelligent design' concept, eh.

Internet taken down by a million weaponized toasters.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 11:274 edits
    Kind of puts a hole in the 'Intelligent design' concept, eh.

Internet taken down by a million weaponized toasters.
    I don't follow the logic. These systems were designed by intelligent people, they were just not designed with security in mind. This is what makes the hack so devious. Its author claimed on Github that he can arm 300,000 bots.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 12:43
    I don't follow the logic. These systems were designed by intelligent people, they were just not designed with security in mind. This is what makes the hack so devious. Its author claimed on Github that he can arm 300,000 bots.
    I was just thinking the basic idea of the internet of things was not thought out very well, probably not at all as far as security goes. Not very intelligent to add such vulnerable devices that can be retargeted as a weapon agains ANY net. Just making an oblique joke about religious ID.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 16:13
    http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835

Sounds like the dark forces responsible is only interested in destruction.

Does not bode well for the future of the net unless this kind of attack can be defeated before it takes out the whole thing.
    Massive internal attack could take down the US?

They are called elections dingleberry
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 18:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    Massive internal attack could take down the US?

They are called elections dingleberry
    Dingleberry, that was a band I played sessions with in Dublin. I am talking about taking out major sectors like energy. The energy grid is connected to computers connected to the grid and they can be attacked. If you remember the malware sent into Iran to destroy their nuclear material centrifuges, a snippet of software almost killed their entire stock of centrifuges and set back their quest for nukes by years.

What do you think would happen if somehow the grid was programmed to short itself out, destroying the turbines in the dams and rivers of hydro power now and other forms of energy?

That is what I am talking about. Also, what would happen if they took out the central computers running wall street?

You are thinking on a low level here. There are real destructive things malware can and already has caused.
  11. Standard memberTrickyt57
    I am not a god.
    Asgard
    Moves
    31 Oct '16 01:27
    In 1987 the Sunday Times ran a centre-spread story about a future encyclopedia that would be produced by 2087. The encyclopedia was going to be called "Encyclopedia Galactica". It would contain all the information known to mankind in more than 6 million pages. The encyclopedia would not be made of paper, but rather from a new, yet to be invented substance made of ether and electrons. As soon as a new piece of information existed, it would be immediately printed in the new electric paper. Old information would updated once a day.

In 1987 that was a journalist's dream of 2087. If anyone would have told him that Encyclopedia Galactica would arrive in his lifetime, he would have never imagined that we would use it to look at pictures of cats and talk to complete strangers.

As for the future of cyber attacks, wars, or even the plain old internet, we can only guess what it will be like. The only thing that seems sure is that the futurologists and science fiction writers won't get it completely right.

Must go, I think I forgot to unplug the toaster.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Oct '16 16:30
    Originally posted by Trickyt57
    In 1987 the Sunday Times ran a centre-spread story about a future encyclopedia that would be produced by 2087. The encyclopedia was going to be called "Encyclopedia Galactica". It would contain all the information known to mankind in more than 6 million pages. The encyclopedia would not be made of paper, but rather from a new, yet to be invented substan ...[text shortened]... ion writers won't get it completely right.

Must go, I think I forgot to unplug the toaster.
    No, you didn't unplug the toaster, the malware did. It wanted you to think your toaster was bad and get a new one, at K mart of course, since that is where you got the old one. The internet knew exactly where and how much you paid and were likely to pay again.

After you do that, get a new toaster, the malware will start working on your dishwasher.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree