1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 16:44
    "May I ask you a question?"

I'm not sure if the question is clear, if not please comment so I can try to improve upon it. (gb)
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 17:07
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"May I ask you a question?"

I'm not sure if the question is clear, if not please comment so I can try to improve upon it. (gb)[/b]
    You may but are you able?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 17:231 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees

You may but are you able?
    Yes, Stees. Fact is, you've gone to the heart of the matter. I'm thinking an entirely new internet language that would communicate more effectively and be much easier to use should be invented. Questions: Do we begin from scratch or with what we already know? Would there be a need for dictionaries and/or Google; would this new language have a name? (gb)
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 18:021 edit
    I think perhaps that one should merely attack the problem at its source and treat words as they are known to be defined. This is the way adults expect to be understood.

Hint: Those who say "It depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is." are just trying to dodge the question, or laugh while you fumble for an explanation of what you meant. There's no need in the world to "explain" further if the words are used how they're commonly defined, as is the case 99.9% of the time. Those who ask for your definition are obviously stalling or trolling you. I have no tolerance for those people. When asked to "define" a word I used in a question, I say "I'm not Webster. Answer the question."
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 18:08
    Yes, Stees. Fact is, you've gone to the heart of the matter. I'm thinking an entirely new internet language that would communicate more effectively and be much easier to use should be invented. Questions: Do we begin from scratch or with what we already know? Would there be a need for dictionaries and/or Google; would this new language have a name? (gb)
    Yes. "Unnecessary".
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 18:10
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think perhaps that one should merely attack the problem at its source and treat words as they are known to be defined. This is the way adults expect to be understood.

Hint: Those who say "It depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is." are just trying to dodge the question, or laugh while you fumble for an explanation of what you meant. Ther ...[text shortened]... define" a word I used in a question, I say "I'm not Webster. Answer the question."
    if i ask you if i am trolling you, am i indeed trolling you???
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 18:22
    Maybe. And maybe not. 🙂
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 18:48
    Originally posted by rookie54
    if i ask you if i am trolling you, am i indeed trolling you???
    Define "if".
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 19:12

Yes. "Unnecessary".
    "Unnecessary"¿
  10. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 19:46
    [b]"May I ask you a question?"

I'm not sure if the question is clear, if not please comment so I can try to improve upon it. (gb)[/b]
    Help me to understand how in any way or form that is not a question.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 20:13
    Originally posted by coquette

Help me to understand how in any way or form that is not a question.
    "May I ask you a question?" (thread title)

"I'm not sure if the question is clear, if not please comment so I can try to improve upon it." (gb)

"Help me to understand how in any way or form that is not a question." (CQ)

Perhaps the thread's title and original post combine in an attempt to illustrate the difficulties of internet language (and to get the conversational ball rolling). Do you think gb's initial non-question and your non-question may be 2nd cousins? (bg) lol
  12. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 21:54
    only if you incest
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 22:291 edit
    Originally posted by coquette

only if you incest
    True. Siblings are zeroth family relationship/generation removed. Time, though, in cyber villages and public internet forums moves at Plus Nano Speed. So, the ages of our '2nd cousins' would be linked to vastly different removes.

Your post occurred 5 hours after my original post. Perhaps an hour in this time zone may equal 70 years. If so, the two non-questions would be 5th Cousins (without cyber incest, as far as anyone knows). ~Uncle Bobby
  14. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jun '13 00:12

Hint: Those who say "It depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is." are just trying to dodge the question, or laugh while you fumble for an explanation of what you meant. Ther ...[text shortened]... define" a word I used in a question, I say "I'm not Webster. Answer the question."
    I like that. Terrific statement.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jun '13 03:431 edit
    ...a new internet language must above all facilitate honesty. all weasel words must go wherever unneeded words go to die. maybe begin with the simplest of things: a) lousy, stinkin emails could be spoken of as "ishmails"; b) similarly, an internet forum "post" within this unwanted word category becomes "poost". tone of meaning matters more than words. (gb)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree