1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '14 13:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Good riddance. I'm sorry, but real Americans are busy rolling up our sleeves and trying to get something done for each other. This guy can either help out or shut up. When he left, I hope he gave up his citizenship, because clearly, he doesn't deserve it.
    I don't really find your huffing-puffing not 'real Americans' rhetoric to be any more appealing than his. One of the reasons I quite like him is because he always seems "busy rolling up his sleeves and trying to get something done for other people", as is the way ~ at least in my experience ~ with many conservatives with a traditional hard-working, self-made outlook on life. 🙂
  2. old pueblo
    Moves
    29 May '14 13:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    I just had a mid-morning coffee with an American expatriate who makes a living exporting furniture. He told me he considered Maya Angelou to have been an unamerican [yes he used it as a noun] and a lifelong anti-american and that the "lamestream" media tripping over themselves to lionize and eulogize her "just goes to show you how much damage has been done since 2008."
    I remember the fuss from some quarters when she was named Poet Laureate. I guess he's saying it's unAmerican to point out that society is still separate and unequal and that there's something wrong with that.
  3. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    29 May '14 15:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    I just had a mid-morning coffee with an American expatriate who makes a living exporting furniture. He told me he considered Maya Angelou to have been an unamerican [yes he used it as a noun] and a lifelong anti-american and that the "lamestream" media tripping over themselves to lionize and eulogize her "just goes to show you how much damage has been done since 2008."
    Let me guess he is a right wing hack that has left the Country because he is refusing to pay his child support.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 17:151 edit
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Let me guess he is a right wing hack that has left the Country because he is refusing to pay his child support.
    More like he got his feathers in a ruff because the feds actually insisted he pay his fair share of tax, and so he bundled up his business and took it somewhere he can now make wads of untaxed money off the backs of the poor people who will work for pennies an hour.

On second thought, that is, indeed, a real conservative "American". "What's in his wallet" is far, far more important than giving Americans a job with a working wage. And he thinks the government is the cause of "all the damage that's been done since 2008". It must be that nasty ol' black man in the White House. Of course it is. It can't possibly be because of people like him and his visions of self-entitlement to all the greed he can carry.
  5. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    29 May '14 21:59
    More like he got his feathers in a ruff because the feds actually insisted he pay his fair share of tax, and so he bundled up his business and took it somewhere he can now make wads of untaxed money off the backs of the poor people who will work for pennies an hour.

On second thought, that is, indeed, a real conservative "American". "What's in his walle ...[text shortened]... be because of people like him and his visions of self-entitlement to all the greed he can carry.
    We agree to much on this issue. Stop that. It makes me nervous.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 23:26
    We agree to much on this issue. Stop that. It makes me nervous.
    "In my country", she said, with a certain sadness making her voice quiver, "they would arrest me for having these ideas."

I felt compelled to remind her that Arizona is, at least last time I checked, still one of these United States.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 May '14 23:47
    In a Commanding Literary Voice, Maya Angelou Sang Out to the World By Elizabeth Alexander May 28, 2014

"Maya Angelou in 1986, the year she published “All God’s Children Need Traveling Shoes.” Credit Mary Ellen Mark

"A friend recently directed me to the Modern Library’s one-volume reissue of Maya Angelou’s six memoirs, which renders her many lives as one life, continuous in 1,167 pages. Though I had read the memoirs individually and sometimes more than once, I could not put that entire life down.

She was a girl who was raped and did not speak for years after, so cognizant was she of the power of words as to believe they could actually make things happen. And..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/arts/in-a-commanding-literary-voice-singing-out-to-the-world.html?_r=0
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '14 23:56
    No. He did a stint as a Peace Corps Volunteer in east Africa long ago and developed a liking for travel and living abroad. He's spent quite a bit of the time in his native USA ~ one seven year, childless marriage ~ but has nowadays seemingly installed himself here, where he is raising a young family.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 00:05

As much as it might be convenient to a liberal to find these cliched stereotypes to be true, in the case of this particular guy, they are all wide of the mark.

And he thinks the government is the cause of "all the damage that's been done since 2008". It must be that nasty ol' black man in the White House. Of course it is.

Personally I think there is a bit truth in this and I've broached it with him. He denies it of course. And to be fair, when he goes through what he thinks the damage is, it comes across more like the Mark Levin type agenda [with a bit of Dennis Miller thrown in] rather than a racist one.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 00:12
    "What's in his wallet" is far, far more important than giving Americans a job with a working wage.
    Well, I don't know all the details, but I get the impression that he owned at least one business back in the USA and that he has created employment. He also seems to pay some taxes to US government every year despite living abroad ~ he has mentioned it in passing a few times. This was also true of the Americans I knew when I lived in Japan. And he is not "giving Americans a job with a working wage" these days because his business is here in Indonesia.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 May '14 14:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, I don't know all the details, but I get the impression that he owned at least one business back in the USA and that he has created employment. He also seems to pay some taxes to US government every year despite living abroad ~ he has mentioned it in passing a few times. This was also true of the Americans I knew when I lived in Japan. And he is not "giving Americans a job with a working wage" these days because his business is here in Indonesia.
    To be completely fair, I do not know the man, so my hyperbole may be exactly that. It should not be my business to judge him.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '14 02:04
    To be completely fair, I do not know the man, so my hyperbole may be exactly that. It should not be my business to judge him.
    Well I think we judge him just a wee bit perhaps for his daft and mean spirited comments on the death of Maya Angelou.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 May '14 22:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I think we judge him just a wee bit perhaps for his daft and mean spirited comments on the death of Maya Angelou.
    Probably. I've already gotten my fill of ignorant people from the comments sections of news stories about her.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree