1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 May '14 14:501 edit
    Wikipedia says that "Angelou was found dead by her caretaker on the morning of May 28, 2014. She had reportedly been in bad health and had canceled recent scheduled appearances." She was 86.

You have inspired thousands. R.I.P., Maya.

"All my work, my life, everything I do is about survival, not just bare, awful, plodding survival, but survival with grace and faith. While one may encounter many defeats, one must not be defeated." -- Maya Angelou
  2. old pueblo
    Moves
    28 May '14 16:20
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: http://www.famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/maya_angelou/poems/494

#YesAllWomen
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '14 18:40
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Wikipedia says that "Angelou was found dead by her caretaker on the morning of May 28, 2014. She had reportedly been in bad health and had canceled recent scheduled appearances." She was 86.

"All my work, my life, everything I do is about survival, not just bare, awful, plodding survival, but survi ...[text shortened]... and faith. While one may encounter many defeats, one must not be defeated." -- Maya Angelou
    Thanks, Suzi. Maya Angelou is certainly recognized as an important literary figure and celebrity in our time.
  4. Joined
    12 Dec '13
    Moves
    28 May '14 19:39
    A Conceit

by Maya Angelou

Give me your hand

Make room for me
    to lead and follow
    you
    beyond this rage of poetry.

Let others have
    the privacy of
    touching words
    and love of loss
    of love.

For me
    Give me your hand.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 May '14 20:13
    Another favorite: "A wise woman wishes to be no one's enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone's victim." #MayaAngelou #YesAllWomen
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 May '14 21:49
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thanks, Suzi. Maya Angelou is certainly recognized as an important literary figure and celebrity in our time.
    It even goes beyond that.

Some men and women are described as being "before their time". Maya Angelou was a beacon of light in the time that she belonged in. Our time. She was inspiration to many, enemy of few. She brought hope to so many people who felt oppressed through no fault of their own. She showed us that human spirit is indomitable, that no one owns the right to make us feel any less than human and that, as humans, we have a birthright to make of ourselves anything we want to be. But it's on us. No one will do it for us.

I cried when I heard the news this morning. She had a lasting impact on my life.

Thank you, Maya.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 May '14 22:05
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: http://www.famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/maya_angelou/poems/494

#YesAllWomen
    A good choice. One of her best.

An excellent choice for anyone looking to find out more about Maya Angelou and a good introduction to her life. Her first autobiography, she would pen six more. Her last autobiography, Mom & Me & Mom, she completed just last year, at 85.
  8. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    28 May '14 22:311 edit
    A good choice. One of her best.

An excellent choice for anyone looking to find out more about Maya Angelou and a good introduction to her life. Her first autobiography, she would pen six more. Her last autobiography, Mom & Me & Mom, she completed just last year, at 85.
    She is one of the few poets to ever completely hold my attention and interest at the same time. Not only with her literary works but with the tone of her voice that could pierce your heart and soul while stimulating your mind with explosive thoughts. It could be on almost any subject. It's hard to walk away after listening to her spoken words without wanting more. RIP. Maya Angelou, you will be missed by many.

I am just glad she left us with so much to remember her by. I will treasure my small collection and search for more.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '14 22:57
    "Legendary author Maya Angelou dies at age 86"
    By Todd Leopold, Ashley Fantz, Moni Basu and Faith Karimi, CNN
    updated 6:04 PM EDT, Wed May 28, 2014

(CNN) -- A literary voice revered globally for her poetic command and her commitment to civil rights has fallen silent...."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/maya-angelou-obit/

Note: CNN Site provides biographical text as well as a 3.5 minute interview with flashbacks on Youtube.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 May '14 23:47
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Legendary author Maya Angelou dies at age 86"
    By Todd Leopold, Ashley Fantz, Moni Basu and Faith Karimi, CNN
    updated 6:04 PM EDT, Wed May 28, 2014

(CNN) -- A literary voice revered globally for her poetic command and her commitment to civil rights has fallen silent...."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/maya-angelou-obit/

Note: CNN Site provides biographical text as well as a 3.5 minute interview with flashbacks on Youtube.[/b]
    I enjoyed the article/video. Thank you, Bob.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '14 23:54
    I enjoyed the article/video. Thank you, Bob.
    You're welcome, Suzi. Timely general interest thread.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '14 05:46
    I just had a mid-morning coffee with an American expatriate who makes a living exporting furniture. He told me he considered Maya Angelou to have been an unamerican [yes he used it as a noun] and a lifelong anti-american and that the "lamestream" media tripping over themselves to lionize and eulogize her "just goes to show you how much damage has been done since 2008."
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 May '14 06:42

One of the joys of a multi-national forum.
    I must admit I had never heard of the woman.
    A quick look on wiki tells me that I am missing out.

Thanks Suzi
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 13:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    I just had a mid-morning coffee with an American expatriate who makes a living exporting furniture. He told me he considered Maya Angelou to have been an unamerican [yes he used it as a noun] and a lifelong anti-american and that the "lamestream" media tripping over themselves to lionize and eulogize her "just goes to show you how much damage has been done since 2008."
    Some people are so full of hate for themselves that they find it easy to hate others for no reason.

I would say to this guy, "I hope the door didn't hit you on the way out." He leaves America because "it's no longer an America I want to be associated with" and then sits back from a comfortable distance mocking it and denigrating it. Good riddance. I'm sorry, but real Americans are busy rolling up our sleeves and trying to get something done for each other. This guy can either help out or shut up. When he left, I hope he gave up his citizenship, because clearly, he doesn't deserve it.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 13:10
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    One of the joys of a multi-national forum.
    I must admit I had never heard of the woman.
    A quick look on wiki tells me that I am missing out.

Thanks Suzi
    Welcome aboard. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree