Originally posted by divegeester
    Please explain?
    http://www.timeforchess.com/forum/general/memo.166701
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 12:031 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is the "thin raft" a cult?

Is the 'constructing pyramids' thing some sort of superstitious ideological mumbo jumbo?

Is the notion of "escaping" something to do with people unilaterally declaring themselves to be immortal because of something to do with a supernatural being?
    You really do seem to have trouble attempting objectivity. The proof of this is that everything seems to appear to you to be tinged in some way, with your perceptions of other people and their values. Perhaps if you were not so self assuming it may help?

A thin raft is simply a transient vehicle reflective of the transient nature of life. A pyramid is merely a memorial, an attempt at creating something that transcends time, although ultimately it too will crumble. Escapism takes many forms.

Its rather curious how you have unwittingly proffered a kind of condemnatory approach while at the same time decrying anyone who may harbour thoughts of religious sentiments outwith your own. I wonder if you really have managed to throw off those self proclaimed 'shackles' of your previous life as a professed Christian or perhaps those visions of the Garden of earthly delights still haunt you. Who can say?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 12:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You really do seem to have trouble attempting objectivity.
    You asked "What do you think it means?" The only thing I was "attempting" to do was to express my opinion as to what the Jim Morrison quote might mean to you. I didn't experience any "trouble" doing this whatsoever.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 12:11
    The proof of this is that everything seems to appear to you to be tinged in some way, with your perceptions of other people and their values. Perhaps if you were not so self assuming it may help?
    I was commenting on a quote by Jim Morrison that you chose to put in your personal profile on this web site - indeed it is the only content of your personal profile. If your selection of that specific quote is not "tinged" in some way by your "values", and if people are not expected to have their own perceptions of what the quote might mean to you, then one wonders why on earth would you put that quote - and only that quote - on your personal profile.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 12:14
    Its rather curious how you have unwittingly proffered a kind of condemnatory approach while at the same time decrying anyone who may harbour thoughts of religious sentiments outwith your own. I wonder if you really have managed to throw off those self proclaimed 'shackles' of your previous life as a professed Christian or perhaps those visions of the Garden of earthly delights still haunt you. Who can say?
    If you're going to suddenly get so sensitive and defensive, you really shouldn't ask people what they think some quote you've chosen to put in your profile means.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 14:25
    What do you think it means?
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
    Conceit is self-given. Be careful.

–John Wooden

What do you think it means, my cherished almost friend?
  7. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 14:40
    What do you think it means?
    Pyramids are a masonic symbol.
    How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go ?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 14:44
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
    Conceit is self-given. Be careful.

–John Wooden

What do [b]you
    think it means, my cherished almost friend?[/b]
    It seems to me to be self explanatory. That there are those who have some kind of innate talent and that they should be careful that their talent is not a source of conceit by cultivating the quality of humility.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 14:472 edits
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    Pyramids are a masonic symbol.
    How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go ?
    Pyramids may be a masonic symbol, but so what? The fact of the matter is that any perception of a masonic element in the text of my profile is a reflection not of me, but of you. I did not see it, you did. The question you should therefore be asking yourself is why if the pyramids are a masonic element it has any meaning for you because it certainly holds no meaning for me.
  10. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 15:23
    Pyramids may be a masonic symbol, but so what? The fact of the matter is that any perception of a masonic element in the text of my profile is a reflection not of me, but of you. I did not see it, you did. The question you should therefore be asking yourself is why if the pyramids are a masonic element it has any meaning for you because it certainly holds no meaning for me.
    I fully accept that.
    The real issue here is why Jim Morrison is alluding to masonic symbols.
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 15:461 edit
    It seems to me to be self explanatory. That there are those who have some kind of innate talent and that they should be careful that their talent is not a source of conceit by cultivating the quality of humility.
    Thank you for taking the time for contributing so valuably to this lively forum.

You are one of the most positive contributors, right after Russ the genius, who in his gracious and magnanimous volition allows us to enjoy RHP.

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

* Susanne & Unborn child anon send greetings // juxtaposition of messages. All hail the king.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 16:18
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    I fully accept that.
    The real issue here is why Jim Morrison is alluding to masonic symbols.
    How do you know he was? perhaps the symbolism of the pyramid meant something completely different to him.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 16:18
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Thank you for taking the time for contributing so valuably to this lively forum.

You are one of the most positive contributors, right after Russ the genius, who in his gracious and magnanimous volition allows us to enjoy RHP.

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
    Ralph Waldo Emerso ...[text shortened]...

* Susanne & Unborn child anon send greetings // juxtaposition of messages. All hail the king.
    Thankyou for being so positive, it is truly refreshing.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 17:10
    Thankyou for being so positive, it is truly refreshing.
    Memo to all Red Hot Pawn Members who contribute to this public forum:

“Save your skin from the corrosive acids from the mouths of toxic people.
    Someone who just helped you to speak evil about another person can later help another person
    to speak evil about you.” ―Israelmore Ayivor
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 17:13
    Dear robbie kindly stay on topic and follow the forum guidelines as laid out in the ancient truth manuscripts by his holiness, Russ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree