1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:471 edit
    What's your thoughts on this? Are there limits to what is considered acceptable or should men be able to wear jewellery the same way as women? For example what jewellery do you wear / your male partner wear?

Nowadays I only wear a watch (if that is classed as jewellery). When I was in my twenties I did have an earring and the occasional neck chain, but they were assigned to the dustbin by 28.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What's your thoughts on this? Are there limits to what is considered acceptable or should men be able to wear jewellery the same way as women? For example what jewellery do you wear / your male partner wear?
    I wear a simple gold wedding ring at all times (never taken it off in 25 years) and when I was a Christian I sometimes wore a small St. Christopher medallion that my mother gave me when I moved abroad (on the morning I set off, in fact). That's all. Not much past form on the jewellery front to show for a person now stuck into his sixth decade! 🙂
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:58
    Nowadays I only wear a watch (if that is classed as jewellery).
    I have not worn a watch since I acquired my first mobile phone which was about 12 years ago. Good riddance, because it was always a bugger to find a watch I could wear ~ the back of it had to be non-metallic otherwise the skin on my wrist turned green.
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:591 edit
    I think it makes men look effeminate. If they choose to look like that that's up to them, and it doesn't necessarily mean they won't attract female attention.

Remember that verse about the 'little faggot with the earring and the makeup' in Dire Straits' 'Money for Nothing'?

Edit: not that I mean this offensively, it's just a great song and the verse (and the whole song) is sung as by a certain type of character.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I wear a simple gold wedding ring at all times (never taken it off in 25 years) and when I was a Christian I sometimes wore a small St. Christopher medallion that my mother gave me when I moved abroad (on the morning I set off, in fact). That's all. Not much past form on the jewellery front to show for a person now stuck into his sixth decade! 🙂
    Oh yes, I do remember having a small silver St Christopher medialion (about half an inch in diameter) which was a gift from a girlfriend at the time. I remember quite liking it at the time, but I would never wear it these days even if I still had it.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:02
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I think it makes men look effeminate. If they choose to look like that that's up to them, and it doesn't necessarily mean they won't attract female attention.

Remember that verse about the 'little faggot with the earring and the makeup' in Dire Straits' 'Money for Nothing'?

Edit: not that I mean this offensively, it's just a great song and the verse (and the whole song) is sung as by a certain type of character.
    Certain footballers spring to mind.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:06
    I am opposed to Kant in this respect. He identified beauty with
    disinterested pleasure and contrasted the aesthetic with the
    practical. The other point of view equates beauty with "suitedness"
    to use.

I am for the latter in this respect. My basic jewelry consists of my
    wedding ring and a €20 Casio watch which is a bit younger than
    I am --and I am not a spring chicken. Sometimes, though, I also
    add a Star of David pendant hanging from a very simple and thin
    necklace, though it is a personal thing and wear it always underneath
    for it not to show. I could argue that it is for safety reasons but I
    would be lying, as I use it typically when I am also sporting a kippah.

Overall, I consider jewelry superfluous unless it is suited for a
    particular occasion and the rest of the outfit.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 10:41

Nowadays I only wear a watch (if that is classed as jewellery). When I was in my twenties I did have an earring and the occasional neck chain, but they were assigned to the dustbin by 28.
    I wear nothing ... tho I had a gold medallion when younger.

My wife likes discreet jewellery so I occasionally indulge her.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 11:15
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    My wife likes discreet jewellery so I occasionally indulge her.
    Something along the lines of the Emperor's New Jewellery would be the ultimate in discreetness (only you would notice and compliment her on it) and it would have the added advantage of costing nothing.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 11:44

Do you have a phone? Does your phone tell the time? Watches are for show and status, just likes necklaces, earrings and anything else people want to wear that they don't need. Throw it in the bottom drawer in the kitchen.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 11:52
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Do you have a phone? Does your phone tell the time? Watches are for show and status, just likes necklaces, earrings and anything else people want to wear that they don't need. Throw it in the bottom drawer in the kitchen.
    What's wrong with wearing a nice watch? What's wrong with status for that matter?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 11:54
    What's wrong with wearing a nice watch? What's wrong with status for that matter?
    Yeah, and why the bottom drawer in the kitchen?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 11:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yeah, and why the bottom drawer in the kitchen?
    Who needs a "kitchen"? And why is trev living in a house and not a mud built commune?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:05
    ...why is trev living in a house and not a mud built commune?
    Perhaps it's the current low price of petrol. People do adjust.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 13:04
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I am opposed to Kant in this respect. He identified beauty with
    disinterested pleasure and contrasted the aesthetic with the
    practical. The other point of view equates beauty with "suitedness"
    to use.

I am for the latter in this respect. My basic jewelry consists of my
    wedding ring and a €20 Casio watch which is a bit younger than
    I am --and I am not ...[text shortened]... jewelry superfluous unless it is suited for a
    particular occasion and the rest of the outfit.
    You've stepped it up man! Never thought I'd hear you start a sentence, "I am opposed to Kant in this respect..."

(*"I'm opposed to suppositories," maybe, "I'm opposed to cantaloupes,' plausibly. "Kant' I never expected).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree