General Forum

General Forum

  1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    03 Apr '16 17:07
    Which do you prefer: the Ribbon or the old-style drop-down menus?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Joined
    31 May '12
    Moves
    2365
    03 Apr '16 19:22
    Neither. I'm still using a DOS-era command-line-interface word processor called XyWrite. It can do anything MS-office can do, better. And it never crashed, not once in 25 years.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    03 Apr '16 19:30
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Neither. I'm still using a DOS-era command-line-interface word processor called XyWrite. It can do anything MS-office can do, better. And it never crashed, not once in 25 years.
    Well I'm still using a sharpened reed and clay tablets. I just thought I'd see what the muggins' preferences are.
  4. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    120517
    03 Apr '16 20:00
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Neither. I'm still using a DOS-era command-line-interface word processor called XyWrite. It can do anything MS-office can do, better. And it never crashed, not once in 25 years.
    Then again, how would you have any idea of what Office can do?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Joined
    31 May '12
    Moves
    2365
    03 Apr '16 20:34
    Been there, got frustrated, deleted it, went back to DOS.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    03 Apr '16 20:42
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Then again, how would you have any idea of what Office can do?
    Clearly he doesn't, if he thinks a word processor, let alone a DOS-era one, can replicate every feature of the Office suite.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    04 Apr '16 12:58
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Clearly he doesn't, if he thinks a word processor, let alone a DOS-era one, can replicate every feature of the Office suite.
    On the other hand, he may have little use for the apps of Office. If you only use a word processor to, *gasp*, process words, write down for stories or homework and that's it, what use would excel or powerpoint do you?
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    04 Apr '16 13:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    On the other hand, he may have little use for the apps of Office. If you only use a word processor to, *gasp*, process words, write down for stories or homework and that's it, what use would excel or powerpoint do you?
    That's true enough, but he did say 'It can do anything MS-office can do, better.' Patently not true.
  9. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    120517
    06 Apr '16 00:07
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    That's true enough, but he did say 'It can do anything MS-office can do, better.' Patently not true.
    And still patently untrue even if he had said "MSWord" instead of "MSOffice". Any semi-experienced Word user can tell you this.
  10. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    120517
    06 Apr '16 00:12
    Back to the original topic - I preferred the original menus, because I had the accelerator key sequences memorized [alt-O-P to format a paragraph, and so on].

    The ribbon is probably easier to learn for n00bs. I've learned it because I want the new features in the new SW. But I'm never going to be as fast with it as I was with the old shortcut keys.
Back to Top