1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 22:34
    @chaney3 said
    By 1990 Tyson was the most feared man on the planet.
    Not really I’d say that in 1990, least in part, Saddam Hussein was the most feared man in the world.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 22:35
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Wrong. Even with both in there prime, Tyson would have destroyed Ali.
    Yes probably in their prime, but Ali would have taken Tyson in their relative later years.
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 22:43
    @very-rusty said
    Think he could have beaten Tyson?.... 😉

-VR
    I'm not some people
    I don't know who the world champ was at that time
    but no
    stallone would not have lasted one round
    at five eight 180 pounds stallone is a pipsqueak
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 22:442 edits
    @divegeester said
    Yes probably in their prime, but Ali would have taken Tyson in their relative later years.
    I would disagree Ali would have beat him when they were both in their Prime and later. I watched pretty well all of both their fights at the beginning and during their boxing careers. Only think is if Tyson hit Ali it could be a KO...I just don't think he could have connected Ali was just to quick on his feet. Around the end of career when he started the rope-a-dope stuff he should have retired, as he had slowed down considerably.

-VR
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 22:50
    @very-rusty said
    I would disagree Ali would have beat him when they were both in their Prime and later. I watched pretty well all of both their fights at the beginning and during their boxing careers. Only think is if Tyson hit Ali it could be a KO...I just don't think he could have connected Ali was just to quick on his feet. Around the end of career when he started the rope-a-dope stuff he should have retired, as he had slowed down considerably.

-VR
    Ali used the rope-a-dope against Foreman
    it was beautiful
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 22:571 edit
    @lemondrop said
    Ali used the rope-a-dope against Foreman
    it was beautiful
    Everyone has their own perception of what a good fight is. Ali really should have retired in my opinion. He started getting a lot of hits to the head that would have never happened when he was in his prime. It is hard to retire when it is in your blood though. (Granted it is one of the most talked about fights and I believe one of the biggest purses in his career)

-VR
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 23:01
    @very-rusty said
    Doesn't matter in this case Andy, you either agree or disagree.
    Do you agree or disagree?
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 23:12
    @handyandy said
    Do you agree or disagree?
    You are the one who seemed to have an issue with it Andy? Give me reasons why you don't agree? I believe it is fairly accurate in my opinion.

-VR
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 23:16
    @divegeester said
    I’m just asking what criteria you are basing this assessment on.

For examples, win ratio, number of wins, number of rounds to win, number of knockouts, number of championship fights, number of title regains, age of title wins, age of last title win, speed of punch, punches given, punches received.

And so on and so forth.
    Okay then, apologies.

Tyson's case was unique for me. He obviously had enough stats along with heavyweight champ to be considered one of the greats, but for me it was his menacing walk to the ring putting warranted fear into his opponent that did it for me.

It was the fact he was so feared that attracted people to want to see him destroy his opponents.

I don't think any other fighter in history had that quality to the degree Tyson did.
  10. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 23:20
    @chaney3 said
    Okay then, apologies.

Tyson's case was unique for me. He obviously had enough stats along with heavyweight champ to be considered one of the greats, but for me it was his menacing walk to the ring putting warranted fear into his opponent that did it for me.

It was the fact he was so feared that attracted people to want to see him destroy his opponents.

I don't think any other fighter in history had that quality to the degree Tyson did.
    He lost well over 1in 10 of his pro fights

His record does not stack up against any of the true greats

Move on
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 23:23
    @st-dominics-preview said
    He lost well over 1in 10 of his pro fights

His record does not stack up against any of the true greats

Move on
    Again, unique situation. His record suffered after the Douglas fight.

I'm talking about the Iron Mike...before that fight.
  12. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 23:30
    @chaney3

Jeez. How many times?

You can't cherry pick part of a guys career!! It is the whole thing. Otherwise this discussion is aimless
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 23:33
    @st-dominics-preview said
    @chaney3

Jeez. How many times?

You can't cherry pick part of a guys career!! It is the whole thing. Otherwise this discussion is aimless
    That's just it. I disagree with you that he requires the best record in boxing history to be considered the best.
  14. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 23:38
    @chaney3
    No, but you need to explain why his relatively poor, at this level, record deserves to be considered.
    'He was good until 24, destroying journeyman and has beens, then met some decent fighters and was found out

Don't really do it.

15-20 on all time list of heavyweights is generous
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 01:00
    @very-rusty said
    You are the one who seemed to have an issue with it Andy? Give me reasons why you don't agree? I believe it is fairly accurate in my opinion.

-VR
    I have no issue with your list. I merely asked where it came from.

Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali belong at the top. I would have found a place for Rocky Marciano.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree