mm/dd/yyyy

mm/dd/yyyy

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Jan 23

Why do things melt when it is say -2C and had been -6? Does anyone know the correct answer?

-VR

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
23 Jan 23

@very-rusty said
Why do things melt when it is say -2C and had been -6? Does anyone know the correct answer?

-VR
Two probable reasons:

* measurement was taken in the air, sun was shining and temperature at the melting position was higher.
* The ice was not pur water ice, everything, which can be disolved will lower melting temperature (The technique was used in earlier days to establish mol mass of compunds)

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Jan 23
1 edit

@ponderable said
Two probable reasons:

* measurement was taken in the air, sun was shining and temperature at the melting position was higher.
* The ice was not pur water ice, everything, which can be disolved will lower melting temperature (The technique was used in earlier days to establish mol mass of compunds)
The sun was shining, and of course we all know it is closer to the earth in our winter time.

I would say your evaluation is correct.

-VR

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
23 Jan 23

@very-rusty said
The sun was shining, and of course we all know it is closer to the earth in our winter time.

-VR
The closeness of the sun has no effect on the temperature (well not a discernible one over the weather, feel free to make the caluclation yourself).
Plus the temperature is the temperature regardless of the proximity of the heating body....

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Jan 23

@ponderable said
The closeness of the sun has no effect on the temperature (well not a discernible one over the weather, feel free to make the caluclation yourself).
Plus the temperature is the temperature regardless of the proximity of the heating body....
So, you're saying the sun being out has nothing to do with the snow melting in -degree temperatures?

-VR

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
23 Jan 23

@very-rusty said
So, you're saying the sun being out has nothing to do with the snow melting in -degree temperatures?

-VR
No I say the differnec in distance between sun and earth as no effect on surface temerature, that you could find with a thermometer at your home .

The sun being out would account for the difference in temperature measurement and expected result.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
23 Jan 23

@very-rusty said

-VR
It does. Its called the albedo effect, the ability of a surface to reflect light. In the case of snow the suns radiation. As the snow melts the albedo value diminishes so it absorbs more radiation and melts faster.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Jan 23

@the-gravedigger said
It does. Its called the albedo effect, the ability of a surface to reflect light. In the case of snow the suns radiation. As the snow melts the albedo value diminishes so it absorbs more radiation and melts faster.
So you on the other hand are saying the sun does have something to do with the snow melting in -degree temperatures? That would be my uneducated guess. πŸ™‚

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
23 Jan 23

@very-rusty said
So you on the other hand are saying the sun does have something to do with the snow melting in -degree temperatures? That would be my uneducated guess. πŸ™‚

-VR
As the snow starts to melt it will absorb more of the suns energy and start melting faster. The pools of water that form do not reflect back as much energy as white snow.
It becomes a self reinforcing effect.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Jan 23

@the-gravedigger said
As the snow starts to melt it will absorb more of the suns energy and start melting faster. The pools of water that form do not reflect back as much energy as white snow.
It becomes a self reinforcing effect.
So now we've learned how snow can melt even though temperature is below the freezing point. πŸ™‚

-VR

Moves
23 Jan 23

@very-rusty said
No it isn’t.

The earth wobbles on its axis annually, causing one of the hemispheres to lean further facing toward the sun, and one facing further away from the sun.

It’s nothing to do with orbital distance.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Jan 23

@divegeester said
No it isn’t.

The earth wobbles on its axis annually, causing one of the hemispheres to lean further facing toward the sun, and one facing further away from the sun.

It’s nothing to do with orbital distance.
Fun fact: the wobble of a rotating object actually has a name. It’s “nutation.”(Says the nerd.)

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
23 Jan 23

@moonbus said
Fun fact: the wobble of a rotating object actually has a name. It’s “nutation.”(Says the nerd.)
when i typed that in to check yer accuracy,
autocorrect changed the word to, "nutella" and i thought that was sweet