1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 00:10
    I'm trying to get into the 21st century and am considering setting up a streaming account with Spotify. But today when I was in a hifi store looking at some nice Monitor Audio floorstanders, I was introduced to TIDAL. Then all the different options. Think I'll go back to vinyl but that now back in vogue and hugely expensive.

What are your choices and recommendations?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 00:181 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm trying to get into the 21st century and am considering setting up a streaming account with Spotify. But today when I was in a hifi store looking at some nice Monitor Audio floorstanders, I was introduced to TIDAL. Then all the different options. Think I'll go back to vinyl but that now back in vogue and hugely expensive.

I have a (I think) fairly high tech old fashioned multi part system of a rega planar 3 deck, rega CD and amp and matching speakers.

Basically, old fashioned hi fi buff

Wanted a 'stand alone' CD player for other room, having had a Bose system. Anyways, happened upon the ruark 4 . absolutely brilliant sound. Plus, Bluetooth receiver Also, my son told me how to stream Spotify, and that is all I now play through that player. Now a Spotify subscriber. Not sure about your streaming suggestion, but would think of similar quality.

The ruark isn't cheap (around £650), but once you've got if, you've got if
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 02:19
    To accept reality and leave new trends to the young.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 02:40

The only time I listen to music, aside from on bluetooth headphones using my phone (15% of the time), is when I am working at my computer (85% of the time), so I just listen to mp3s and the occasional CD using my PC and a pair of not very expensive (but not too shabby) Behringer MS40 speakers. It's enough. In a kind of ideal home in my imagination there would be a music room with top gear and a nice sofa and nothing else except for a bookshelf, but in reality I probably wouldn't spend much time in such a room.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 03:59

Mozart, Beethoven and Shostakovich.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 12:00
    I have tried spotify and deezer. The choice depends on several factors. a) How convenient you find the site navigation, which is mostly a matter of taste. b) Deezer offers a free version (all the music, but with silent/visual adverts) and a paid-for version. Spotify (correct me if I'm wrong here) offers a lot less music than deezer in the free version. c) In terms of network activity, spotify will log-jam your LAN and unless you have broadband you may not be able to do anything else with your Internet connection while it is running; deezer is a bit less bit-torrenty. d) The genres you prefer (again a matter of taste); not every Internet streaming service has everything you might want to listen to.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 12:09
    I personally like soundcloud, they have many original artists and some pretty amazing remixes and cover versions many of which I find more appealing than the originals.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 07:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I personally like soundcloud, they have many original artists and some pretty amazing remixes and cover versions many of which I find more appealing than the originals.
    I've played about with SoundCloud but don't find it easy to navigate. Agree about the covers and remixes though.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 07:221 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The only time I listen to music, aside from on bluetooth headphones using my phone (15% of the time), is when I am working at my computer (85% of the time), so I just listen to mp3s and the occasional CD using my PC and a pair of not very expensive (but not too shabby) Behringer MS40 speakers. It's enough. In a kind of ideal home in my imagination there would be ...[text shortened]... else except for a bookshelf, but in reality I probably wouldn't spend much time in such a room.
    I had a old pair of B&W 601s in the loft which I've decided to use instead of the Dali Zensor bookshelf speakers which I bought on a whim and for aesthetic purposes. Not sure what I was thinking at the time; the Dali speakers are good but the 601s are hugely superior, so I'm good for speakers.

Still trying to fathom the streaming bit. Will probably sign up to Spotify and see how it goes.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 07:23
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I have tried spotify and deezer. The choice depends on several factors. a) How convenient you find the site navigation, which is mostly a matter of taste. b) Deezer offers a free version (all the music, but with silent/visual adverts) and a paid-for version. Spotify (correct me if I'm wrong here) offers a lot less music than deezer in the free version. c) In ...[text shortened]... tter of taste); not every Internet streaming service has everything you might want to listen to.
    I have very good broadband connectivity so don't have an issue there. I'll look into Deezer.

Anyone been using TIDAL?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree