1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 06:28
    @very-rusty said
    For sure if it is something you'd sooner not say this isn't the place to say it or it will be thrown back at you 15 years from now! 🙂 You can always tell people you trust by a P.M., although this may be a good time for my story where an unknown entity is involved.

-VR
    You have supported people in these same forums who hear someone's story and then call them a liar. And those people then use it over and over and over again to insinuate that they are somehow better because their lives are boring AF.

So spare us your condescension.

Please note that I did not say condensation.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 06:33
    @suzianne said
    And those people then use it over and over and over again to insinuate that they are somehow better because their lives are boring AF.
    Who on these forums, do you think, feel "somehow better" [than you] because their "lives are boring AF"?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 06:40
    In 1978, my family and I were scooting along at a reasonable clip on a Yugoslavian road when a blowout in the front right-hand tyre broke the axle and cause our cheap and cheerful British Leyland car to swerve off the road and roll over and over again before eventually coming to a halt. We all walked away with hardly a scratch. We found the car to be about 5 metres away from a 100 metre drop into a kind of ravine. My two sisters and I recently recorded our memories of this event [for one of my radio programmes] and the three accounts were really quite different in several key ways. My sisters were 20 and 8 at the time.
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 08:07
    When I was about eighteen I remember being in a group of four in an old mini with tents and such like going down to the New Forest. I was half asleep in the front passenger seat when we took a bend way too fast. It was steep banked up grass verge to a hedge and as we drove up the verge the car went on to two wheels. It seemed to last a long time at that moment where it was deciding to either go over or drop back down again. It landed back on its wheels and we drove away without apparent damage. Once again completely calm and detached throughout. The only trauma was listening to his girlfriend (now his wife so hope she never takes up chess) discussing his driving style for some miles later.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 10:39
    I had a ticket for a flight from Ambon to Sorong [in Indonesia, it was actually Yogyakarta > Surabaya > Ujung Pandang > Ambon > Sorong] on 1st July 1993. At the very last moment, I changed my booking to the next day because I wanted to attend a wedding in Yogyakarta, where I had been on holiday. That flight on the 1st July 1993 crashed into the sea about 100 metres short of the runway at Sorong killing everyone on board apart from a baby and a very elderly man.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 12:19
    @suzianne said
    You have supported people in these same forums who hear someone's story and then call them a liar. And those people then use it over and over and over again to insinuate that they are somehow better because their lives are boring AF.

So spare us your condescension.

Please note that I did not say condensation.
    LOL@ Suzie Q, lets not ruin a good thread.

-vR
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 12:23
    @fmf said
    I had a ticket for a flight from Ambon to Sorong [in Indonesia, it was actually Yogyakarta > Surabaya > Ujung Pandang > Ambon > Sorong] on 1st July 1993. At the very last moment, I changed my booking to the next day because I wanted to attend a wedding in Yogyakarta, where I had been on holiday. That flight on the 1st July 1993 crashed into the sea about 100 metres short of the runway at Sorong killing everyone on board apart from a baby and a very elderly man.
    I hope you thanked the couple for the invite. Seriously (something I am not, often) just wasn't your time.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 12:27
    @relentless-red said
    Wow, I'm thinking pre-roll bars and in this country that was pre-seat belts possibly??
    Actually it was a 1968 model that did have seat belts but we didn't have them on. Another thing that made our survival all the more amazing. I remember that the rolling seemed, to us both, to be in slowmo.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 12:49
    @great-big-stees said
    Actually it was a 1968 model that did have seat belts but we didn't have them on. Another thing that made our survival all the more amazing. I remember that the rolling seemed, to us both, to be in slowmo.
    In 1950, American automaker Nash emerged with the first factory-installed seat belts in the Statesman and Ambassador models, which consisted of a single belt that stretched across your lap. In 1954, the Sports Car Club of America began requiring competing drivers to wear lap belts.
  10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    27 Mar '21 23:493 edits
    Sometime in the mid-2000s, while recovering from a resection of two dime-sized spots of cancerous tissue from the lining of my bladder, and reposing at home with a drainage bag and the comfortable feeling of a catheter up my urethra, one of the internal scabs came loose and I just started bleeding into my bag.

Similar to other stories in this thread, I did some rough calculations re: bleeding out and did what was necessary. I called the emergency number. An ambulance came to pick me up and they gave me some heparin to help with clotting.

I had changed into a robe, thinking that would make it easier for the medics, but one of the drivers advised me to bring some street clothes for when I was discharged. And I also remember he was whistling the theme from "Sanford and Son" (a show in the States starring Redd Foxx), so I'm guessing they had already picked up a bunch of middle-aged guys in bathrobes that evening.

Anyway, after a visit to the ER (A&E) and a few courses of BCG treatment* (which I can only recommend not so much for the flu-like body chills which I actually do enjoy, but especially for the few hours of painful urination -- admittedly only one day out of seven during a six-week course of treatment, so don't set your expectations too high) . . .

Oh! Nearly lost the thread. Apparently I have survived, although I imagine I will croak sometime.

-----
    *This is localized immunotherapy using a bolus of denatured TB bacilli to activate the immune system and provoke the lining of the bladder to kick out the rebel cells.
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 00:20
    @relentless-red said
    Your choice, but if I felt like that I wouldn't tell it in a forum.
    Red, the balance has tipped and it seems that I am ready now.

What I hesitated to say is that I would gladly share my tent with you and Rookie, and Ollie Mealing and Tom Elderfield if that fits with their schedules. Yes, I know you and Tom are spoken for, but this isn't about hanky-panky -- it's about brotherly congress. 😉
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 01:251 edit
    @very-rusty said
    For sure if it is something you'd sooner not say this isn't the place to say it or it will be thrown back at you 15 years from now! 🙂 You can always tell people you trust by a P.M., although this may be a good time for my story where an unknown entity is involved.

-VR
    If more people were more self-aware, they might find themselves to be more arbitrary than any reasonable person might like. Maybe that unknown entity was just looking for something to hold on to.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 08:07
    @kevin-eleven said
    Apparently I have survived, although I imagine I will croak sometime.
    ^^ Espresso reductio version of every post in this thread! ^^

Sounded most unpleasant, congratulations on calling the emergency services in time. Many don’t.
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 08:37
    @kevin-eleven said
    Sometime in the mid-2000s, while recovering from a resection of two dime-sized spots of cancerous tissue from the lining of my bladder, and reposing at home with a drainage bag and the comfortable feeling of a catheter up my urethra, one of the internal scabs came loose and I just started bleeding into my bag.

Similar to other stories in this thread, I did some rough ...[text shortened]... lli to activate the immune system and provoke the lining of the bladder to kick out the rebel cells.
    Scary stuff. Sounds like you did well. Hospitals are great places to leave. I remember a spell in an intensive care unit in Spain. The activity of the unit keeps you awake most of the time and when everybody is speaking Spanish it all gets a bit surreal.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 08:44
    @suzianne said
    You have supported people in these same forums who hear someone's story and then call them a liar.
    If you have had a near death or scary life threatening experience, you should share it if you feel you want to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree