1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 08:511 edit
    I once had an anxiety attack which was so severe I was convinced that I was about to die at any moment. This was, for me, a very real near death experience. But in fact I was in good physical shape other than the gallons of bio-chemicals surging around blood stream yelling FIRE!

Edit: I was hospitalised and kept in overnight on suspicion of a mild heart attack with the high possibility of another (as medical people will know). I had to wait 24 hours for them to take a blood sample to check, so I waited, and waited and waited. Into the night I sat crossed-legged on my bed in a ward full of the sick and dying. It was a long wait. Eventually I drifted into a blank exhausted sleep.

“Wake up Mr divegeester” said the nurse looking down at me smiling “I need to take your blood sample”. “You sure know how to please a man in the middle of the night” I replied without thinking.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 09:39
    I was nearly taken out by a bus (not for dinner) a few years back. When my insomnia is at its worst I tend to make poor decisions when crossing the road. On this occasion, it was a complete stranger who called out and saved me from a rather silly end to my existence. I almost certainly would have been a pancake. Quite scary actually.
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 09:51
    I've had more than my share of "close calls".
    And I've seen too much death to fear it any more.
    "Death is", as the Japanese have said, "light as a feather".

Maybe, when I've more time, I'll post a comical ending to one of my lighter "death encounter" moments in Italy.

But some stories are best left...and pardon the pun...dead and buried.
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 10:16
    @wolfe63 said
    I've had more than my share of "close calls".
    And I've seen too much death to fear it any more.
    "Death is", as the Japanese have said, "light as a feather".

Maybe, when I've more time, I'll post a comical ending to one of my lighter "death encounter" moments in Italy.

But some stories are best left...and pardon the pun...dead and buried.
    It's interesting that these things seem to make people fear death less. I found it easy to share the younger misadventure stuff although I noticed I felt reluctant to do the detail on physical health stuff so maybe that says something about what makes me feel more vulnerable as well.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 12:14
    @relentless-red said
    It's interesting that these things seem to make people fear death less. I found it easy to share the younger misadventure stuff although I noticed I felt reluctant to do the detail on physical health stuff so maybe that says something about what makes me feel more vulnerable as well.
    I think I have mentioned this before (in some other thread) but when I was about 10-11 a group of friends were playing in an old army tent and one of the kids had brought their dog. It was the summertime and the tent was getting quite "warm" and the dog was panting a lot so I decided to "help it out of the tent. Well the dog decided that it didn't appreciate my "help" and bit me on the hand. It was a fairly deep bite and there was blood drawn. One of the boys (he was about 14 and quite knowledgeable in the ways of the world, nudge, nudge) informed me that I would likely get rabies and die in 24 hours. I ran home and told my parents what had happened and they assured me that the dog had had it's rabies shots and not to worry. Well the next day I had a "date" with the barber. I attended the sitting and above the mirror on the wall opposite was a large clock. I watched as the appointed hour approached for my passin. When the clock passed the time I felt a great weight come off my shoulders and my heart restarted. Since that "hour", low these many decades ago, I have never worried about death again. When it comes...it comes.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 14:01
    @Great-Big-Stees every time my wife cooks is a near death experiance.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 14:111 edit
    @badradger said
    @Great-Big-Stees every time my wife cooks is a near death experiance.
    And every time you mention it, you are one step closer...
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 14:21
    @torunn said
    And every time you mention it, you are one step closer...
    I never mention it, I remeber the Taj mahal Meatball incedent of 1974.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 14:31
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I was nearly taken out by a bus (not for dinner) a few years back. When my insomnia is at its worst I tend to make poor decisions when crossing the road. On this occasion, it was a complete stranger who called out and saved me from a rather silly end to my existence. I almost certainly would have been a pancake. Quite scary actually.
    i love pancakes with oxo gravy on
  10. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 14:33
    die before you die
    nobody lives forever
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '21 11:31
    @badradger said
    i love pancakes with oxo gravy on
    You need help. 😲 😉
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '21 11:37
    @great-big-stees said
    You need help. 😲 😉
    I do indeed, pancakes are nothing but flat yorkshire puddings, if my mam was skint we kids got pancakes, often there was no jam in the house so out came the oxo gravy, it reached a point in my early teens when i reallised i prefered the oxo and still do as do my kids & wife,ps we are all from yorkshire.
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '21 11:49
    @badradger said
    I do indeed, pancakes are nothing but flat yorkshire puddings, if my mam was skint we kids got pancakes, often there was no jam in the house so out came the oxo gravy, it reached a point in my early teens when i reallised i prefered the oxo and still do as do my kids & wife,ps we are all from yorkshire.
    One man's Oxo gravy is another's maple syrup...I guess. 😀
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '21 14:14
    @great-big-stees said
    One man's Oxo gravy is another's maple syrup...I guess. 😀
    maple syrup over here costs ££££££££ cheap ones are corrupted with corn oil.
  15. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 Mar '21 14:47
    @badradger said
    Interesting, I remember being given oxo cubes to eat by mother, who grew up in Yorkshire. You had to pick at it really slow and then it tasted good. Too much made you wince so it lasted a long time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree