1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 10:161 edit
    One useful thing to know is that different discussion groups can have different standards of netiquette, yet still work well for their members. Some can be very permisive — almost anything goes, while others are heavily moderated, potentially to the point of being too politically correct and stifling honesty and frankness.

I would advise those people who see themselves as some kind of 'forum police' (without actually being moderators) or as 'crusading for common decency' in more permissive forums that the really smart course of action is simply to leave the forum for an extended period or permanently. This is also commensurate with good netiquette. Respect the choices of those people who use those forums: they probably have good, valid reasons for preferring that sort of environment.

There will be somewhere online, probably even hundreds of websites, where you will be accepted and can thrive among like-minded people.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 10:20
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    One useful thing to know is that different discussion groups can have different standards of netiquette, yet still work well for their members. Some can be very permisive — almost anything goes, while others are heavily moderated, potentially to the point of being too politically correct and stifling honesty and frankness.

I would advise those peo ...[text shortened]... y even hundreds of websites, where you will be accepted and can thrive among like-minded people.
    Who are you talking to?
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 10:271 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Did you pass?
    I try to respect the golden rule without letting posts become anodyne and too PC, and realising that it's OK to have people I will always disagree with — even to have enemies.

I rarely get drawn into long tit-for-tat arguments; I know myself and I'm relatively confident in the validity of my viewpoints. I don't find it rewarding to try and debate too much online unless I feel comfortable in the community (though in face-to-face or telephone conversation I'm much more likely to assert myself).

Did I pass? Not yet. Will I pass? Yes, and I'm aiming for a distinction, but this is year 1 of 6 in my part-time degree.
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 10:291 edit
    Who are you talking to?
    It was an add-on to my first post. Just addressing the thread topic, and providing general advice based on what I perceive as the current atmosphere of these forums.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 11:121 edit
    It was an add-on to my first post. Just addressing the thread topic, and providing general advice based on what I perceive as the current atmosphere of these forums.
    It (the astmosphere) does tends to go through phases, but I feel it's always been generally the same. These conversations about wether the forums are getting worse or better are a bit like conversations about wether the climate is getting worse or better; interesting to a point but ultimately unsatisfying, as the mood here seems to change with the seasons, the thread topics, mix of posters posting and distribution of posts from posters. I've noticed that the general forum seems a little busier in recent weeks, while spirituality seems a little quieter. My guess is that eventually, given enough time one of two things will happen: either the forums will grind to a pathetic halt or someone will inadvertently type the entire works of Shakespeare.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 11:15
    It (the astmosphere) does tends to go through phases, but I feel it's always been generally the same. These conversations about wether the forums are getting worse or better are a bit like conversations about wether the climate is getting worse or better; interesting to a point but ultimately unsatisfying, as the mood here seems to change with the seaso ...[text shortened]... ill grind to a pathetic halt or someone will inadvertently type the entire works of Shakespeare.
    No, that never will ha-

ACT I SCENE I London. The palace.

[ Flourish of trumpets: then hautboys. Enter KING HENRY VI, GLOUCESTER, SALISBURY, WARWICK, and CARDINAL, on the one side; QUEEN MARGARET, SUFFOLK, YORK, SOMERSET, and BUCKINGHAM, on the other ]

SUFFOLK As by your high imperial majesty
    I had in charge at my depart for France,
    As procurator to your excellence,
    To marry Princess Margaret for your grace,
    So, in the famous ancient city, Tours,
    In presence of the Kings of France and Sicil,
    The Dukes of Orleans, Calaber, Bretagne and Alencon,
    Seven earls, twelve barons and twenty reverend bishops,
    I have perform'd my task and was espoused:
    And humbly now upon my bended knee,
    In sight of England and her lordly peers,
    Deliver up my title in the queen
    To your most gracious hands, that are the substance
    Of that great shadow I did represent;
    The happiest gift that ever marquess gave,
    The fairest queen that ever king received.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Oct '15 06:31
    Netiquette is covered in the course materials of my computing degree.

Most of it boils down to the 'Golden Rule', which was independently developed by most/all cultures and religions long ago: treat others as you yourself would like to be treated.

There are a few other pretty good tips, which for some seem like common sense, but others may need reminding of. I recommend finding a good guide online — perhaps search academic websites.
    "Most of it boils down to the 'Golden Rule', which was independently developed by most/all cultures and religions long ago: treat others as you yourself would like to be treated."

Well said (and your words seems to define baseline civility offline as well as in online public forums).
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '15 06:53
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Well said (and your words seems to define baseline civility offline as well as in online public forums).
    Who here - in your estimation - does not treat others as they themselves would like to be treated?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 06:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    Who here - in your estimation - does not treat others as they themselves would like to be treated?
    The sole topic of this thread is a discussion of "Netiquette" not fixation on members of Red Hot Pawn.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 06:41
    The sole topic of this thread is a discussion of "Netiquette" not fixation on members of Red Hot Pawn.
    A couple of posts up this page you indicated that you subscribe to the notion that we should treat others as we ourselves would like to be treated ~ something which we both agree on ~ and something absolutely central to the notion of "netiquette".

You chunter on endlessly about "trolls" and a lack of "civility" and now "netiquette" too.

If both you and I believe that we should treat others as we ourselves would like to be treated, and that that is front and central in any definition of 'etiquette on the net' - and you're forever bemoaning the supposed lack of etiquette here at RHP - then who here - in your estimation - does not treat others as they themselves would like to be treated?

It's a bang-on-topic question and in direct response to what you have said on this thread about this topic.

You need to answer it, I think, if you are the slightest bit interested in discussing this topic sincerely.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 06:50
    The sole topic of this thread is a discussion of "Netiquette"... .
    And I am trying to discuss what you have referred to as the "baseline civility" of "Netiquette".
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 13:49
    i only have two options according to bostobobollo...
    something something something immature.
    and,
    something pretending to be something something something...
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 16:261 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    A couple of posts up this page you indicated that you subscribe to the notion that we should treat others as we ourselves would like to be treated ~ something which we both agree on ~ and something absolutely central to the notion of "netiquette".

You chunter on endlessly about "trolls" and a lack of "civility" and now "netiquette" too.

If both you and I be ...[text shortened]... d to answer it, I think, if you are the slightest bit interested in discussing this topic sincerely.
    Originally posted by FMF
    "You chunter on endlessly about "trolls" and a lack of "civility" and now "netiquette" too."

Reminder: "trolls" represent a category of posters to online public forums;
    they are referenced as "trolls" not as members of Red Hot Pawn per se.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 16:301 edit
    Originally posted by rookie54
    i only have two options according to bostobobollo...
    something something something immature.
    and,
    something pretending to be something something something...
    You've understandably changed since @hakima stopped posting to these public forums on "12 May '15 22:29". ~Boston Lad
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '15 00:34
    Reminder: "trolls" represent a category of posters to online public forums;
    they are referenced as "trolls" not as members of Red Hot Pawn per se.
    NoEarthlyReason said "[netiquette] boils down to the 'Golden Rule', which was independently developed by most/all cultures and religions long ago: treat others as you yourself would like to be treated."

You said "Well said (and your words seems to define baseline civility offline as well as in online public forums)."

And so, because you agree that treating others as you yourself would like to be treated, and believe it underpins "baseline civility on online public forums", AND you complain so much about what you personally see as a "lack of civility" on this online forum, so it only stands to reason to ask you: who is it here at RHP that you think breaks NoEarthlyReason's 'Golden Rule'?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree