Netiquette

What is "Netiquette"?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 02:20
    net (internet) etiquette...

there's a word for obfuscation like this, i just cannot seem to recall it...
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 03:261 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    What is "Netiquette"?
    It can either be...

a term to refer to the way people actually interact on the internet, as in '...netiquette is a whole new ball game when it comes to freedom of expression and interaction as the internet is now embracing and empowering numerous, new, diverse participants.'

or it can be...

a term which introduces some notions aimed at inhibiting or censuring others for interacting with others on the internet as they see fit, as in '...all these people who have the uncouth gall to disagree with me might as well be offering the content of their fouled diapers and be beset by deep emotional psychological problems because they don't have the necessary netiquette to avoid making uncivil personalized remarks about those they do not see eye to eye with; instead they ought to post like me'.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 03:41
    [b]Netiquette

What is "Netiquette"?[/b]
    It's just copywriter shorthand for "net etiquette", which is just "how to behave among strangers who happen to be using the internet at the same time as you are". Nothing more.

The behaviour rules are exactly the same as those in real life. Given that the internet is an international beast, they cannot be parochial, so you can't expect to impose your wishlist on everyone.

So really, it's a meaningless term.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 04:19
    1. DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

2. CONDEMN COPY PASTING, LACK OF CREATIVITY AND SPAMMING.

3. REPEAT.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 05:385 edits
    [b]Netiquette

Netiquette is a cheesy term which has been derived by Internet forum users to represent a common set of unwritten shared eclectic values aimed and providing forum users with a landscape of generally acceptable behaviour within an online community. As this "landscape" is unwritten and invisible, the term is soley adjective and of little practical use in stemming the misbehaviour of those who either deliberately or inadvertently contravene it's nebulous fringe.

When dealing with those in the Ethernet Comminity who contravene what may be considered as the local "netiquette", some online forum users will choose to lever the openness and honesty of direct conversation, feedback and challenge; an interface technique which can prove provocative and unpalatable to some, but which generally fosters honesty and a healthier long-term forum prognosis. However, other Internet forum users prefer to take the "slip-one-in" approach to correcting others behaviour, a technique involving posting a copious amount of bland, repetitive, non-offensive white noise copy/paste material, within which is a hyper-targeted, passive-aggressive message to the writer's detractors and non-devotees.

Netiquette: making the Internet a better place for us all.
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 07:03
    [b]Netiquette

A quilt made from nets, often old fishermen's nets.
    It's a bit rough to the touch and not usually tidily made; so better viewed from a far.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 07:16
    The N is from NOSTRIL.

The ETI is from the French D'ESTOMAC GAZ INTERNE EXCESSIF .

The QUETTE is from BOUQUET
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 06:04
    This thread is beginning to remind me of a TV show, but not enough that I can remember it's name 😕
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 06:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    This thread is beginning to remind me of a TV show, but not enough that I can remember it's name 😕
    Thingamajig (BBC 1969-1972) or Thingamabob (ITV 1975-1976)?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 14:59
    Netiquette

What is "Netiquette"?
    My thanks to each you who have consistently remained on topic and clarified the meaning of "Netiquette" with your thoughtful insights. Here's my own point of view expressed in the following linear grid which reduces "Netiquette" to its irreducible essence [that which defines this desirable online public forum behavior in contrast to its polar opposite behavioral extreme]. Humility: Simply having the character quality of a modest and realistic view of your own importance; Arrogance: Simply having an exaggerated sense of your own importance while ignoring the importance of other contributors:

Humility:1 ------------ 2 ------------- 3 ------------- 4 ------------- 5 ------------- 6 ------------- 7 ------------- 8 ------------- 9 ------------- 10 Arrogance
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 15:00
    Originally posted by yo its me
    A quilt made from nets, often old fishermen's nets.
    It's a bit rough to the touch and not usually tidily made; so better viewed from a far.
    Clever.
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 15:18
    My thanks to each you who have consistently remained on topic and clarified the meaning of "Netiquette" with your thoughtful insights. Here's my own point of view expressed in the following linear grid which reduces "Netiquette" to its irreducible essence [that which defines this desirable online public forum behavior in contrast to its polar opposite ...[text shortened]... --- 5 ------------- 6 ------------- 7 ------------- 8 ------------- 9 ------------- 10 Arrogance
    Out there on the right wing as usual, eh Bobby?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 16:161 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Out there on the right wing as usual, eh Bobby?
    while you are so far right you're probably on a different server in a different universe 😀
  15. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 16:55
    Here's my own point of view expressed in the following linear grid which reduces "Netiquette" to its irreducible essence [that which defines this desirable online public forum behavior in contrast to its polar opposite behavioral extreme].
    the term irreducible essence is arrogantly incorrect...
    especially so, since you've been schooled as to what the term netiquette means by countless contributors...
    back to the beginning, start over, noooo, do it again...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree