Newby

Newby

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c
student

preston uni

Moves
20 May 14

Anything to help me enjoy this site.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 May 14

Originally posted by charlieburton
You can just play chess if you want, or enter discussion forums, or both.

If discussion forums are your bag, I suggest you just watch for while and get familiar with forum etiquette (such as it is). "The honorable gentleman is a flaming idiot!" is not good form right away--best to wait a few posts before getting to that point. You'll figure out pretty quickly who are the wackos and who are the sensible people here. Just don't try to impress us with how clever you are; everyone here is clever. Impress us with how nice you are and you'll make a big splash.

If chess, then post an open invite (see icon at the top of your browser) and choose your time span.

Have fun, and may the farce be with you.

c
student

preston uni

Moves
20 May 14

Originally posted by moonbus
You can just play chess if you want, or enter discussion forums, or both.

If discussion forums are your bag, I suggest you just watch for while and get familiar with forum etiquette (such as it is). "The honorable gentleman is a flaming idiot!" is not good form right away--best to wait a few posts before getting to that point. You'll figure out pretty qui ...[text shortened]... the top of your browser) and choose your time span.

Have fun, and may the farce be with you.
Thank you very much I have 6 games on now and will follow your advice.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 May 14

Thank you very much I have 6 games on now and will follow your advice.
Yes, I see you're off to a good start. You can challenge me in the autumn if you want to; I'm too busy right now to play much.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
20 May 14

to truly enjoy yer time here,
i must insist you fork over the cash...
lest you be labeled non-sub scum,
and relegated to removing the trash...

RHP Member No.16

Moves
20 May 14

Take some time to look around and follow links.
Read through the Help/FAQ section.
Check the "site map" link at the bottom of the page.
Take a look at the "my settings" options.

If you want to see information for a specific person, click their username link and you will be taken to their profile page.

If you have a question and can't find an answer, browse through the "help forum" or use the "search forums" feature. There is a good chance that whatever is puzzling you has already been discussed at some time.

If all else fails, use the "help forum" to post a question.

In addition to using the forum, you can ask any member questions by using a private message or PM. One link for that is on their profile page.

Be patient, both in your games and trying to get answers. This is an international correspondence chess site and members come and go at all hours of the day and night from all over the world. Some seem to live here 24/7, and others may stop by several times per day or only be in for just a few minutes per day, or even less frequently.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
20 May 14

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 May 14

PS, in case you haven't played correspondence chess before, using engines (chess-playing computer programs) to help you analyze a running game is very naughty. Discussing a running game (i.e., asking for advice) in a chess forum thread is very naughty. You may use chess books and magazines, and you may consult any chess games you find in a published database (there are several on the Internet), during a running game; you may copy the moves made by some master in a published game (as long as your opponent copies HIS opponent's moves, of course). You may analyze your games post mortem using an engine, or post your finished games to a chess forum thread and ask for post mortem advice from some of the stronger players here.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
20 May 14

Originally posted by rookie54
I resemble that remark. 🙂

Moves
20 May 14

...everyone here is clever...
?? Uh, no, I've only got this one account. 😕

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 May 14

Welcome, Newby. I sense from this polite, no nonsense first thread that you'll catch on quickly and make many new friends.

c
student

preston uni

Moves
20 May 14

Originally posted by rookie54
I have no money at the moment still at uni.

c
student

preston uni

Moves
20 May 14

Originally posted by mwmiller
Take some time to look around and follow links.
Read through the Help/FAQ section.
Check the "site map" link at the bottom of the page.
Take a look at the "my settings" options.

If you want to see information for a specific person, click their username link and you will be taken to their profile page.

If you have a question and can't find an ...[text shortened]... by several times per day or only be in for just a few minutes per day, or even less frequently.
thanks

c
student

preston uni

Moves
20 May 14

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I think you must be nice.

c
student

preston uni

Moves
20 May 14

PS, in case you haven't played correspondence chess before, using engines (chess-playing computer programs) to help you analyze a running game is very naughty. Discussing a running game (i.e., asking for advice) in a chess forum thread is very naughty. You may use chess books and magazines, and you may consult any chess games you find in a published database ...[text shortened]... s to a chess forum thread and ask for post mortem advice from some of the stronger players here.
I would rather learn by my own mistakes or there is no point but thanks for the advice really.