1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 06:28
    I am sure I am not the only one who feels a bit nostalgic about the diversity and character of car designs in the decades before the 80s and 90s where the look of cars then got largely homogenized. If a contemporary mid-range run around town family car - whose manufacturer is scarcely discernible without seeing the name, trademark or symbol on the rear or steering wheel - were to have been transported back in time, would the people of the 1970s have said "wow, what a great looking car that is"?
  2. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 09:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am sure I am not the only one who feels a bit nostalgic about the diversity and character of car designs in the decades before the 80s and 90s where the look of cars then got largely homogenized. If a contemporary mid-range run around town family car - whose manufacturer is scarcely discernible without seeing the name, trademark or symbol on the rear or steeri ...[text shortened]... d back in time, would the people of the 1970s have said "wow, what a great looking car that is"?
    Yep
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 11:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am sure I am not the only one who feels a bit nostalgic about the diversity and character of car designs in the decades before the 80s and 90s where the look of cars then got largely homogenized. If a contemporary mid-range run around town family car - whose manufacturer is scarcely discernible without seeing the name, trademark or symbol on the rear or steeri ...[text shortened]... d back in time, would the people of the 1970s have said "wow, what a great looking car that is"?
    Yep, welcome to the 21st century.....
  4. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 12:183 edits
    Aerodynamics is the reason modern cars look similar. For most people cars are just tools to get from point A to point B. So functionality is more important than making a fashion statement.

I just want a 2 door, rear wheel drive with a manual transmission. But they don't make them like that anymore.
  5. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 14:19
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    Aerodynamics is the reason modern cars look similar. For most people cars are just tools to get from point A to point B. So functionality is more important than making a fashion statement.

I just want a 2 door, rear wheel drive with a manual transmission. But they don't make them like that anymore.
    You can borrow my M3.
    Its a 4 litre V8.
  6. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 14:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    In the same way people are nostalgic for rickets, polio and ration cards.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 16:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    There is more than one period of interesting automobile design,. IMO the interesting period of US car design was 1957 through about 1965 which encompasses the '57 Chevrolet, '59-61 Cadillac, '63 Corvair (dangerous but sporty), '64 Mustang, '64 Pontiac GTO (I'd say the '65 if it weren't for the vertically stacked headlights) and '65 Chevy Impala 2D hardtop. I owned or drove several of these cars. Under the hood there wasn't much going on except horsepower, but the body design during this period was interesting. They could be almost fully maintained in the driveway.

I believe the era of collectables is coming to an end.

I have friends who scoff at the very idea of a US-made collectable car. Classic-era Porsches, Ferrari Testarossas,etc. are their cup of tea.
  8. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 16:121 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    There is more than one period of interesting automobile design,. IMO the interesting period of US car design was 1957 through about 1965 which encompasses the '57 Chevrolet, '59-61 Cadillac, '63 Corvair (dangerous but sporty), '64 Mustang, '64 Pontiac GTO (I'd say the '65 if it weren't for the vertically stacked headlights) and '65 Chevy Impala 2D hardtop. I ...[text shortened]... a US-made collectable car. Classic-era Porsches, Ferrari Testarossas,etc. are their cup of tea.
    Dodge Charger

Shelby Cobra

Great cars
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 17:21
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47

Here are 20 of them in this photo gallery:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g2161/20-best-cars-with-manual-transmission/?slide=1
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 21:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Beauty is only skin deep. In the U.S. northeast, cars of the 60s and 70s rusted out after not too many years.

My cookie-cutter 2000 Honda Accord is still going strong with no signs of senility or arthritis.
  11. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 21:52
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    [b]Beauty is only skin deep.
    ConvenientAndrew you are correct that beauty is only skin deep.
    Nobody is ever going to tell you that you have a beautiful pancreas.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 01:07
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    ConvenientAndrew you are correct that beauty is only skin deep.
    Nobody is ever going to tell you that you have a beautiful pancreas.
    Funny you should mention that. Just the other day my radiologist told me she found it quite attractive.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 01:11
    Funny you should mention that. Just the other day my radiologist told me she found it quite attractive.
    Your 2000 Honda Accord?
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 01:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your 2000 Honda Accord?
    That too.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 01:46
    That too.
    You keep your pancreas in a Japanese car?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree