1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    26 Jan '24 16:27
    When the two collide we have the sin of nature, a product without either. Unnatural twins.

The interplay between nurture and nature is indeed a complex and fascinating aspect of human development and behavior. When these two forces collide, we can sometimes end up with individuals who lack the full benefits of either - hence the term "unnatural twins". This could manifest as a person who lacks the guidance and support of nurturing environments, yet also struggles with the inherent limitations of their genetic makeup. It's a delicate balance that shapes our lives in many ways. This can lead to a person who is neither fully developed by nature nor adequately guided by nurture, resulting in a state of being that is neither fully realized nor fully understood.

The phrase "Don't spare the rod" is a reference to the tension between nature and nurture. In the context of this biblical verse, it refers to the importance of discipline and correction in childhood, which is seen as a part of nature. However, it also acknowledges the role of nurture, as parents are encouraged to guide and shape their children's behavior, which is a part of nurture.
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 Jan '24 16:55
    what purpose does this lecture perform?
    think ye wise enough to teach the hoi poi?

i do not want answers for those two questions
    i wanna know if you have progeny, and if that spawn has ever been locked in a cell, for whatever infraction of the law, and if it was yer fault or mine
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Jan '24 17:01
    Nature/nurture is a false dichotomy.

Social animals learn their behavior from the other members of their pack/flock/pride, etc. Same with humans.

A bird that was pushed out of the nest by its parent has learned to do the same with their offspring. This helps encourage flying. That's both nature and nurture.

There is no difference between the two.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '24 17:05
    @pettytalk said
    When the two collide we have the sin of nature, a product without either. Unnatural twins.

The interplay between nurture and nature is indeed a complex and fascinating aspect of human development and behavior. When these two forces collide, we can sometimes end up with individuals who lack the full benefits of either - hence the term "unnatural twins". This could manife ...[text shortened]... as parents are encouraged to guide and shape their children's behavior, which is a part of nurture.
    Interesting.
  5. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    26 Jan '24 18:45
    @vivify said

Social animals learn their behavior from the other members of their pack/flock/pride, etc. Same with humans.

A bird that was pushed out of the nest by its parent has learned to do the same with their offspring. This helps encourage flying. That's both nature and nurture.

You have drawn a false picture for yourself.

It wasn't specified who might bear and use a "rod" to discipline those in need. However, it does touch upon the core issue. It's not solely the parents' natural duty to administer discipline to the overly stubborn and uncooperative young. It's the duty of the entire family, the entire neighborhood, the entire town, the entire nation, and the entirety of humanity. Humans are birds of a feather and naturally flock together socially, and in modern times globally. Pushing them out of a nest is something entirely different.

Since birds typically nest on high, some birds, prematurely, have a natural fear of heights. It's also the force of nature nurturing the sweet birds of youth from taking flight before they grow the feathers of flight. Nature and nurture work in harmony for the survival of the species. Nurture, as defined here, is the care for and encouragement of the growth or development of someone, a human being. Nurture should not contradict nature. That was the essence of the thread.

Nature and nurture, as pointed out, must work in harmony with each other, and not in contradiction. Instead of viewing nature and nurture as opposing forces, it's more accurate to consider them as intertwined elements that influence human development. The real question is how nature and nurture work together to produce human experiences in health and illness. There are times when nurture may seem harsh, but it's for the benefit of society as a whole.
  6. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 00:35
    @pettytalk said
    You have drawn a false picture for yourself.

It wasn't specified who might bear and use a "rod" to discipline those in need. However, it does touch upon the core issue. It's not solely the parents' natural duty to administer discipline to the overly stubborn and uncooperative young. It's the duty of the entire family, the entire neighborhood, the entire town, the entire ...[text shortened]... llness. There are times when nurture may seem harsh, but it's for the benefit of society as a whole.
    So are you thinking we’re going down hill fast from our individual formation from family/nature interactions/group development leading to our larger societal grouping/D and relation to one another in the world, or are you leaning towards forward progress at this point in time? Just curious what you see.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 00:382 edits
    @vivify said

Nonsense.
  8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 00:46
    @mike69 said
    So are you thinking we’re going down hill fast from our individual formation from family/nature interactions/group development leading to our larger societal grouping/D and relation to one another in the world, or are you leaning towards forward progress at this point in time? Just curious what you see.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Good point Mike.
  9. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 01:06
    @the-gravedigger said
    Good point Mike.
    Newton-First law an object will not change its motion unless a force acts on it. In the second law, the force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In the third law, when two objects interact, they apply forces to each other of equal magnitude and opposite direction.

I think there will have to be another solution to find balance and harmony in all directions but certainly a large part.
  10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 02:17
    @mike69 said
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Actually, and I don't mean to appear rude, you have no idea where I was leading to, or from. Sometimes, being blunt requires nature and a little nurture to get the point across the bridge over a divide. In other words, only a few are privy to the nature for nurturing well-being, locally.

Otherwise, your question is well put. If I could see those things you are curious about, I would be able to provide a better answer. Unfortunately, I have a serious equilibrium problem and I avoid leaning as much as possible. I'm also blind when it comes to seeing the future, and I can barely see past my nose on a clear day. Regarding progress or regression when it concerns social order and social well-being, you will have to look elsewhere, Mike.
  11. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 03:44
    @pettytalk said
    Actually, and I don't mean to appear rude, you have no idea where I was leading to, or from. Sometimes, being blunt requires nature and a little nurture to get the point across the bridge over a divide. In other words, only a few are privy to the nature for nurturing well-being, locally.

Otherwise, your question is well put. If I could see those things you are curious ab ...[text shortened]... gression when it concerns social order and social well-being, you will have to look elsewhere, Mike.
    Your topic sounded interesting, if I appeared blunt to you it wasn’t meant that way. It was a question to get the ball rolling and to start understanding the full direction or point you want to make. Everything I said can be solved with thought no crystal balls, maybe leading to other interesting topics.
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 06:462 edits
    @pettytalk said

Otherwise, your question is well put. If I could see those things you are curious ab ...[text shortened]... gression when it concerns social order and social well-being, you will have to look elsewhere, Mike.
    I don’t mean to appear rude but I find your comments completely bewildering? Or rather, ‘I’ am completely bewildered by what you are on about half of the time?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 07:42
    @drewnogal said
    I don’t mean to appear rude but I find your comments completely bewildering? Or rather, ‘I’ am completely bewildered by what you are on about half of the time?
    It's a case of inferiority complex driven word salads and/or bland drivel, methinks.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 10:39
    @fmf said
    It's a case of inferiority complex driven word salads and/or bland drivel, methinks.
    ☝🏽
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 10:52
    Oh my God.

I come to RHP to clear my head from classes.

This is not what I come here for.

I start getting anxious because I don't have my pen and notebook, kind of like that dream where you are giving a speech naked.

And pseudo-intellectuals are hard to discern from actual intellectuals because you have to actually listen to them and process what they're saying to know profound from fakey-profound.

I'm not ready for this after work when all I want is a tumbler of good jamaican rum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree