Odd birds

SubscriberKewpie
General 02 Dec '12 04:01
  1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 04:01
    Crows in the Spirituality Forum (yes, really!) made me think of this.

Yesterday I found a medium-sized black bird sitting on the floor in front of my refrigerator. About two inches or 5cm from the centre of the door at its lowest point. Calm and quiet completely still, although my two cats were a few metres away and extremely interested. After packing the cats off into a closed room, I placed a big colander over the bird which still sat quietly, although it started getting nervous when I slid a piece of cardboard under its feet. Took my assembly outside on to the decking and placed it. Bird still not moving much. Lifted off the colander and bird suddenly went from 0 to 100 mph in 2 seconds ...

Birds occasionally fly into the house, go into a panic and are extremely difficult to move. This one's behaviour was really so weird.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 08:13
    Portent. Beware!
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 08:16
    If I were a bird stuck in a kitchen and surrounded by cats, I'd hold still until a chance came to bolt. Much like the fabled black bird.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 16:28
    Lady Gaga.
  5. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 16:52
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Crows in the Spirituality Forum (yes, really!) made me think of this.

Yesterday I found a medium-sized black bird sitting on the floor in front of my refrigerator. About two inches or 5cm from the centre of the door at its lowest point. Calm and quiet completely still, although my two cats were a few metres away and extremely interested. After packing t ...[text shortened]... go into a panic and are extremely difficult to move. This one's behaviour was really so weird.
    A few years ago, a jay would not move when I was mowing the grass nearby. I trapped him, call the county, and he tested positive for West Nile Virus. Jays and Crows are susceptible.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 01:491 edit
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    A few years ago, a jay would not move when I was mowing the grass nearby. I trapped him, call the county, and he tested positive for West Nile Virus. Jays and Crows are susceptible.
    This is good information to know for a change! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree