1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '19 21:041 edit
    I’m currently binge-watching the remake of the TV series of Battlestar Galactica (2004-2009) and finding it to be much more enjoyable and engaging than I initially expected.

71 episodes 😳
  2. Standard memberAnderssen
    Legally stoned...
    Moves
    21 Oct '19 21:082 edits
    Murder Maps (new)
    It's about London's infamous murder cases from the 1800's up until now.
    Netflix

I just got done watching all of the old "Unsolved Mysteries" series from the 1990's
    Tubi
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    21 Oct '19 23:201 edit
    Downton Abbey
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Oct '19 03:551 edit
    @divegeester said
    I’m currently binge-watching the remake of the TV series of Battlestar Galactica (2004-2009) and finding it to be much more enjoyable and engaging than I initially expected.

71 episodes 😳
    I'm somewhere in season three, I've let it go a few months.

I learned about Katie Sackhoff from her role as a deputy in Longmire (another good show, btw) and when I learned she played Starbuck in the new BG, I started watching that too.

It's better than I expected, but near the end of season three it's starting to slow down a lot, along with my interest.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '19 05:351 edit
    @suzianne said
    I'm somewhere in season three, I've let it go a few months.

I learned about Katie Sackhoff from her role as a deputy in Longmire (another good show, btw) and when I learned she played Starbuck in the new BG, I started watching that too.

It's better than I expected, but near the end of season three it's starting to slow down a lot, along with my interest.
    I initially found the re-characterisation of Starbuck to be a little too much of a feminism fantasy, and I still do to some extent. The cigars and card playing etc, it’s all a bit A Team and Dirty Dozen. But Katie Sackhoff’s performance carries it, she just makes it believable.

But my favourite character is the wonderfully flaky and deeply flawed English villain-without-a-cause Gaius Baltar, played brilliantly by James Callis. His performance would be Oscar worthy if this was a movie.

I’m disappointed to hear that it drops off but I suppose it is inevitable. I can see why the series was successful though as the stories are solid, the screenplay tight and the acting excellent.

Incidentally, I kept noticing Mormon affectations in the script so I looked it up and guess what, the concept is based loosely on Mormonism.

PS I hated the original Battlestar Galactic with a vengeance, which is why I never bothered with this remake.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    22 Oct '19 06:27
    After five successful seasons here, the British series 'Shetland' has finally caught my attention, despite the many recommendations I have had from friends since it started. I am catching up and I love it.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Oct '19 15:501 edit
    @divegeester said
    I initially found the re-characterisation of Starbuck to be a little too much of a feminism fantasy, and I still do to some extent. The cigars and card playing etc, it’s all a bit A Team and Dirty Dozen. But Katie Sackhoff’s performance carries it, she just makes it believable.

But my favourite character is the wonderfully flaky and deeply flawed English villain-witho ...[text shortened]... d the original Battlestar Galactic with a vengeance, which is why I never bothered with this remake.
    Baltar is one of those characters you love to hate. The cylon Number Six (Tricia Helfer) was put there as eye candy, but her role fleshes out later.

And I agree, few actresses could have pulled off Starbuck. She's also better than most of the roles she's chosen. She was in 2018's British sci-fi film 2036: Origin Unknown. Her role was adequate, but I thought the film in general just stunk.

Interesting you say her character is all A-Team and Dirty Dozen. So was the role as played by Dirk Benedict in the original series. Benedict also played Peck on The A-Team. Her portrayal is similar to his, she's just a woman, is the only difference.

Another interesting point. The character Tom Zarek was played by Richard Hatch, who played Captain Apollo on the original series.

As for the LDS connection, Glen Larson (executive producer of the original series) was LDS, so that kind of explains it.
  8. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    22 Oct '19 16:421 edit
    @divegeester

After seeing some True Fans praising the series even after so many years, I shopped eBay to find a bargain on the pilot episode of "Babylon 5", and I enjoyed that enough that I now have the first season boxed set.

I plan to start watching those as winter and bad weather move in, and I think it will be a fun treat, since I'd never seen so much as a minute of the show before watching the pilot!
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '19 19:12
    @suzianne said
    Interesting you say her character is all A-Team and Dirty Dozen. So was the role as played by Dirk Benedict in the original series. Benedict also played Peck on The A-Team. Her portrayal is similar to his, she's just a woman, is the only difference.

Another interesting point. The character Tom Zarek was played by Richard Hatch, who played Captain Apollo on the origina ...[text shortened]... ction, Glen Larson (executive producer of the original series) was LDS, so that kind of explains it.
    Well she carries it better than Benedict who’s a horses ass of an actor imo. I just thought that trying to make her all pseudo-macho was a mistake. Surely I even in 2004 we were past the point of making women look strong by making them act like men?

Good spot on Richard Hatch, I watched that episode yesterday and thought he looked familiar.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '19 19:13
    @gambiteer said
    @divegeester

After seeing some True Fans praising the series even after so many years, I shopped eBay to find a bargain on the pilot episode of "Babylon 5", and I enjoyed that enough that I now have the first season boxed set.

I plan to start watching those as winter and bad weather move in, and I think it will be a fun treat, since I'd never seen so much as a minute of the show before watching the pilot!
    I don’t think B5 would be my cup of tea for binge. But you go for it and enjoy. Hope you don’t get snowed in!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree