1. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    28 Jan '15 04:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]On This Date in History

"Jan 20, 1961: John F. Kennedy inaugurated: On January 20, 1961, on the newly renovated east front of the United States Capitol, John Fitzgerald Kennedy is inaugurated as the 35th president of the United States. It was a cold and clear day, and the nation's capital was covered with a snowfall from the previous ni ...[text shortened]... [/b] Your comments and insights are welcome to this new feature of Red Hot Pawn's General Forum.[/b]
    Nice post GB. Thanksgiving week 2013 I went to Dallas to visit my daughter. By coincidence it was about a week after the 50th anniversary of the assassination. The city threw a few bucks into the plaza to recreate as many things as they could from 50 years earlier, right down to the same flowers growing out of the park near the site. I stood where Zapruder stood when he shot the film. Then I went down to curbside where he was shot. It was such a moving experience it was all I could do to hold back the tears. I never new when he got shot that the car was actually going down a hill, to me it looked like a flat surface to me.Book deposit building, grassy knoll, picket fence, roadside, what I could not get over was how close all these things were to each other. I don't believe in much, but I do believe this was a multiple person job. I am not military, but if you are standing right there, this place looked like the most perfect place to get someone. The car was probably a car length from the bottom of the hill, and it looked like the bottom of a bowl. The fence, depository, you could just see this was the perfect place for a crossfire. It was for some reason a very moving experience to visit there.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 02:59
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    Nice post GB. Thanksgiving week 2013 I went to Dallas to visit my daughter. By coincidence it was about a week after the 50th anniversary of the assassination. The city threw a few bucks into the plaza to recreate as many things as they could from 50 years earlier, right down to the same flowers growing out of the park near the site. I stood where Zapruder s ...[text shortened]... e perfect place for a crossfire. It was for some reason a very moving experience to visit there.
    Thanks, Bob. Many people still remember where they were on that momentous history changing day.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 03:06
    On This Day in History (January 28)

◦January 28, 1965 Number one hit on UK music charts - The Moody Blues - Go Now.

◦January 28, 1965 The Who make their first appearance on British TV.

◦January 28, 1970 Lubom¡r Strougal succeeds Cernik as premier of Czechoslovakia.

◦January 28, 1973 """Barnaby Jones"" premieres on CBS TV".

◦January 28, 1973 "Ron Howard appears on M*AS*H in ""Sometimes You Hear the Bullet"".

◦January 28, 1978 """Fantasy Island"" starring Ricardo Montalban premieres on ABC TV".

◦January 28, 1978 Ted Nugent autographs a fan's arm with his knife.

◦January 28, 1980 37th Golden Globes Dustin Hoffman & Sally Field wins.

◦January 28, 1980 USCGC Blackthorn (WLB-391) collides with the tanker Capricorn while leaving Tampa Bay Florida and capsizes; killing 23 Coast Guard crewmembers.

◦January 28, 1981 "Olympic Glory tanker at Galveston Bay, Texas, spills 1 million gallons of oil in a ship collision".

◦January 28, 1981 William J Casey becomes the 13th director of CIA (until 1987).

◦January 28, 1982 "At the direction of Attorney General William French Smith, the Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) began reporting to the Director of the FBI. The FBI and DEA were given concurrent jurisdiction over narcotics violations and have worked together on these matters since this time."

◦January 28, 1982 "Italian special forces rescue U.S. Brigadier General James L. Dozier, who had been kidnapped by the Red Brigades."

◦January 28, 1982 US Army general James L. Dozier is rescued by Italian anti-terrorism forces after 42 days of captivity under the Red Brigades.

◦January 28, 1984 Number one hit on UK music charts - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax.

◦January 28, 1984 "Record 295,000 dominoes toppled, Fuerth, West Germany".

◦January 28, 1986 ""Uptown... It's Hot!"" opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater New York City NY for 24 performances".

◦January 28, 1986 25th Space Shuttle (51L)-Challenger 10 explodes 73 seconds after liftoff.

◦January 28, 1986 "Angolan Unity Leader Jonas Savimbi visits Washington, DC".

◦January 28, 1987 US Foreign minister George Shultz meets ANC-leader Oliver Tambo.

◦January 28, 1988 Canada's Supreme court declares anti-abortion law unconstitutional.

◦January 28, 1989 "46th Golden Globes Rain Man, Working Girl".

◦January 28, 1989 Number one hit on UK music charts - Marc Almond with Gene Pitney - Somethings Gotten Hold Of My Heart.

◦January 28, 1990 """Independent on Sunday"" begins publishing in London."

◦January 28, 1990 East German agreement to form all-party government.

◦January 28, 1991 """A Closer Look"" with Faith Daniels premieres on NBC-TV".

◦January 28, 1991 18th American Music Award M C Hammer & Janet Jackson

◦January 28, 1991 Dictator Siad Barre flees Somalia ending 22 year rule

◦January 28, 1994 "Helicopter crashes into office building in San Jose CA, 1 dead."

◦January 28, 1994 The first trial of accused murderer Lyle Menendez ends in a mistrial. He and his brother Erik are later found guilty and sentenced to life in prison without parole.

◦January 28, 1997 "Pasadena, Texas is cleaning up after a tornado touched down on the city's main drag"

◦January 28, 1997 "The Monday afternoon rush hour turned into a demolition derby as freezing rain pelted streets from Vancouver to Hope. Hundreds of accidents were reported throughout the Lower Mainland. The most spectacular was a 15 vehicle, after it lost control on the slippery hill."

◦January 28, 1998 "Gunmen hold at least 400 children and teachers hostage for several hours at an elementary school in Manila, Philippines."

◦January 28, 1998 "Michelangelo, ""Christ & the Woman of Samaria,"" sold for $7.4 million"

◦January 28, 2002 "TAME Flight 120, a Boeing 727-100 crashes in the Andes mountains in southern Colombia killing 92."

◦January 28, 2004 Lord Hutton publishes his report into the death of UN weapons inspector Dr. David Kelly."

http://www.datesinhistory.com/jan28.php
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 08:56
    30th Jan 70 years ago

The Wilhelm Gustloff, overfilled with German refugees,
    sinks in the Baltic Sea after being torpedoed by a Soviet
    submarine, killing approximately 9,500 people.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 20:23
    Will any RHP Members be celebrating their birthdays in February?
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 20:56
    Me.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 03:43
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    Me.
    Hey, Bob, on which date were you born?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 07:04
    "Today's Highlight in History: On Feb. 8, 1915, D.W. Griffith's groundbreaking as well as controversial silent movie epic about the Civil War, "The Birth of a Nation," premiered in Los Angeles. On this date: 2 hours ago" (Google menu feature)
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 11:26
    I reckon about 8% of them.
    Amazing.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 14:261 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I reckon about 8% of them.
    Amazing.
    I reckon only 28/365 of them or 7.67%, IF the distribution is even.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 14:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I reckon only 28/365 of them or 7.67%, IF the distribution is even.
    Well, that certainly is about 8%.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 15:13
    [b]On This Day in History (January 28)

◦January 28, 1965 Number one hit on UK music charts - The Moody Blues - Go Now.

◦January 28, 1965 The Who make their first appearance on British TV.

◦January 28, 1970 Lubom¡r Strougal succeeds Cernik as premier of Czechoslovakia.

◦January 28, 1973 """Barnaby Jones"" premieres on CBS TV".

◦January ...[text shortened]... the death of UN weapons inspector Dr. David Kelly."

http://www.datesinhistory.com/jan28.php[/b]
    O love watching M.A.S.H, its on after Startrek original series, which are about the only things on T.V. I can stomach.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 23:58
    9th February in Grateful Dead history...

Fox Theatre - St. Louis, MO
    The setlist for this show is unknown. Some say that this show did not happen and that it has been mixed up with 12/9/71.

====

Roscoe Maples Pavilion - Palo Alto, CA
    Set 1:
    Promised Land
    Row Jimmy
    Black Throated Wind
    Deal
    Me And My Uncle
    Sugaree
    Looks Like Rain
    Loose Lucy
    Mexicali Blues
    Brown-Eyed Women
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Playin' In The Band
    Set 2:
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Truckin'
    Eyes Of The World
    China Doll
    Big River
    Ramble On Rose
    Box Of Rain
    Wave That Flag
    Sugar Magnolia
    Uncle John's Band
    Around And Around
    Encore:
    Casey Jones

Lead Guitar: Jerry Garcia
    Rhythm Guitar: Bob Weir
    Bass: Phil Lesh
    Keyboards: Keith Godchaux
    Drums: Bill Kreutzmann
    Backup Vocals: Donna Godchaux

This show has long been a 'overlooked gem' favourite of mine and have treasured a crisp soundboard of it a taper gave me back in the 1980s.

1973 was such a great year for them.

====

Soldiers' And Sailors' Memorial Hall - Kansas City, KS
    Set 1:
    Promised Land
    Candyman
    Cassidy
    Tennessee Jed
    El Paso
    Jack-A-Roe
    Looks Like Rain
    Stagger Lee
    Passenger
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Set 2:
    Not Fade Away
    I Need A Miracle
    Bertha
    Good Lovin'
    From The Heart Of Me
    He's Gone
    Drums
    Truckin'
    Comes A Time
    Around And Around
    Encore:
    Shakedown Street

Keyboards: Keith Godchaux
    Drums: Mickey Hart
    Backup Vocals: Donna Godchaux

Only eight days later, Keith and Donna left the band and in came Brent.

====

Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center - Oakland, CA
    Set 1:
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    C.C. Rider
    Loser
    Man Smart-Woman Smarter
    Deal
    Set 2:
    The Mighty Quinn
    Samson And Delilah
    He's Gone
    Smokestack Lightning
    Comes A Time
    Drums
    The Other One
    Around And Around
    Good Lovin'
    Encore:
    Baby Blue

Keyboards: Brent Mydland
    Drums: Mickey Hart
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '15 06:49
    February 9

"On this day in 1964, the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time, as teenage girls screamed hysterically in the audience and 73 million people watched from home — a record for American television at the time. Their appearance on the show is considered the beginning of the "British Invasion" of music in the United States. The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show the following two Sundays in a row, as well. On this first time they sang "All My Loving," "Till There Was You," "She Loves You," "I Saw Her Standing There," and finally "I Want to Hold Your Hand" — which had just hit No. 1 on the charts."

"It was on this day in 1870 that the U.S. National Weather Service was established. At first it was called the Weather Bureau and it was part of the War Department because, it was said, "military discipline would probably secure the greatest promptness, regularity, and accuracy in the required observations." It became a civilian agency 20 years later, under the Department of Agriculture, and then was switched to the Commerce Department in 1940. These days, the National Weather Service is based out of Silver Spring, Maryland. It plays a very big role in making sure that American air travel is safe, providing up-to-minute weather updates to air traffic controller centers across the nation."
    http://writersalmanac.org/episodes/20150209/
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 08:50
    Wednesday, February 11

"It's the birthday of the man who gave us the phonograph, the light bulb, and the movie camera, among 1,097 patents: Thomas Alva Edison, born in Milan, Ohio (1847)." http://writersalmanac.org/episodes/20150211/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree