1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 12:38
    On this day 70 years ago Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Mountbatten were married.
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 15:43
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    On this day 70 years ago Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Mountbatten were married.
    🙂 The love of her life.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 18:57
    Originally posted by @torunn
    🙂 The love of her life.
    An arranged marriage.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 19:05
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    An arranged marriage.
    I don't think so at all, I think she was very much in love. However I think he was considered very suitable and was introduced to her for that reason.
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 19:58
    I don't think so at all, I think she was very much in love. However I think he was considered very suitable and was introduced to her for that reason.
    I think that a lot of their photographs show their level of devotion to one another, unlike those of Charles and Diana which showed her unhappiness in later years.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 20:06
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    I think that a lot of their photographs show their level of devotion to one another, unlike those of Charles and Diana which showed her unhappiness in later years.
    I agree, Drew - so unfortunate for both of them, mostly Diana of course. She was much too young to be put in that situation.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 23:16
    I agree, Drew - so unfortunate for both of them, mostly Diana of course. She was much too young to be put in that situation.
    Elizabeth II was 13 when she met Phillip, when she was 15 it was
    officially decided she should marry him. That's what I call too young!

Dianna was a moaning gold-digger.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 08:152 edits

Of the many documentaries I have watched:

Elisabeth fell in love wih Phillip when she was in her early teens and she was very happy marrying him when it was time.

I know what everyone else seems to know - Diana married a man who had an affair already which he didn't give up, that can never be excused.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 08:35
    She was chosen by Charles for one purpose and one purpose only, to birth heirs.

After that, she was tossed aside, even though she was arguably one of the more beautiful women in the world. Charles never loved her. He chose her for her beauty not because it moved him, but because it would create kids with acceptable looks, even given Charles' own dog face. And speaking of dog faces, he always loved only Camilla. They deserve each other. Diana was a perfect rose, that once picked, was cast aside and left to fend for herself. A shockingly short and unhappy life.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 09:49
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    She was chosen by Charles for one purpose and one purpose only, to birth heirs.

After that, she was tossed aside, even though she was arguably one of the more beautiful women in the world. Charles never loved her. He chose her for her beauty not because it moved him, but because it would create kids with acceptable looks, even given Charles' own dog f ...[text shortened]... once picked, was cast aside and left to fend for herself. A shockingly short and unhappy life.
    I am sure you are correct about Charles's motivation - and he is a victim here too - but Diana for sure knew what she was getting into.

By her own admission she go engaged after meeting him only 6 or 7 times.
    Would she have done that if he was a bank clerk?
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 09:52

Not to mention a serial cheater.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 09:58
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    She was chosen by Charles
    No, she wasn't. That was the main problem. He never wanted her, but was strong-armed into accepting her. She, on the other hand, was initially very happy to be royalty (remember her face on the telly on their wedding?) until she discovered that fooling around with soldiers and rugby players was even more fun.

But hey, the woman is always the victim and the man the perp, right?
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 10:001 edit
    I am sure you are correct about Charles's motivation - and he is a victim here too - but Diana for sure knew what she was getting into.

By her own admission she go engaged after meeting him only 6 or 7 times.
    Would she have done that if he was a bank clerk?
    Maybe not, but she was 20 when she married Charles, quite young and had lived a very protected life. I am convinced her feelings for Charles were sincere and I am sure she believed she was in love, and that she did what was expected of her. She believed she did the right thing as many young girls do. To go from there into that impossible situation where she ended up is just so sad.

And, may I add, least of all she expected her husband to have a mistress from the beginning of their marriage, which apparently was no secret to others.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 10:161 edit
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    No, she wasn't. That was the main problem. He never wanted her, but was strong-armed into accepting her. She, on the other hand, was initially very happy to be royalty (remember her face on the telly on their wedding?) until she discovered that fooling around with soldiers and rugby players was even more fun.

But hey, the woman is always the victim and the man the perp, right?
    They were both unfortunate but he was aware of the circumstances and she wasn't.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 11:08
    Maybe not, but she was 20 when she married Charles, quite young and had lived a very protected life. I am convinced her feelings for Charles were sincere and I am sure she believed she was in love, and that she did what was expected of her. She believed she did the right thing as many young girls do. To go from there into that impossible situation where she ...[text shortened]... have a mistress from the beginning of their marriage, which apparently was no secret to others.
    It would be exceptionally naïve for a woman of the eighties to not know that royals had mistresses. Phillip's indiscretions would be well known and Charles's love of Camilla was also not a secret.

Dianna never had the chance to know Charles and could not have loved him. It
    was a sham. Dianna knew it, her family knew it, the aristocracy knew it.

The "love story" was just an invention of the magazines around the world.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree