1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 13:43
    @ponderable said
    we had no meat (neither fish nor otherwise). We eat a kind of cake called "struven"
    munsterlander?
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 13:46
    @ponderable said
    we had no meat (neither fish nor otherwise). We eat a kind of cake called "struven"
    Soon after I retired I worked in a German friends community bakery on the Wirral making sourdough bread. His wife also made amazing traditional cakes at Xmas. I think he took up baking and brewing as a survival strategy after trying our bread and beer (although in fairness it has improved a lot since the days when he settled here)!
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 14:23
    @petewxyz said
    Soon after I retired I worked in a German friends community bakery on the Wirral making sourdough bread. His wife also made amazing traditional cakes at Xmas. I think he took up baking and brewing as a survival strategy after trying our bread and beer (although in fairness it has improved a lot since the days when he settled here)!
    I note Higsons Brewery has arisen. Is that one of those of which you refer?
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 14:48
    @great-big-stees said
    I note Higsons Brewery has arisen. Is that one of those of which you refer?
    Certainly a local brewery that's on the up. If I'm brutally honest though I don't think there is anything over here to compare to German beer. When I was a student I got a sport visa to cross into what was then Czechoslovakia to compete in a five day orienteering event. I never knew Pilsner was a Czech town. Anyway you could buy Pilsner beer for seven pence a litre. Impairs your running though.

Although we hitched most of the way we did the border crossing on a train as the east to west borders were pretty scary in those days. There is a way of carrying a gun that looks like you mean it! We had to change a minimum amount of currency for every day of the visit and it was forbidden to take it home. We didn't want to just give all the leftover cash to the government, but you just couldn't spend it. Superb four course meal in Prague only used up £4. In the end we stood earnestly contemplating the work of a guy selling his art by the main bridge and then gave him the lot for one painting. His reaction was priceless. Felt like a millionaire for a day, but totally skint hitching back through Germany and Belgium!
  5. Joined
    16 Oct '19
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 15:12
    @whodey said
    Does anyone know what time it is?

Does anyone even care?

Now that we have Covid, we are in a perpetual states of indifference and apathy just sitting around waiting for our political leaders to tell us it's safe to breath once again and resume our lives.

And to think, many thought their lives were already pathetic before Covid.

LOL.
    How sad for you. Maybe on this special weekend everyone in your situation can find some faith, love and inspiration.

It's a special day for a lot of people - a celebration of grace.

At the house of hope it will be Lasagna Bolognese and a bottle of Barbi Il Ruspo Sangiovese Umbria 2014. The same grape used in Chianti, but much softer.

Here we are thankful for our many blessings - in our own agnostic way :-)
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 17:341 edit
    @whodey said
    Does anyone know what time it is?

Does anyone even care?

Now that we have Covid, we are in a perpetual states of indifference and apathy just sitting around waiting for our political leaders to tell us it's safe to breath once again and resume our lives.

And to think, many thought their lives were already pathetic before Covid.

LOL.
    You sound like someone that has given up any hope.....Negative thinking is not healthy for you, just as 'goad' if you don't believe me!

EDIT: Have you thought about meditation?

-VR
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 19:12
    @very-rusty said
    You sound like someone that has given up any hope.....Negative thinking is not healthy for you, just as 'goad' if you don't believe me!

EDIT: Have you thought about meditation?

-VR
    Or medication.🤔
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 19:36
    @Great-Big-Stees

Life hasn't changed all for the bad. We are down to scratch and when a more normal life is visible, we can return to what was good and leave out what was bad. I'm sure some of us have learned to live more quietly with less activities, and for me personally some of the changes are good.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:00
    @torunn said
    @Great-Big-Stees

Life hasn't changed all for the bad. We are down to scratch and when a more normal life is visible, we can return to what was good and leave out what was bad. I'm sure some of us have learned to live more quietly with less activities, and for me personally some of the changes are good.
    I agree. I never thought that I could be as, relatively, inactive as I have become, were it not for the present situation. Maybe I needed an excuse. I am now able to actually use the word, “no” and not feel like I am not being kind.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:051 edit
    @petewxyz said
    Anybody else didn't notice what day it is?
    Very much so. Tonight I talked to one of my sisters on the phone, which was pleasant, and immediately afterward to a friend who’s husband is on a ventilator trying to survive COVID-19, which wasn’t. Her closing words were “if he goes I go”. Weeks seem to have alternative punctuations to the usual “days”.
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:17
    @great-big-stees said
    I agree. I never thought that I could be as, relatively, inactive as I have become, were it not for the present situation. Maybe I needed an excuse. I am now able to actually use the word, “no” and not feel like I am not being kind.
    A change of lifestyle. It could be an opportunity of making life better.
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:26
    @torunn said
    A change of lifestyle. It could be an opportunity of making life better.
    Life for me life generally is pretty good and I am happy with my lifestyle. Now a little tweaking is something Imam not averse to.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:34
    @divegeester said
    Very much so. Tonight I talked to one of my sisters on the phone, which was pleasant, and immediately afterward to a friend who’s husband is on a ventilator trying to survive COVID-19, which wasn’t. Her closing words were “if he goes I go”. Weeks seem to have alternative punctuations to the usual “days”.
    Difficult times. One of my daughters has a friend whose stepfather is on a ventilator. Enough people are close enough to the really bad situations that it makes it hard to remember that the majority should come through okay 🤞🤞🤞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree