1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 21:20
    On a flat Earth, there is an equator line.
    On a globe Earth there is also an equator line.
    On the flat Earth, if you fly around the equator, you ALWAYS have to keep turning.
    On the REAL Earth, you can fly above the equator forever if you have the fuel, without turning left or right, EVER.

End of argument. They lose and there is no counter for that one.
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 21:451 edit
    At a certain time, say, 6:10 am, the sun rises over New York city.
    But the *same sun* does not rise until 9:10 NYC time, in San Francisco

How can this be if the word is FLAT? It can't. The sun would have to rise at one
    universal time all over the planet

Point II. Midnight Baseball
    On June 21 every year, the summer solstice, a traditional game of baseball is
    started at midnight *under the sun* in Anchorage, Alaska. Meanwhile, in the
    same time zone and right to the south, in San Francisco, they are in total
    darkness and have been for 3 hours. How can this be if the earth is flat and
    everyone on earth sees the sun at all times that it is visible anywhere?

Flat earthers are friggin' GONE
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 22:16
    @earl-of-trumps said
    At a certain time, say, 6:10 am, the sun rises over New York city.
    But the *same sun* does not rise until 9:10 NYC time, in San Francisco

How can this be if the word is FLAT? It can't. The sun would have to rise at one
    universal time all over the planet

Point II. Midnight Baseball
    On June 21 every year, the summer solstice, a traditional game of baseball is
    ...[text shortened]... e on earth sees the sun at all times that it is visible anywhere?

Flat earthers are friggin' GONE
    On line communication gives you very little indication why people write the things they do. The virtual world lacks sufficient dimensions to be flat and the sun never illuminates it!
  4. Joined
    21 Jul '20
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 22:22
    the erth is not flat it is holow
  5. Joined
    21 Jul '20
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 22:28
    i red a book on it
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 22:39
    @spelchek said
    i red a book on it
    Every book I read is on Earth.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 22:45
    @sonhouse said
    On a flat Earth, there is an equator line.
    On a globe Earth there is also an equator line.
    On the flat Earth, if you fly around the equator, you ALWAYS have to keep turning.
    On the REAL Earth, you can fly above the equator forever if you have the fuel, without turning left or right, EVER.

End of argument. They lose and there is no counter for that one.
    So your argument against there being a flat earth is that a straight line is different on a sphere?
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 03:40
    @divegeester said
    So your argument against there being a flat earth is that a straight line is different on a sphere?
    The shortest distance between two points on a surface is called a geodesic. On a plane a geodesic is a line segment, in accord with the Euclidean geometry humans have known about for thousands of years. On a sphere a geodesic cannot be a line segment, as such a path would deviate from the sphere immediately.

A "triangle" on the surface of a sphere would consist of three geodesics as expected, but they would meet in such a way that the measures of the interior angles would add to more than 180 degrees. In fact the sum of the measures would vary depending on how large the "triangle" is, with bigger "triangles" having larger measures. This is an example of a non-Euclidean geometry. Relativity theory uses another kind of non-Euclidean geometry.

I'll shut up now.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 05:532 edits
    @soothfast said
    The shortest distance between two points on a surface is called a geodesic. On a plane a geodesic is a line segment, in accord with the Euclidean geometry humans have known about for thousands of years. On a sphere a geodesic cannot be a line segment, as such a path would deviate from the sphere immediately.

A "triangle" on the surface of a sphere would consist of thre ...[text shortened]... idean geometry. Relativity theory uses another kind of non-Euclidean geometry.

I'll shut up now.
    Yes I’m aware of the dynamics of lines on curved surfaces but thanks for showing off your maths training to me anyway.

How does the OP “bust” the flat earth argument when a flat earth believer doesn’t believe that the earth is a curved surface?
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 06:04
    @divegeester said

How does the OP “bust” the flat earth argument when a flat earth believer doesn’t believe that the earth is a curved surface?
    I don't know. Logically analyzing the illogic of pseudosciences and crank theories is not something I'm up to this weekend.
  11. Standard memberMammy Blue
    Delicious Monster...
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 06:21
    @sonhouse
    https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/who-drew-it-best-sky-art-with-an-airliner/

Take a look at this... off the topic, but interesting.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 07:16
    @soothfast said
    I don't know. Logically analyzing the illogic of pseudosciences and crank theories is not something I'm up to this weekend.
    Sonhouse often seems to have the perfect IT, political or social solutions in his head, but somehow they lose it on the way from there to his keyboard.

Like a great dream you had last night but struggle to describe over breakfast.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 16:27
    @divegeester said

Like a great dream you had last night but struggle to describe over breakfast.
    I've encountered the same frustrations trying to describe a mind-blowing shroom trip.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 17:01
    @soothfast said
    I've encountered the same frustrations trying to describe a mind-blowing shroom trip.
    Yeah your Friday evening posting was notable 😆
  15. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 17:05
    @soothfast said
    The shortest distance between two points on a surface
    you remind me of a teacher i still do not like some 50 years on

she was always right and i was always wrong

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree