1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '17 18:55
    http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/must_see/41437574/radio-1-at-50-but-where-is-it

I brought a small transistor radio ca 1970, to work, it works, but showing it to people, nobody knew what it was!
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Sep '17 19:05
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/must_see/41437574/radio-1-at-50-but-where-is-it

I brought a small transistor radio ca 1970, to work, it works, but showing it to people, nobody knew what it was!
    LOL....Reminds me, I saw a young couple sitting across from each other in a Tim's the other day texting each other!!! I know because after about 10 minutes one of them said directly to the other! You didn't actually do that did you....The person just text them back with the answer still didn't speak a word.....Yup no one even talks in person anymore it seems unless they have to.

-VR
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 13:231 edit
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    LOL....Reminds me, I saw a young couple sitting across from each other in a Tim's the other day texting each other!!! I know because after about 10 minutes one of them said directly to the other! You didn't actually do that did you....The person just text them back with the answer still didn't speak a word.....Yup no one even talks in person anymore it seems unless they have to.

-VR
    I can see it now, vocal chords atrophy and future humans evolve eliminating vocal chords and talking or singing, evolved out of the human race🙂

Hands, however, evolve to be able to move quickly and have small nubs on the ends to hit small letter boxes on smart phones. Extra brain circuits evolve to enable texting ten times faster than people can now.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 13:341 edit
    Originally posted by @very-rusty

-VR
    I have often observed several teenaged girls sitting on a bus or walking side-by-side, texting continuously, but not speaking with each other or even making eye contact. They think they are connected, with zillions of 'likes', but I see no real interaction going on among them, it's all virtual these days. It's weird what passes for friendship these days.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 13:582 edits
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    I have often observed several teenaged girls sitting on a bus or walking side-by-side, texting continuously, but not speaking with each other or even making eye contact. They think they are connected, with zillions of 'likes', but I see no real interaction going on among them, it's all virtual these days. It's weird what passes for friendship these days.
    I worked at a startup in South Plainfield NJ, starting in August, 2001. Early on our Phd's were working with labs at Rutgers. So one day I was sent to Rutgers to pick up some science work and I saw three guys walking together, each one on cell phones, not even looking at each other but clearly minds a thousand miles away. I thought, welcome to the 21st century🙂

Ten years later I was at an airport, two teenagers sitting opposite one another on facing benches texting each other, clearly since she would type something, he would giggle, he would type, she would giggle, and they were not 5 feet apart.

I think this is a transient phenomena though. I think technology will advance to the point where you would have bluetooth like gear embedded in the brain directly to speech, hearing, visual centers and so forth so it will be more like electronic telepathy and no typing needed.

The people with that gear on will still be disconnected from the immediate reality around them though just like texters today.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 14:051 edit
    Just wait. Soon enough they'll be walking side-by-side and wearing enhanced-reality goggles!

Edit:
    Dogs and farm animals are already electronically tagged with the owner's address and vaccination records. The technology exists to implant a chip under the skin of every human which could, by means of IPv6, link to a comprehensive database containing, for example, the person's name, address, medical records (allergies, medication prescriptions, family doctor's address, etc.), tax number, social security number, bank account number, automobile registration and driving record, basically anything the FBI or NSA could find out. This is way beyond biometric passports, and the technology is here now.

I'm not so sure about the telepathy aspect of it. I have read some articles claiming that quadriplegic patients had been tested with some kind of apparatus which executed simple commands issued by the patient merely thinking some unique string or other. I don't believe we are anywhere near being able to transmit a whole sentence via implanted telepathy-chips.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 14:12
    Originally posted by @sonhouse

Ten years later I was at an airport, two teenagers sitting opposite one another on facing benches texting each other, clearly since she would type something, he would giggle, he would type, she would giggle, and they were not 5 feet apart.
    I can see advantages to this. 1. Great for deaf people. 2. You can't get vd or herpes from a touch screen.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 16:31
    Just wait. Soon enough they'll be walking side-by-side and wearing enhanced-reality goggles!

Edit:
    Dogs and farm animals are already electronically tagged with the owner's address and vaccination records. The technology exists to implant a chip under the skin of every human which could, by means of IPv6, link to a comprehensive database containing, for ...[text shortened]... ieve we are anywhere near being able to transmit a whole sentence via implanted telepathy-chips.
    It is getting scary, actually:

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-are-another-step-closer-to-being-able-to-read-our-minds
  9. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 17:26
    I will volunteer to have a chess openings chip implanted. Please don't forget all the people that space aliens have already implanted ..(transmitters )
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 17:41
    I am still using double-deck cassette recorder... On flee markets I can still find new cassettes, made in Roumania and Buigaria in 1990's.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:13
    Do you still have floppy disks? I mean the big ones that were really flexible.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:35
    I do, but I can't retrieve any data from them.
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:58
    Do you still have floppy disks? I mean the big ones that were really flexible.
    TRS-80 from Radio shack lol
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:41
    Originally posted by @ogb
    TRS-80 from Radio shack lol
    I am WAY more advanced than that, I have a COMMODORE 64!
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 21:48
    I wish now I had not gotten rid of my Atari ST1024.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree