1. rebel city
    Moves
    07 Jun '14 21:50
    I want to produce this girl here in Ireland and Europe. I think this is a good start. This because my end ambition is to establish a personal songline link to my Brasil and I personally love Brazilian country music, having spent my childhood in Paraná state, close to Mato Grosso and Paraguay borders. 🙂

She is called Bruna Viola, just 21, plays the Brazilian viola sertaneja and is very talented.

My son thinks it is crazy but my heart say this is the open door to bring more Brazilian culture to Europe. Maybe I am crazy for sure but my need to extend my roots have no limits. 🙂

You comments will be most welcome:

YouTube

YouTube

Thanks.🙂
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jun '14 22:38
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    I want to produce this girl here in Ireland and Europe. I think this is a good start. This because my end ambition is to establish a personal songline link to my Brasil and I personally love Brazilian country music, having spent my childhood in Paraná state, close to Mato Grosso and Paraguay borders. 🙂

She is called Bruna Viola, just 21, plays t ...[text shortened]... /www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyfkHrTshL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSu3tngihFo

Thanks.🙂
    I'm a big fan of Latin music but it took me ages to "get into it"
    and I probably never would if I hadn't taken up dancing. And
    that's your big problem - getting people to adjust their ears
    to a new genre. We all like what we know, and know what we like.

Having said all that she looks like a great talent but it's too
    much "Country" for me. (At the moment! 😉 )
  3. rebel city
    Moves
    07 Jun '14 23:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I'm a big fan of Latin music but it took me ages to "get into it"
    and I probably never would if I hadn't taken up dancing. And
    that's your big problem - getting people to adjust their ears
    to a new genre. We all like what we know, and know what we like.

Having said all that she looks like a great talent but it's too
    much "Country" for me. (At the moment! 😉 )
    Thanks for your comments. Yes she is very country and as such, an acquired taste and/or a traditional one. Whatever, I think that with her charisma and her viola she can get her audience dancing whatever the age because of her swing.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 01:15

She is called Bruna Viola, just 21, plays t ...[text shortened]... /www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyfkHrTshL4

Thanks.🙂
    Because of the BRICS coalition, Brazil is on its way up anyways.

I expect Brazil to explode in world popularity after/during the World Cup.

Backing her now might just be awesome timing.
  5. rebel city
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 01:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Because of the BRICS coalition, Brazil is on its way up anyways.

I expect Brazil to explode in world popularity after/during the World Cup.

Backing her now might just be awesome timing.
    I think so too, specially because people know of samba, bossa nova, MPB (Brazilian popular music) but no one knows of Brazilian country music with the viola sertaneja, typical pagode rhythms that are very gay, happy, dancing tunes. 🙂
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 02:37
    The only press Brazil is receiving for the World Cup is negative. Furthermore, what does BRICS have to do with anything?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 04:084 edits

Thanks.🙂
    My daughter turned me on to her a few months ago! She is really talented for sure, beautiful also. The guitar she plays is a ten string like a 12 string guitar with one less row, I always wondered what the tuning of it is. On the second song you put out, the guitar, not sure what it is called, anyway it sounded a bit weak, like it wasn't miked well enough but her magnificent voice and energy comes through strong!

Wonder how long she has to wear those braces?

Have you ever heard Rodrigo Y Gabriela?

If you notice Gabriela's hands, her motions of percussive technique is very similar to Irish Bodhran playing, because she actually studied Bodhran and translated that to guitar!

Here they are on a spot on Jay Leno:

YouTube

Take a look at their playing

Leno says they now live in Ireland.

I found this one, no video, just audio, of two tunes, one by Metallica I think and the second one Take 5 and it is amazing, Paul Desmond (sax player) wrote it and Dave Brubeck made it a huge hit in 1959, back when I was in high school. Anyway in this piece Gabriela does a REALLY great percussive break that almost perfectly duplicated Joe Morello's original drum solo on that piece, which blew me away to hear that on a guitar!

BTW, I took piano lessons from Dave Brubecks brother Howard, at Palomar College where he taught till he died in 1994 and I met Dave there once.

Howard wrote a lot of music for Dave and Dave wrote a lot of music also.

I was infatuated with Howard's daughter Ginger, we had some classes together at Palomar. Sigh.

Anyway, Rodrigo Y Gabriela:

YouTube
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 04:40
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The only press Brazil is receiving for the World Cup is negative. Furthermore, what does BRICS have to do with anything?
    BRICS is the newest thing, man. Lots of countries want to join the bandwagon, too. Because of the heavy hitters China, India and maybe even Russia, I see Brazil and South Africa only benefiting from the coalition. It can only help the economy of Brazil, and with the World Cup coverage, Brazil will be on the short lists of countries looking for new trading partners.

You can either ride the tide of change or be left behind by it.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 04:59
    You can either ride the tide of change or be left behind by it.
    What affect has the BRICS thing had on music from those BRICS countries penetrating music markets in [1] other BRICS countries, and in [2] non-BRICS countries. Have the various kinds of music found in each of the BRICS countries been influencing or changing each other? e.g. has Russian music influenced, say, Brazilian music since 2006 when the acronym BRIC was first coined?
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 05:35
    Christ on a crutch 😞
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 05:38

Thanks.🙂
    Very enjoyable
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 08:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    What affect has the BRICS thing had on music from those BRICS countries penetrating music markets in [1] other BRICS countries, and in [2] non-BRICS countries. Have the various kinds of music found in each of the BRICS countries been influencing or changing each other? e.g. has Russian music influenced, say, Brazilian music since 2006 when the acronym BRIC was first coined?
    It's not just music, it's the whole economy of these countries, and music is just a part of that.

Geez, some dense folks here I see.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 08:45
    It's not just music, it's the whole economy of these countries, and music is just a part of that.
    How has the BRICS thing created a "tide of change" in music in your view?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 08:551 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    How has the BRICS thing created a "tide of change" in music in your view?
    I'll ONLY say this once more.

It's not JUST music, it's the ENTIRE economy of these countries.

If you can't see how that would improve the music industry in these countries, then I can't help you.

Stop trolling me. Go back to Spirituality, where your 'stick-in-the-mud' methods of gumming up the conversation fit the clientele there.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '14 09:011 edit
    I'll ONLY say this once more.

It's not JUST music, it's the ENTIRE economy of these countries.

If you can't see how that would improve the music industry in these countries, then I can't help you.
    I know all about the economies of BRICS. I live in a country that many commentators are now adding to the list when they talk about energing economies with big markets. I can see how this can affect the music industry, but I am curious as to how you think it has or can "improve the music industry in these countries" or what any of this has to do with Bruna Viola.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree