1. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 15:04
    anyone willing to confess to having one?
    I don't
    physics or mathematics would be impressive
    as would any field of study for that matter
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 16:121 edit
    🙂 You will never believe this but I dozed all last night drifting in and out of these lectures by the Oxford University. Anything like this helps to stop me from waking up and thinking about the crazy, rubbish that the mind can churn up in the middle of the night.

YouTube

No PhD alas.....yet!
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 16:31
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    🙂 You will never believe this but I dozed all last night drifting in and out of these lectures by the Oxford University. Anything like this helps to stop me from waking up and thinking about the crazy, rubbish that the mind can churn up in the middle of the night.

https://youtu.be/uy8UGPxpCGs

No PhD alas.....yet!
    I believe you
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 17:18
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    I believe you
    Closest I come is my son in law, Gandhi, Phd in "Statistical physics' which used to be called Biophysics. My daughter, Gandhi's wife, is working on her Phd in music, got her Ba from Berklee in Boston, MA from Wesleyan in Conn. They both teach their subjects at Federal University in Natal Brazil so she had to learn portuguese for starters, now learning Greek because part of her thesis will be composing a Greek opera in Greek. Also learning Irish Gaelic and writing an opera to be sung in that language also.
    Me, I had great teachers, Palomar College, music teach was Howard brubeck, brother of Dave Brubeck (Take 5). Never got a Phd though.
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 18:26
    I've read many of your posts on the science forum
    very impressive
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 17:081 edit
    very impressive
    Thanks! I have gotten into a composing frenzy of late, surprising me for sure! I have a few tracks on myspace and reverbnation but they don't allow free uploads of more than a few tracks, pay money after that. One site I found, Soundcloud, allows 3 hours of uploads, which I have just used up, 62 tracks there, mostly acoustic guitar fingerpicking compositions and mandolin and lap dulcimer and some songs from my wife and friends on stage in Jerusalem and recordings in our flat there. Back in the US now, in Pennsylvania and it is only in the past year I have started composing so many tracks. One thing making that more convenient is a little micro recorder from Tascam (and others, but mine is a Tascam Dr-44WL. A really impressive recorder, 4 tracks, 2 built in mic's, 2 XLR input plugs for external mics, built in mic preamps, recording at CD level, 44.1 K/16 bit and 96K/24 bit levels, much better than CD level and the size of a 1970's transistor radio. I wish I had one of those jewels 40 years ago🙂 Only had reel to reels in those days, back when I had my band Southwind back in Venice Beach Calif.
    Using the DR44 almost exclusively for my SC tracks, when you have tracks ready to upload, you just plug in the mini USB port and to a PC or laptop and I use Audacity to do touch up stuff, maybe reverb, level adjustments, clipping beginnings and endings, and then uploading to Soundcloud. Couldn't be simpler. I am amazed at the incredible technology involved.
  7. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 17:31
    very impressive
    I agree. sonhouse expresses more education in his posts than I've expressed in my lifetime!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 18:03
    Originally posted by @john-osmar
    I agree. sonhouse expresses more education in his posts than I've expressed in my lifetime!
    I never stopped learning, read a lot of Sci fi and go to a lot of science sites. My particular passion was and is gravitational lensing, especially as it relates to our sun and other stars.

I worked out a formula given only mass and radius entered to give the focal point of incoming radiation from a distant source, like Sirius, it is well known such light starts a focus about 80 billion Km past the sun from light coming from those distant sources. One thing I figured out, there is a beginning to that focus, 80 or so billion Km out but an end also, and roughly the distance from the source to the sun, so Sirius would cast a focal line 8 light years long and Alpha Centauri, 4 light years long.

I am trying to figure out how to put that in a drawing for a book about it, it seems to me a breathtaking view of energy distribution in the galaxy or in our neighborhood anyway. Light beams shooting off every star including the sun WAY past the solar system so if you were a god able to view such spikes you would see a vast energy line going off every star in the galaxy.

I did post those ideas in science and got shot down, my formula was about 2 years too late to be called original, but I think my vision of the energy spikes beginning and ending is original, anyway that is what I have been doing for a long time about gravitational lenses.
  9. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    15 Oct '17 14:03
    I don't
    No need for all that schooling..the Akashic records are there to be tapped !! I met Dave Brubeck several time at the University of the Pacific ..We didnt have Uber then, so I took the A Train..
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Oct '17 16:26
    Originally posted by @ogb
    No need for all that schooling..the Akashic records are there to be tapped !! I met Dave Brubeck several time at the University of the Pacific ..We didnt have Uber then, so I took the A Train..
    Nyuk Nyuk! I was infatuated with dave's niece Ginger, Howard's daughter, we had several classes together. Tall, lithe, beautiful, but I was afraid of a commoner like me approaching royalty like her. I found out she actually liked me, a bit too late🙂 Often wonder what became of her, I suspect she is not a Brubeck anymore probably Rosenthal with 4 kids and 3 grandkids by now.....
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 06:042 edits
    Foreman on a construction site bellows at the new recruits: "Any a you lunkheads been ta college?" One guy raises his hand sheepishly. "Well," the foreman bellows, "Today ya gits yer PhD!" Foreman hands him a post hole digger.

Seriously, my wife's a PhD, doctor med., with three board certifications in radiology, neuro-radiology, and paediatric neuro-radiology. Brain scan stuff, Earth-bound rocket science.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 15:211 edit
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Foreman on a construction site bellows at the new recruits: "Any a you lunkheads been ta college?" One guy raises his hand sheepishly. "Well," the foreman bellows, "Today ya gits yer PhD!" Foreman hands him a post hole digger.

Seriously, my wife's a PhD, doctor med., with three board certifications in radiology, neuro-radiology, and paediatric neuro-radiology. Brain scan stuff, Earth-bound rocket science.
    Nice! But I thought it was BS= Bullshyte, MS=more of the same, Phd, Piled higher and drier🙂

Carl Sandburg said a woman should get an MA.

Then get another MA and she will be MAMA.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 19:02
    I don't
    I have one.
  14. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 20:49
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I have one.
    nice
    I'm sure it wasn't chess related
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 19:56
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I have one.
    What is your field? My son in law has Phd in Statistical physics, formerly bio physics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree