1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 00:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Would that be the same as 'Fat Fingers' (which my son recently scolded
    me about, even though I didn't quite understand his meaning)?
    220 Kelvin needs a very special oven.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 01:42
    Originally posted by JS357

220 Kelvin needs a very special oven.
    Hey, JS, wouldn't a Guy as Heavy as 220 Kelvin have the sensors to keep his 'Fat Fingers'
    out of those Special Variable Temperature Ovens with their Magnetron? Power Supplies?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 05:061 edit
    Hey, JS, wouldn't a Guy as Heavy as 220 Kelvin have the sensors to keep his 'Fat Fingers'
    out of those Special Variable Temperature Ovens with their Magnetron? Power Supplies?
    The new format is not good. My immediate reaction is not dense enuf.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 06:51
    The new format is not good. My immediate reaction is not dense enuf.
    My chessmen (and queen) have taken leave of the scene!
  5. Virginia, USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:01
    What causes the little cursor >|< to become jumpy at odd moments and well behaved most of the time?
    Hair stuck to the LED
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:24
    Originally posted by Kenworth18
    Hair stuck to the LED
    Where's the "LED" located and how should it be cleaned?
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:42
    Where's the "LED" located and how should it be cleaned?
    Don't know but when you find it I'd do it carefully with warm water and a mild dish soap... oh wait water+electricity...forget what I just said, sorry.😳
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 14:083 edits
    Important Information!!

Here's how I finally found the Correct Browser Compatibility Icon to Click:

This Rectangular Box appears at the upper far left of your screen (just above the X Google). From Left to Right on mine: a) Large Circle contains a left pointing arrow [<]; b) Small Circle, with a right pointing arrow [>]; c) Then the longer line of wording and symbols/icons you'll need*: http://redhotpawn.com | Magnifying glass with its handle lower left; then an upside down ^ or v; then, finally a box with its upper right hand corner cut off. Lightly Place your cursor on this box and the following wording will appear: "Compatibility View: websites designed for older browsers will often look better, and problems such as out-of-place menus, images or text will be corrected". Then, one clockwise arrow followed by the letter X|

Finally, click once on the "box with its upper right hand corner cut off" and within moments you should be Home Free. If I can do this thing (believe me) anybody on this planet can get the same favorable result. Please See the Help Forum for Official Information and Directions.

Let's hope we all will enjoy our games and favorite forums even more, now, than we have in the past. Your move! (gb)
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 May '13 17:19
    [b]"Please Read This Thread Before Posting Today"

Friendly RHP Members are available to answer your questions
    on any and all legally acceptable topics each day during waking hours.
    First Question Comes from a Dyed in The Wool Thread Killer:

"What Steps Must be Taken to Reform?" (Signed, Anon/07)
    1)[/b]
    First of all some threads have to be made sticky.

These threads should be heavily moderated, to ensure quality.

People should have the option to colourcode posters. This would be great if that could be displayed for all to see πŸ™‚
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '13 17:31
    How do you expect anyone to understand this if you don't specify Centigrade or Fahrenheit?
    Could have been Rankin too.... I didn't even have to consult the Rankin fileπŸ™‚
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 May '13 18:102 edits
    There's Lot's of Nostalgia Going Around Here on RHP this Week. Found an interesting "Psychology Today" Article which concludes it's both normal and beneficial. Here's the entire article for you to ponder and comment on:

"Nostalgia: Sweet Remembrance"

"For Proust it was a bite of a buttery madeleine; for some, it's the taste of a gooey Mallomar. And for you, it might be a few notes of "Yellow Submarine" or the sight of a little girl stacking Legos that catapults your mind decades into the past. Under the right conditions, the tiniest trigger can unleash a flood of sunny memories in even the least sentimental among us. Such reminiscence can be healthier than you think. Despite nostalgia's bittersweet rap and the oft-heard advice to live in the moment, studies suggest that the occasional detour down memory lane can give your spirits a significant lift. Thinking of good memories for just 20 minutes a day can make people more cheerful than they were the week before, and happier than if they think of their current lives, report researchers from Loyola University.

Most people spontaneously reminisce when they're alone or feeling down—or both—which suggests that we reach for pleasant memories as an antidote to feeling blue, says Loyola psychologist Fred Bryant. Think of a new arrival to a big city who remembers good times with friends back home. Or a premed struggling with college chemistry who bolsters his confidence with memories of high school triumph. "Reminiscence can motivate you," says Bryant. More important, it can give you "a sense of being rooted, a sense of meaning and purpose—instead of being blown around by the whims of everyday life." Researchers at the University of Southampton in the U.K. have also found nostalgia to be a potent mood booster. Since memories often star important people in our lives, they may give us a comforting sense of belonging. According to studies by psychologist Tim Wildschut and colleagues, people who write about a nostalgic event are more cheerful after the exercise compared with people who write about an everyday experience. The studies also show that people who write about good memories report higher self-esteem and feel more positively about friendships and close relationships.

Wildschut adds that people who are disposed to experience nostalgia also tend to see their past as positive, adding support to the idea of a nostalgia-prone personality. Previous research has shown that naturally nostalgic people have high self-esteem and are less prone to depression. They cope with problems more effectively and are more likely than not to receive social support after experiencing stress. Not surprisingly, these well-rooted folks also see their families more often. But even people who aren't particularly nostalgic can enjoy the benefits of recalling the good old days. For best results, research suggests reminiscing in your head rather than on paper. When Sonja Lyubomirsky, a psychologist at the University of California at Riverside asked participants to either write or think about their happiest life experience, she found that those who replayed their happiest moments in their heads later experienced greater well-being than the writing group. Interestingly, a large body of research, including Lyubomirsky's, shows that just the opposite happens when people process unpleasant life events: Ruminating about them retraumatizes you, whereas analyzing them through writing helps you get past the trauma.

But this dichotomy makes sense, since "you don't want to get past a positive experience," explains Lyubomirsky. On the contrary, she says, "There's a magic and mystery in positive events," so analyzing them lifts the veil and makes wondrous events more ordinary. For some people, reminiscing about good times can trigger painful emotions. Recalling a career triumph can make you feel like a has-been, and thinking back to cozy weekends with grandma might be a poignant reminder that she's gone. But it needn't be that way. "It's what you focus on," says Lyubomirsky. "Do you focus on how positive it was then, or that it's over now?"

People who see each good experience as permanently enriching are more likely to get a mood boost. But a person who mainly focuses on the contrast between past and present damns every good experience with the attitude that nothing in the future can ever live up to it. To avoid dwelling on this contrast, Bryant recommends connecting the past with the present. As you think about your current job or family, for example, recalling your younger self who once dreamt of this future can enhance your outlook on the life you have now. "Recalled anticipation spices the moment," he says. Certainly, you can overdo reminiscence—"when there's no joy in the moment except by resurrecting the past," says Bryant. He suggests a better approach to the passage of time: using positive reminiscence as part of a cycle that also includes savoring the present and looking forward to the future." (Marina Krakovsky, Published on May 01, 2006 - last reviewed on December 28, 2011)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200605/nostalgia-sweet-remembrance
  12. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    02 May '13 20:55
    Thank you!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree