1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 08:57
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    1) some evangelical yahoo will claim in 2016 that Jesus is coming back in 2016.

2) but he won't.

3) but they'll do the same in 2017.

4) and this will continue as a loop for many iterations.
    But Jesus himself foretold this phenomenon in Matthew.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 09:001 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I might buy "minority". Sizable, not so much.
    I read somewhere recently that he is disliked by about 70% of Republicans. He's a ubiquitous target of hate on countless far right attack-Obama type blogs and web sites. I reckon there's not a problem attaching the word "sizable" to the words "angry majority".
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 09:01
    But Jesus himself foretold this phenomenon in Matthew.
    I have every faith that Ponderable will evaluate Jesus' prediction with impeccable fairness.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 09:14
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I am well Aware there was a thread in summer, but now would be the time for a new round.

In fact I am tempted to offer a prize for the Person predicting most efficiently. The prize will be a RHP Coffee mug delivered to the winner.

Rules:
    At least two predictions.
    The Person with the highest percentage of hits with non-trivial PRE-dictions wins.
    The actual number of succesful predictions will be deciding at same percentage.
    1. Russ will announce new site features and enhancements before June, 2016.

2. Terrorist attacks frequency and magnitude will increase dramatically, especially the United States, and will intensify as the year unfolds..

Note: Well timed and potentially interesting thread. Thanks.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 12:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have every faith that Ponderable will evaluate Jesus' prediction with impeccable fairness.
    In fact my understanding was that nobody would know the date of the return. So the prediction of Jesus wouldn't count as a valid prediction for 2016 (and in fact it is highly in doubt that he would reveal the date to some person to distribute via the Internet, so probably the trivial prediction is whoever earnestly proposes a date invalidates this date by the püroposal).

If Jesus will return 2016 I am not sure if I am still in the position to evaluate anything in this thread, but this probably belongs to the Spirituality forum.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 12:53
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    If Jesus will return 2016 I am not sure if I am still in the position to evaluate anything in this thread, but this probably belongs to the Spirituality forum.
    Your meticulous approach to this whole task possibly belongs on the Science Forum. 😉
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 12:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I read somewhere recently that he is disliked by about 70% of Republicans. He's a ubiquitous target of hate on countless far right attack-Obama type blogs and web sites. I reckon there's not a problem attaching the word "sizable" to the words "angry majority".
    Ok, wait. We are talking about Jimmy Carter, right? The 39th President of the United States? The man who has spent most of his life after the presidency building homes for homeless and disadvantaged people rather than making untold millions by giving speeches? The man who, when news came out about his brain cancer, was inundated with letters from well-wishers and who, when his cancer was found to be in remission, garnered sighs of relief from millions?

I'm sorry but even 70% of Republicans seems too many. "Angry" also seems to be rather overstating it. How can people still be angry over a Democrat who had what is widely regarded as a failed Presidency, lo, these 35 years after he left office? He is the main reason why Ronald Reagan, whom many of these Republicans consider to be a god, was able to get to the White House in the first place. I simply find it near unbelievable that Jimmy Carter could be "hated" by so many even today.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 12:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have to point out that I was speaking more to BDP's evaluation of the "false prophets", and not of Jesus' return.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 13:01
    Ok, wait. We are talking about Jimmy Carter, right? The 39th President of the United States? The man who has spent most of his life after the presidency building homes for homeless and disadvantaged people rather than making untold millions by giving speeches? The man who, when news came out about his brain cancer, was inundated with letters from well-w ...[text shortened]... e. I simply find it near unbelievable that Jimmy Carter could be "hated" by so many even today.
    There are perhaps a range of reasons and transgressions on his part but a key one has been his trenchant criticism of Israel which has a lot of Americans on the right in an angry and unforgiving mood. I think I have good reason to predict that he will remain unloved and even despised by a sizable minority of Americans when he passes away.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 13:01
    I have to point out that I was speaking more to BDP's evaluation of the "false prophets", and not of Jesus' return.
    It was said in jest. No need to fly off the handle. 😉
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 13:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    There are perhaps a range of reasons and transgressions on his part but a key one has been his trenchant criticism of Israel which has a lot of Americans on the right in an angry and unforgiving mood. I think I have good reason to predict that he will remain unloved and even despised by a sizable minority of Americans when he passes away.
    This is regrettable.

Many young people in America could do much worse than to emulate him. He's one of my personal heroes.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 13:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    It was said in jest. No need to fly off the handle. 😉
    Very funny, there's hope for you yet. 🙂
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 13:17
    This is regrettable.

Many young people in America could do much worse than to emulate him. He's one of my personal heroes.
    His military adventures (by proxy) in South America aside, I have a lot of admiration for the man. His term in office was sabotaged by a nose-diving world economy and oil prices he had no control over. I would say about 2-3 out of 10 American tourists I run into, and have a few beers with from time to time (I live in a tourist city), loathe him, and about 4-5 out of 10 loathe Barack Obama.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 13:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    His military adventures (by proxy) in South America aside, I have a lot of admiration for the man. His term in office was sabotaged by a nose-diving world economy and oil prices he had no control over. I would say about 2-3 out of 10 American tourists I run into, and have a few beers with from time to time (I live in a tourist city), loathe him, and about 4-5 out of 10 loathe Barack Obama.
    I like Barack Obama too.

Yeah, I know. Both of these admissions might get me spit on in any bar in Arizona, where I live. The state is very conservative.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 14:22
    I like Barack Obama too.

Yeah, I know. Both of these admissions might get me spit on in any bar in Arizona, where I live. The state is very conservative.
    You want conservative? Live where I live in southwestern Ontario (Canadian province, not Californian city). It's soooo conservative the grass is even "blue".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree