1. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 19:08
    Long before I ran out of money for holiday gifts this year, I contemplated the tradition of gifting. What does it mean to give a gift? I reviewed an essay by Ralph Waldo Emerson, that I had read years ago. Emerson states that the only true gifts we can give are those which come from ourselves...

Then, as university students are wont to do, I ran out of money about a month before Christmas. I realized that the only thing I had to give was that gift of self of which Emerson spoke...but how wasI going to give of myself to my grandchildren who live over a thousand miles away? I lament frequently about missing them and not being able to watch them grow...and then it occurred to me that my daughters both keep me "in the loop" through the magic of technology...videos, texts, FaceTime, Skype, and YouTube...

So I rummaged through my children's books, took a trip to the library, and set up my iPad camera...The the following is one of several recordings that resulted:

YouTube

This was just one notion in a sea of ideas in giving presence instead of presents. I would love to read what others here do beyond the commercialization that the holidays see to have become.

Happy Holidays!
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 22:05
    Originally posted by hakima
    Long before I ran out of money for holiday gifts this year, I contemplated the tradition of gifting. What does it mean to give a gift? I reviewed an essay by Ralph Waldo Emerson, that I had read years ago. Emerson states that the only true gifts we can give are those which come from ourselves...

Then, as university students are wont to do, I ran out of mon ...[text shortened]... rs here do beyond the commercialization that the holidays see to have become.

Happy Holidays!
    A lovely idea indeed Hakima and one that rings a bell. Next time we go to Cuba we will be on the lookout for that wonderful wee beastie. Perhaps in the near future you too will be able to make that trip along with your granddaughter.
  3. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 22:15
    Originally posted by hakima

Then, as university students are wont to do, I ran out of mon ...[text shortened]... rs here do beyond the commercialization that the holidays see to have become.

Happy Holidays!
    Wonderful.
    My family are all greedy sh&ts who crave apple products ,
    and or handbags and shoes. The girls are even worse.

NAY.I have put a fiver in their card and told them happy crimbo
  4. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    23 Dec '14 21:07
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    Wonderful.
    My family are all greedy sh&ts who crave apple products ,
    and or handbags and shoes. The girls are even worse.

NAY.I have put a fiver in their card and told them happy crimbo
    I told my family that when I get my new specs I will see them all right.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '15 02:06
    Good show.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree