General Forum

General Forum

queueing

SubscriberPonderable
General 02 Oct '17 05:40
  1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    525842
    02 Oct '17 05:40
    an art or shall we say a soon to be lost art.
    I am at a conference right now. People queued for getting at drinks. A group of students marked by the their Georgia Tech t-shirts go in front of the table, aksed about queueing they tell us that they are forming a queue, just a new one...
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    02 Oct '17 07:38
    Apparently, queues would move faster if the person at the back of the queue is served first.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31606
    02 Oct '17 13:19
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    an art or shall we say a soon to be lost art.
    I am at a conference right now. People queued for getting at drinks. A group of students marked by the their Georgia Tech t-shirts go in front of the table, aksed about queueing they tell us that they are forming a queue, just a new one...
    Apparently (and quite irrelevantly), the average time that a British person is prepared to queue is six minutes, after that, on average, they give up and do something else.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    02 Oct '17 14:48
    People with entitlement issues do ruin the whole civilized queuing thing.

    Btw instead of a line in front of each register (or dispenser or whatever) it is more efficient to have just one queue that feeds them all.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    10559
    02 Oct '17 15:05
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    Apparently (and quite irrelevantly), the average time that a British person is prepared to queue is six minutes, after that, on average, they give up and do something else.
    I will invariably queue for 12 minutes and 27 seconds. (But not a moment longer).

    I may also invite someone to go in front of me, if they only have a couple of items, but don't like it when they ask to do so.
  6. Joined
    07 Aug '12
    Moves
    38782
    02 Oct '17 20:01
    Queues on the sliproads to dual carriageways drive me nuts. It's possible for everyone to join the main carriageway fairly quickly without undue congestion until certain impatient drivers whiz by to form a second queue which messes the whole thing up completely.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    322071
    03 Oct '17 03:37
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Queues on the sliproads to dual carriageways drive me nuts. It's possible for everyone to join the main carriageway fairly quickly without undue congestion until certain impatient drivers whiz by to form a second queue which messes the whole thing up completely.
    Our freeway on-ramps have acquired traffic lights, which allow cars through just 2 at a time (and they're side-by-side lines with no shoulders so queue-jumpers can't happen). Freeways still come to a dead stop at peak hour though. 🙁
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31606
    03 Oct '17 05:01
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I will invariably queue for 12 minutes and 27 seconds. (But not a moment longer).

    I may also invite someone to go in front of me, if they only have a couple of items, but don't like it when they ask to do so.
    Congratulations; you are slightly over twice as patient as the average Brit.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    10559
    03 Oct '17 19:15
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    Congratulations; you are slightly over twice as patient as the average Brit.
    And yet drink half the tea expected of a chap living in Blighty. (8 cups a day).

    Swings and roundabouts.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    525842
    04 Oct '17 18:00
    Just to be fair queueing has much improved at the conference. But then I didn't see those guys again, maybe they rather went partying than sciencying 😉
Back to Top