1. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 20:57
    I noticed again that razor blades that travel with me by plane, last much longer than ones that never flew.

And I remembered of what I had read in "popular magazines" during seventies.
    You know, Erich von Däniken, visits from aliens, secrets of the pyramids.

This thing with razor blades reminded me on it...
    I had read once that pyramids have magic number - if you make a a maquette of pyramid in smaller scale (but with preserved geometric ratio) as a kind of Indian wigwam, or a tent, and if you keep your razor blades in it, they will be sharpened over night.

And if you live in this "tent" you will feel your health improved. So I had read.

And there was a terrible story of supersonic planes - how the passengers are exposed to cosmic x-rays, that may damage memory (it was before altzheimer was discovered, I think), but that those rays can sharpen razor blades.

I still didn't force myself to make a maquette of a pyramid, but I flew frequently in past couple of years.

I am losing memory and my razor blades from travels last longer than the others.

And Däniken claimed, that old civilisation had nuclear plants which he was proving that with a picture curved in a stone: two almost naked men was bearing a bucket of water with the help of a stick. he said:: this water was heavy water, otherwise one man would have been enough. hence - they were carrying heavy water for a nuclear plant.

And even than they were talking about climate changes...
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 04:54
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I noticed again that razor blades that travel with me by plane, last much longer than ones that never flew.

And I remembered of what I had read in "popular magazines" during seventies.
    You know, Erich von Däniken, visits from aliens, secrets of the pyramids.

This thing with razor blades reminded me on it...
    I had read once that pyramids have ma ...[text shortened]... ing heavy water for a nuclear plant.

And even than they were talking about climate changes...
    I was a young kid when COTG came out. I read it and anything like that I could get my hands on. Since then much of Daniken's theories have been disproven, the evidences were hoaxes.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 04:58
    Also, razor blades, Old fashioned idea was to keep them in mineral oil to stay sharp. Yeah back in 1950 when safety razor blades were carbon steel. It kept the edge from rusting. Today's blades are stainless, oil has no effect per se.
  4. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 05:56
    Objects age slower the faster they travel.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 12:09
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    Objects age slower the faster they travel.
    But not at terrestrial speeds.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 19:31
    Originally posted by moonbus
    In my experience everything works in direct proportion.

"Age does not dull an edge. Use dulls an edge."- Butcher
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 20:00
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    In my experience everything works in direct proportion.

"Age does not dull an edge. Use dulls an edge."- Butcher
    "A tap doesn't drip, it softly weeps." - Plumber
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 21:53
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    "A tap doesn't drip, it softly weeps." - Plumber
    Sweat is fat cells crying. - my fitness trainer
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 10:21
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I was a young kid when COTG came out. I read it and anything like that I could get my hands on. Since then much of Daniken's theories have been disproven, the evidences were hoaxes.
    http://www.messagetoeagle.com/interviewdaniken.php#.VXqyCVKupgA

Still, there is something undeniable charming [I had to open dictionaries to check these words] in Dänikens's thesis and whole show, it's a spirit of middle-class obsession with "popular articles" with a kind of East European naivity.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 10:22
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Also at terrestrial speeds but not noticeable. People who drive fast cars would live longer but maybe 2 days longer. Except that they often get killed in a car crash earlier.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 11:50
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Also at terrestrial speeds but not noticeable. People who drive fast cars would live longer but maybe 2 days longer.
    More like two seconds.

As for razor blades: proof, please. For now I find the theory that you shave less on holidays more believable.
  12. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 15:06
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    More like two seconds.

As for razor blades: proof, please. For now I find the theory that you shave less on holidays more believable.
    I never shave being a Badger
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 16:49
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    More like two seconds.

Not even that. More like a few microseconds. Get close to c and it is a different story, like going 0.9c you will live about 2 1/2 times longer, also takes about 2 years to get to Alpha Centauri instead of 4.3 years at the speed of light. Of course if you do that trip and turn around and come back, you will be about 5 years younger than your twin brother because to EARTHLINGS you still took like 9 years round trip to Alpha Centauri.

You effectively, as the passenger on the spacecraft going 0.9c, are traveling in time as well as space.

0.99C and now you get places 7 times faster so if you go to say, Sirius, 8 light years away, you get there in a bit over a year, spend a month or two there, turn around and come back, you find your twin brother is now about 16 years older, you have gone about 14 years in the future of Earth. YOU think the trip only took a year but in reality, only your time flow sped up and it seems to you you are going 7 times the speed of light. But people tracking the spacecraft, say with a powerful radar, will see you never went faster than light, but time sped up for you and so you on your own clock are going 7 times the speed of light.
  14. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 19:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But people tracking the spacecraft, say with a powerful radar, will see you never went faster than light, but time sped up for you and so you on your own clock are going 7 times the speed of light.
    Is this actually possible? I would assume the radar is also limited to the speed of light, and therefore a more or less 'real-time' tracking would be impossible.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 19:271 edit
    Originally posted by tvochess
    Is this actually possible? I would assume the radar is also limited to the speed of light, and therefore a more or less 'real-time' tracking would be impossible.
    Theoretically possible. Remember, no matter how powerful a rocket is, it will NEVER get to the speed of light. What DOES happen is communications becomes less and less data intensive so if you are at say 0.9999999 c, then communications would be more or less in morse code. But you would be alive for a 500 light year trip out in space. Of course, coming back, you would find yourself 1000 years in EARTH'S future but only say 10 years for you, your whole family line would be long gone, much less your twin brother. But a sufficiently powerful radar would still be able to track that craft as it leaves Earth, especially if that craft had a transponder or just a one way laser with data on it. the light leaving the craft will still be headed to Earth at the speed of light but due to tricks with the flow of time, you on the spaceship would think the laser is going say, twice the speed of light but that would just be a trick of the flow of time. If the light were to start shooting backwards from the spaceship headed to Earth and you were 100 light years away ATT, the laser signal start beam would end up on Earth 100 years later. To you on the ship, you might already be at your destination 500 light years away ATT.

It's all a weird trick with the flow of time. It's like when you go faster and faster, you are basically running into another dimension, the dimension of time, and you will also look like a pancake because the closer you get to c, the shorter you and your vessel will be so close enough to c you would look like a sheet of paper...

If you ever heard of the book Flatland,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

That's what you would be, basically being converted into a two dimensional being.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree