1. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 15:41
    First of all I'm not suggesting that people be forced to use their real name I was just wondering what are your thoughts on using your real name versus using a nickname. I think it would make it easier to search for people that you know. Of course I realize that many of the players here might be children so using their real names wouldn't be appropriate. I'm basically addressing this to the adults.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 15:45
    Originally posted by rickgarel
    First of all I'm not suggesting that people be forced to use their real name I was just wondering what are your thoughts on using your real name versus using a nickname. I think it would make it easier to search for people that you know. Of course I realize that many of the players here might be children so using their real names wouldn't be appropriate. I'm basically addressing this to the adults.
    I just did a cursory one-minute search of you in google and found out a lot about your personal life.

That's why.
  3. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 15:50
    Well if I had anything to hide I might be worried but since I don't I'm not. I wouldn't post anything on the Internet that was sensitive.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 15:543 edits
    Well if I had anything to hide I might be worried but since I don't I'm not. I wouldn't post anything on the Internet that was sensitive.
    Good for you.

I'm just giving my thoughts on why people wouldn't want to use their real name. Some people consider their phone number, address, wife's name and place of employment all sensitive information. I know I do.

If it's really about searching for people you already know, there may be a more reasonable and recommendable solution than using your real name as your handle, in my opinion.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 15:581 edit
    The internet is a lot like driving on the 401, Rick. You can be the best driver in the world but you can never predict what some idiots out there are going to do.

Cheers.
  6. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 16:00
    Point taken. Thank you for your thoughts and educating me. Obviously I'm not as savvy as I think I am.
  7. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 16:50
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Good for you.

I'm just giving my thoughts on why people wouldn't want to use their real name. Some people consider their phone number, address, wife's name and place of employment all sensitive information. I know I do.

If it's really about searching for people you already know, there may be a more reasonable and recommendable solution than using your real name as your handle, in my opinion.
    Oh dear! You are correct.I wish I had thought to use a nick name when I joined.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 17:34
    There are many reasons why one might want to use a nickname on the internet. You mentioned children. Darv mentioned sensitive information. You also countered that if people don't have anything to hide maybe they shouldn't be worried. Well, truth is that many upstanding citizens have plenty to hide. If only from scumbags who might use that info for personal gain or for potential crimes. We already know that our own government, through the NSA, listens in on millions of phone calls and internet records all the time, yes, even those people "with nothing to hide".

In fact, I wish I had chosen a better nickname for myself on this site, since it's a mashup of my first and middle names, but not my last name, and no way are you getting that. I've had internet stalkers in the past, but luckily none seem to have followed me here and I've been here for 10 years now. I want to keep it that way.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 17:411 edit
    Exactly.

Like if you know them, just ask them for their nickname.

Actual dialog beats any search engine.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 17:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    There are many reasons why one might want to use a nickname on the internet. You mentioned children. Darv mentioned sensitive information. You also countered that if people don't have anything to hide maybe they shouldn't be worried. Well, truth is that many upstanding citizens have plenty to hide. If only from scumbags who might use that info for pers ...[text shortened]... seem to have followed me here and I've been here for 10 years now. I want to keep it that way.
    Way to pile more paranoia on after the fact. I tried to scare him straight gently. You brought the NSA and the government into it. What's next, you going to tell him the scotchguard on his couch is slowing giving him testicular cancer?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 18:01
    Way to pile more paranoia on after the fact. I tried to scare him straight gently. You brought the NSA and the government into it. What's next, you going to tell him the scotchguard on his couch is slowing giving him testicular cancer?
    I'm just saying, the internet is not all "kumbiya" and peace and love. You still gotta watch yourself, even adults.

I don't care about his couch.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 19:27
    If I was you. Rick. I would ask the admins to change my user name to something more secure and appropriate to your online personality. 'Captain Naive' perhaps?
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 19:30
    My name honors the one I think of as the most-underrated scientist (as in little-known to the general public) of the twentieth century.

If people want to think it is my real name, I've got no problem with that.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 19:31
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I've had internet stalkers in the past, but luckily none seem to have followed me here and I've been here for 10 years now.
    Hello sweetie...
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 19:36
    If your real name sounds like a naughty school boy pun, use a nick. I know I do. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree