1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 03:03
    Red Hot Pawn's Bottom Line Question (September 22, 2013)

The server migration project and software enhancements have been accomplished; our temporary outage is over.
    What impact will these improvements have on overall site chess move and public forum post activity volumes?
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 04:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Red Hot Pawn's Bottom Line Question (September 22, 2013)

The server migration project and software enhancements have been accomplished; our temporary outage is over.
    What impact will these improvements have on overall site chess move and public forum post activity volumes?[/b]
    I dunno, why not bring back the spinning stars. 😕
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 05:44

What impact will these improvements have on overall /?[/b]
    Are these the important figures of merit? 'Site chess move and public forum post activity volumes"?

I'd say, minimizing costs to play chess and jabber efficiently. Good for all of us. Aren't you a capitalist
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 06:181 edit

What impact will these improvements have on overall site chess move and public forum post activity volumes?[/b]
    "Public Forum post activity volumes" have no value or interest to anyone except the posters themselves. Forums are a very small part of this site and at least 95% of players don't even go there.
    As customers of this site, we should not be concerned with the mechanics of the business, any more than we ask our retail store staff if the business charges enough to cover their wages. That's entirely a matter for the proprietors of the business, isn't it?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 08:273 edits
    Originally posted by Kewpie

\"Public Forum post activity volumes\" have no value or interest to anyone except the posters themselves. Forums are a very small part of this site and at least 95% of players don\'t even go there.
    As customers of this site, we should not be concerned with the mechanics of the business, any more than we ask our retail store staff if the business charges enou ...[text shortened]... cover their wages. That\'s entirely a matter for the proprietors of the business, isn\'t it?
    "Public Forum post activity volumes" have no value or interest to anyone except the posters themselves. Forums are a very small part of this site and at least 95% of players don't even go there." a) Advertising revenues are a component of this site's total monthly revenues and are driven by readership exposure; advertisers also seek optimal value; b) The highly successful strategy of RHP's primary (market leader) competitor includes attractive forums for the large percentage of its members who find chess only a sterile and less than satisfying recreation. You and I, Kewpie, at this very moment attest to the fact that the Talking Game is still the best game in town; c) Public Forums have been and still are a significant feature of RHP's Strategy to attract and retain long term members since its inception in February, 2001.

"As customers of this site, we should not be concerned with the mechanics of the business, any more than we ask our retail store staff if the business charges enough to cover their wages. That's entirely a matter for the proprietors of the business, isn't it?" "Customers" make purchases with some degree of regularity. The majority of people playing chess on Red Hot Pawn don't buy anything and have never spent a dime. Russ & Chris aren't in the Nanny State Welfare Business for their recreation or health. It's a component of their livelihood. Subscriptions ultimately determine the short term market viability and longevity of this site. Our friendly referrals of prospective new members are needed.

We are guests or members or friends of the ownership and administration of this personalized site--- but we have never been nor will ever be anonymous "customers" who have no say. No other online chess site listens to its members' concerns and/or ideas the way Russ and his staff listen to ours. They welcome our participation which provides them input and feedback, while simultaneously giving us all a subliminal but real sense of ownership which most of us prize. -Bob
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 08:53
    Originally posted by JS357
    Are these the important figures of merit? 'Site chess move and public forum post activity volumes"?

I'd say, minimizing costs to play chess and jabber efficiently. Good for all of us. Aren't you a capitalist
    "I'd say, minimizing costs to play chess and jabber efficiently. Good for all of us. Aren't you a capitalist."

JS, there's an irreducible level to which operating costs and out of pocket expenses can be trimmed or minimized. No free enterprise market company saves its way to prosperity. Systematic flows of top line revenues are required. Millions of people "jabber" for free on Facebook all day long. Red Hot Pawn serves a unique online market niche: chess players, many of whom also enjoy conversation with their global friends. Yes, free enterprise capitalism is the only way to go. -Bob
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 08:571 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I dunno, why not bring back the spinning stars. 😕
    ? ¿ ----------------------------------------------------> Site Ideas
  8. Joined
    11 May '09
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 13:19
    we're not doing the "wait for any game" thing anymore? that's too bad i liked that feature
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 13:401 edit
    Originally posted by mike the knife
    we're not doing the "wait for any game" thing anymore? that's too bad i liked that feature
    Yes we are, and it should be working. Can you let me know your browser brand and version please.
  10. Joined
    11 May '09
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 14:03
    well i scrolled down to "about firefox" to see what version it was and it began updating automatically, so now its version 24.0. i have no games to move in yet so don't know if that was the prob, i mean that i was rocking version 23.something, but most likely.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 15:10
    This should now be working for you too.

A configuration issue has now been fixed so this and other related issues, such as the conditional move interface not responding, will now work fine.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 15:45
    \"Public Forum post activity volumes\" have no value or interest to anyone except the posters themselves. Forums are a very small part of this site and at least 95% of players don\'t even go there.\" a) Advertising revenues are a component of this site\'s total monthly revenues and are driven by readership exposure; advertisers also seek optimal value; b) Th ...[text shortened]... s Strategy to attract and retain long term members since its inception in February, 2001.[/i]
    In other words, the road to success is paved with hot air, vacuous theories and inane posts.

There's one thing we can be sure of, Bobby..
    If you were running things instead of Russ, RHP would have crashed and burned years ago.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 16:141 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    "Public Forum post activity volumes" have no value or interest to anyone except the posters themselves. Forums are a very small part of this site and at least 95% of players don't even go there.
    As customers of this site, we should not be concerned with the mechanics of the business, any more than we ask our retail store staff if the business charges enough to cover their wages. That's entirely a matter for the proprietors of the business, isn't it?
    IMO it's a matter of legitimate interest to the employees and customers, and suppliers, whether the store should stay in business. This is the difference between "stockholder" and "stakeholder." The same applies to RHP.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 16:27
    Originally posted by JS357
    IMO it's a matter of legitimate interest to the employees and customers, and suppliers, whether the store should stay in business. This is the difference between "stockholder" and "stakeholder." The same applies to RHP.
    Precisely, JS. An objective and timely observation, well spoken. Thanks.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    In other words, the road to success is paved with hot air, vacuous theories and inane posts.

There's one thing we can be sure of, Bobby..
    If you were running things instead of Russ, RHP would have crashed and burned years ago.
    "If you were running things instead of Russ..."

RHP would remain unchanged in every particular. One amenity, though, would be added: Tea and Crumpets (with raisins) would be served each weekday at 4:00 PM GMT, in Honour of its Founders, to all active Red Hot Pawn, Jr. site members whether subscribers at present or prospective subscribers. Chris and Russ would be asked to stay on retainer in the event of an emergency in Dallas. Finally, a multi-million dollar fire insurance policy would be purchased from Lloyd's of London.

Thanks for the fanciful speculation, Andy; though chances are that "years ago" I would have still been on medical leave.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree