General Forum

General Forum

  1. Joined
    25 Sep '12
    Moves
    9725
    22 Jan '13 14:45
    curious how fast my opponents move when they have the advantage,
    and how their speed decreases as my advantage becomes clear.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Joined
    22 Dec '11
    Moves
    20237
    22 Jan '13 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by jmc000
    curious how fast my opponents move when they have the advantage,
    and how their speed decreases as my advantage becomes clear.
    Is it curious though, clearly if you perceive the game to be simple, i.e you think you understand the position and believe you have an advantage, you would expect to be able to put less analysis into your moves.

    If on the other hand it dawns on you that you have been mugged, and the game is actually very complex, you are bound to put a lot more analysis into your moves.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    98271
    22 Jan '13 16:16
    Originally posted by jmc000
    curious how fast my opponents move when they have the advantage,
    and how their speed decreases as my advantage becomes clear.
    Try me. My speed is consistant either way and mostly because I just move without the time wasted trying to decide if I should do this or that. Got a feeling? Go for it.

    OK so I'm not a great player...actually I almost mediocre but I enjoy it.😀
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    98271
    22 Jan '13 16:18
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Is it curious though, clearly if you perceive the game to be simple, i.e you think you understand the position and believe you have an advantage, you would expect to be able to put less analysis into your moves.

    If on the other hand it dawns on you that you have been mugged, and the game is actually very complex, you are bound to put a lot more analysis into your moves.
    Bound? Say I might be interested in your version of chess there kevcvs57...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '12
    Moves
    9725
    22 Jan '13 16:28
    I am referring to waiting for the last minute in order to move. and again wait for the last minute. and again last minute. And meanwhile playing other games.
    It is a silly reaction of denial. Very childish bad losers.
  6. Joined
    25 Sep '12
    Moves
    9725
    22 Jan '13 16:30
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Try me. My speed is consistant either way and mostly because I just move without the time wasted trying to decide if I should do this or that. Got a feeling? Go for it.

    OK so I'm not a great player...actually I almost mediocre but I enjoy it.😀
    next slot available I'll post an invitation
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Jan '13 16:30
    Originally posted by jmc000
    curious how fast my opponents move when they have the advantage,
    and how their speed decreases as my advantage becomes clear.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Beat-a-Taller-and-Bigger-Opponent--in-a-Street-Fight
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    98271
    22 Jan '13 16:31
    Originally posted by jmc000
    I am referring to waiting for the last minute in order to move. and again wait for the last minute. and again last minute. And meanwhile playing other games.
    It is a silly reaction of denial. Very childish bad losers.
    Lessen learned? Unless your rating is a "thing" with you why not just resign and not play the person again?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35898
    22 Jan '13 16:40
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Exactly. I tend to slow down as I'm having my ass handed to me so I can take my time with the position, sometimes pulling out my chess set and really looking at the position offline where I can push the pieces around til I find what I'm looking for. Which is usually some way out of the mess, hehe. Most of my messes, btw, are caused by my moving too fast in the first place.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Jan '13 16:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Exactly. I tend to slow down as I'm having my ass handed to me so I can take my time with the position, sometimes pulling out my chess set and really looking at the position offline where I can push the pieces around til I find what I'm looking for. Which is usually some way out of the mess, hehe. Most of my messes, btw, are caused by my moving too fast in the first place.
    (graphic, methinks)
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35898
    22 Jan '13 16:52
    Originally posted by jmc000
    curious how fast my opponents move when they have the advantage,
    and how their speed decreases as my advantage becomes clear.
    And when we are winning, we're far more likely to get peeved by our opponent taking their time. I like to think also on my opponent's time, so it never bothers me when they start to play more slowly. It helps me to concentrate on my attack and not getting it wrong. 90% of my errors come from moving too fast.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35898
    22 Jan '13 16:561 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    (graphic, methinks)
    So what? I'm a tactile person. If you can't handle it, feel free to thumb me down.

    Speaking clearly and speaking ornately don't often have the same goal.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Joined
    22 Dec '11
    Moves
    20237
    22 Jan '13 17:03
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Bound? Say I might be interested in your version of chess there kevcvs57...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
    'A nods as good as a wink to a blind bat ay, ay'
Back to Top