RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gothenburg

Moves
23 Jul 19
2 edits

Congratulations to the winner(s), great stories. I enjoyed reading all of them, and I voted for those that I somehow could relate to. I made up my mind very quickly so it must have been something in those stories that caught me. My thanks to you all and to Ponderable.

Moves
23 Jul 19

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

I wrote Hollywood Ending. In looking for an ending I remembered some cartoon character using a vacuum to suck up the ghost. When I went on the internet I ran the key words and the Oreck vacuum cleaner add (as mentioned in the story) was quoted verbatim. Who woulda thought?!

Anyway thank you Ponderable for running a great contest. I'm not a big ghost story person but I can see everyone else was. Great jobs all and to Moonbus for two of the top three!

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Jul 19

@mike169 said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

I wrote Hollywood Ending. In looking for an ending I remembered some cartoon character using a vacuum to suck up the ghost. When I went on the internet I ran the key words and the Oreck vacuum cleaner add (as mentioned in the story) was quoted verbatim. Who woulda thought?!

Anyway thank you Ponderable for running a great contest. I'm not a big ghost story person but I can see everyone else was. Great jobs all and to Moonbus for two of the top three!
I know Mike, I know.

Think I give you top marks every year. 😆

Gothenburg

Moves
23 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I know Mike, I know.

Think I give you top marks every year. 😆
How do you know who wrote what? I'm amazed by these stories and those who created them.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Jul 19

@torunn said
How do you kno who wrote what? I'm amazed by these stories and those who created them.
Well, I never 'know' exactly, just think I know.

This year, for example, I thought I had guessed Paul's entries, but was incorrect.

(I hope the author of 'Crayon' comes forward).

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Jul 19

@kevcvs57 said
Likewise well done to all who submitted an entry and / or voted.
Congrats to the top three and special congrats to the author of ‘stray cat’ for a clear win.
I’ll hold my hands up to submitting ‘Ghost Dog’ a process I enjoyed very much, and thanx to anyone who gave it a point.
As always extra special thanx to Ponderable for doing all that hard work again.
I did enjoy Ghost Dog!

😀

Moves
23 Jul 19

Thank you Ponerable for the work and time invested it took to have the competition. I really liked all stories and am amazed there is so much talent around. Thanks to the people who voted for my story: The Crayon.

Moves
23 Jul 19

@Ghost-of-a-Duke Thank you for the kind remarks. Can never tell if people recognize the way I write. Just a rookie. The only time I write fiction is in this contest. Glad it's there for those of us who, if we come in the top 3, can claim success in an international competition!

Moves
23 Jul 19

@WOLFE63

I've read lots of crime stuff including Mickey Spillane and his cop Mike Hammer. Unfortunately this was about the ghosts. Casper was a favorite of mine growing up. I've finally exorcised my ghost.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Jul 19

@kegge said
Thank you Ponerable for the work and time invested it took to have the competition. I really liked all stories and am amazed there is so much talent around. Thanks to the people who voted for my story: The Crayon.
Hey, nice job.

Yours was the only story that inspired me to go to google for more info. (To discover who Adolf Diekmann was). Love that it had a historical undercurrent.

Moves
23 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Hey, nice job.

Yours was the only story that inspired me to go to google for more info. (To discover who Adolf Diekmann was). Love that it had a historical undercurrent.
Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Jul 19

@mike169 said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke Thank you for the kind remarks. Can never tell if people recognize the way I write. Just a rookie. The only time I write fiction is in this contest. Glad it's there for those of us who, if we come in the top 3, can claim success in an international competition!
Your writing style has an easy-going yet engaging rhythm to it that I really like.

I hope, at some point in your life, you are minded to type out a whole novel. I genuinely think your writing ability could adapt to that.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Jul 19

@kegge said
The Crayon...Was wondering who wrote that.

I was impressed, really meant as a compliment!

Good Job!

-VR

Moves
23 Jul 19

@Ghost-of-a-Duke
I'm a painter actually. The writing that I do is mostly in a journal that I've been faithful to for 30 years now. This contest is a nice chance to do something that only takes 800 words but that's the challenge as well. Thanks for your kind words. Send me your email and I'll send you examples of my artwork.

is getting old...

Moves
23 Jul 19

Stray cat was written the best I feel and so do a lot of others. I hope moonbus is a chick 🤗

I instantly knew "Are you in there?" Was Ghost of a Duke and I thought it would win easily.
The plot was genius.

I also think the top 5 vote totals could have been shown and that would have been fine.
No reason to let everyone know that some stories didn't do well.