He had a good life.
    10 million die each day.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 10:432 edits
    Originally posted by Startreader
    So sad to hear that he has gone.
    Yes. He was a completely ubiquitous, genial, somewhat anodyne presence on TV (although well capable of making me laugh from time to time) when I moved away from Britain but he was broadcasting to an older demographic than me ~ on BBC Radio 2 ~ further back in time when I was a consumer of radio (Radio 1, Capital Radio, Radio Caroline). I'm sure he will be missed by an awful lot of people. He was 'nice' and 'ever so slightly cheeky' personified. And he was ever present, so I'm told. In the last 20 or so years I had basically forgotten all about him to be honest.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 10:48
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Why?
    He had a good life.
    10 million die each day.
    Because he was a lovely, kind, gentle man, loved by many, and many are very sad, including me.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 10:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. He was a completely ubiquitous, genial, somewhat anodyne presence on TV (and well capable of making me laugh from time to time) when I moved away from Britain but he was broadcasting to an older demographic than me ~ on BBC Radio 2 ~ further back in time when I was a consumer of radio (Radio 1, Capital Radio, Radio Caroline). I'm sure he will be missed by a ...[text shortened]... t, so I'm told. In the last 20 or so years I had basically forgotten all about him to be honest.
    Yes.

I was a fan of Radio Caroline back when I was a student. Long time ago.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 11:06
    Because he was a lovely, kind, gentle man, loved by many, and many are very sad, including me.
    Do you not think that the 10 million are not lovely, kind and gentle?

He had a good life.

What is sad is those that do not.
  7. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 11:58
    I liked Terry myself. But the one thing that let him down was when it came out that he was taking a salary for presenting BBC Children In Need. It was a bit naughty to be asking Britain to give to a good charity, while he,s putting a big fat cheque into his bank on Monday morning. But I still say RIP Terry.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 12:32
    I was never really a fan to be honest, but I appreciate you and others are and will miss his charm and humour. It is always sad when the icons of our past depart, I guess it reminds us of our own mortality.
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 13:03
    Originally posted by Steve45
    I liked Terry myself. But the one thing that let him down was when it came out that he was taking a salary for presenting BBC Children In Need. It was a bit naughty to be asking Britain to give to a good charity, while he,s putting a big fat cheque into his bank on Monday morning. But I still say RIP Terry.
    I must admit I was stunned when I found out he was taking money for presenting children in need ,it's not like he was short of a few bob .
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 13:12
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I must admit I was stunned when I found out he was taking money for presenting children in need ,it's not like he was short of a few bob .
    How did you find out? Did a newspaper dig that up, one I don't read, and make a big thing of it? Daily Mail? Sun?

I'd never heard that piece of information before. I don't think it surprising or actually reprehensible, as I'm quite sure most of those involved in the show also get paid. Do you feel the same about all those running big charities like Oxfam? About those signing up donors on the streets?
  11. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 13:16
    How did you find out? Did a newspaper dig that up, one I don't read, and make a big thing of it? Daily Mail? Sun?

I'd never heard that piece of information before. I don't think it surprising or actually reprehensible, as I'm quite sure most of those involved in the show also get paid. Do you feel the same about all those running big charities like Oxfam? About those signing up donors on the streets?
    What he done was indefencible. And if your such a Wogan fan, you would know that when it came out, Terry didnt deny it.
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 13:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 13:21
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm just watching a bit of a tribute to him on the news now.
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 13:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 13:25
    Originally posted by Steve45
    What he done was indefencible. And if your such a Wogan fan, you would know that when it came out, Terry didnt deny it.
    Don't be silly. It was his job to present the show. How do you know he didn't give to the charity separately?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree