1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '15 10:091 edit
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Rock´n´roll (music )began with...
    Three 'beginnings' come to mind. [1] A 1972 holiday at the family seat in Ireland when I was still a wee lad: my uncle picked up a few 7" singles in a supermarket in Sligo... Chicory Tip - Son of My Father, The Sweet - Wig Wam Bam, Slade - Mama Weer All Crazee Now, and The Move - Fire Brigade [although that was several years 'old' by then] plus several others. [2] I was given a double live LP of Little Richard shortly after returning across the water which I wore out on our half-timbered mono gramophone. [3] In 1977 I heard music on stereo headphones for the first time ["Heroes" David Bowie] and I was completely astounded by the sound and that moment [and literally a physical sensation that I can remember vividly to this day] was the beginning of an interest in the sound/fidelity of rock'n'roll music.
  2. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    02 May '15 15:41
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Well, let the old folks chip in here.

My uncle's 45's and 33's of Elvis (Oh Lord, just look it up children) showed me that good music didn't have to mention Jesus. Since I was born in 1952, just the roll of the dice meant I started becoming aware around 1964. And yes, we still talk about those guys and girls, don't we?
    First one I remember was Del Shannon, "Runaway". Catchy song, with all the elements of Rock-n-Roll: Teen-oriented lyrics, guitar bangin', active drums, instrumental breakaway stanza. It was before we had to think about the song to enjoy it! Now, I appreciate the poetry and human-frailty themes of the Rolling Stones, but at 15 gimme a Del Shannon oldie!
  3. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    04 May '15 10:20
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    First one I remember was Del Shannon, "Runaway". Catchy song, with all the elements of Rock-n-Roll: Teen-oriented lyrics, guitar bangin', active drums, instrumental breakaway stanza. It was before we had to think about the song to enjoy it! Now, I appreciate the poetry and human-frailty themes of the Rolling Stones, but at 15 gimme a Del Shannon oldie!
    The Electric Guitar
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 May '15 12:13
    Originally posted by redbadger
    The Electric Guitar
    In fact there are a lot of aristorcratics of Rock'N'Roll, how is the process to become King, Queen or whatever of a music style?
  5. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    18 May '15 12:37
    Little Richard - Tutti Frutti

YouTube
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    18 May '15 13:50
    1951 Rocket 88 written by Ike Turner and sung by Jackie Brenston
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 May '15 13:523 edits
    Originally posted by lolof
    Little Richard - Tutti Frutti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13JNjpNW6c
    Maybelline why can't you be true. Chuck Berry.

Buddy Hollie Peggy Sue

Bill Haley and the Comets: Rock around the clock

Chuck Berry, Tina Turner, got to be rock and roll music:

YouTube

Ventures. Walk don't run.
  8. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    18 May '15 14:41
    1946 Arthur Crudup "its all right Mama"
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 May '15 14:482 edits
    Originally posted by redbadger
    1946 Arthur Crudup "its all right Mama"
    Don't forget Big Mama Thornton the original Hound Dog:

http://mp3red.ru/2081302/big-mama-thornton-hound-dog.html

And Goree Carter, Rock awhile: (1949)

YouTube

Jimmy Preston, Rock the joint, 1949:

YouTube
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '15 15:03
    has no one mentioned Eddie Cochran?

YouTube
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 May '15 18:113 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    has no one mentioned Eddie Cochran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjlZ8x2uQM
    Yeah, you friggin' brits killed him, you should know🙂 Don't take a taxi in Chippenham....Hey, that might make a good song!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '15 19:061 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, you friggin' brits killed him, you should know🙂 Don't take a taxi in Chippenham....Hey, that might make a good song!
    It was a tragedy, perhaps if you has embraced rock ' n roll with the same enthusiasm as the British then it might not have happened. I watched a documentary on him the other day, just a young guy. So sad. His sound with that heavy base running all the way though was way ahead of its time, copied by Led Zepplin and just about everyone else.
  13. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    20 May '15 12:01
    Maybelline why can't you be true. Chuck Berry.

Buddy Hollie Peggy Sue

Bill Haley and the Comets: Rock around the clock

Chuck Berry, Tina Turner, got to be rock and roll music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1LZuQ9E4JQ

Ventures. Walk don't run.
    Don't forget Gene Vincent - Be Bop a Lula

YouTube
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '15 15:021 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It was a tragedy, perhaps if you has embraced rock ' n roll with the same enthusiasm as the British then it might not have happened. I watched a documentary on him the other day, just a young guy. So sad. His sound with that heavy base running all the way though was way ahead of its time, copied by Led Zepplin and just about everyone else.
    Yep, just like losing Buddy Hollie, Big Bopper and Richie Havens in that plane crash.

Another early rocker was Buddy Knox, who recorded Party Doll which was banned all across the US! 1957
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '15 18:421 edit
    Yep, just like losing Buddy Hollie, Big Bopper and Richie Havens in that plane crash.

Another early rocker was Buddy Knox, who recorded Party Doll which was banned all across the US! 1957
    Its pretty interesting rock'n'roll had a kind of golden era with Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Elvis I suppose, Chuck Berry and Eddie Cochran. Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran died in accidents, Elvis got drafted into the army, Little Richard got converted and Chuck Berry got jailed. I guess it was never really the same after that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree