scavenge

Standard memberapathist
General 08 Jan '17 20:11
  1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 20:11
    You whiners throw out stuff people wish they had. Most of my kit is what you don't want anymore. Scavenging helps me build up a bankroll that scares me. I don't want to pull the trigger on how to spend it.
  2. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 20:33
    Originally posted by apathist
    You whiners throw out stuff people wish they had. Most of my kit is what you don't want anymore. Scavenging helps me build up a bankroll that scares me. I don't want to pull the trigger on how to spend it.
    Come round to my house.
    I got loads of crap you can have.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 03:32
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    Come round to my house.
    I got loads of crap you can have.
    Ditto. I've accumulated a lifetime's worth of junk and can't find anyone who'll take it. Whatever happened to the scavengers who used to advertise for free stuff that they could make money out of?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 07:23
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Ditto. I've accumulated a lifetime's worth of junk and can't find anyone who'll take it. Whatever happened to the scavengers who used to advertise for free stuff that they could make money out of?
    Same here; save me some trips to the dump.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 20:411 edit
    Kewpie,

Your junk is someone elses gold. What we might consider junk others would love to have. Donating is what I usually do with stuff I don't want anymore. We have many places here who will come and pick up the things you have to offer. I am sure your country must have something similar?

-VR
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 21:271 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Same here; save me some trips to the dump.
    I'm a natural born scavenger and hate throwing anything away which adds to landfill. Yesterday I sorted out my utility room in readiness for a new tumble dryer. I came across an old lightweight camping mattress, one of four that I have been meaning to get rid of for ages. I then had the idea of taking the waterproof jacket off it to use as a tarpaulin for one of my log stores. The sponge inside was clean and of a good quality so I cut it into square sections and placed a layer inside my sofa cushion covers. It worked a treat.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 22:44
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    I'm a natural born scavenger and hate throwing anything away which adds to landfill. Yesterday I sorted out my utility room in readiness for a new tumble dryer. I came across an old lightweight camping mattress, one of four that I have been meaning to get rid of for ages. I then had the idea of taking the waterproof jacket off it to use as a tarpaulin fo ...[text shortened]... cut it into square sections and placed a layer inside my sofa cushion covers. It worked a treat.
    drewngal,

Very innovative!

-VR
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 00:182 edits
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Kewpie,

Your junk is someone elses gold. What we might consider junk others would love to have. Donating is what I usually do with stuff I don't want anymore. We have many places here who will come and pick up the things you have to offer. I am sure your country must have something similar?

-VR
    The charity shops don't do very well out of me, since I tend to wear stuff out and they refuse to accept most of it. I can dispose of things like old furniture easily enough, the guy who delivers the new thing is usually happy enough to take the old things to the Salvos. The real problem is that I hate sorting through all the little stuff that seems to accumulate everywhere, and since I don't want to add to landfill the sorting is necessary. What I'd really like to find is somebody who is prepared to help me sort it out!
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 01:42
    The charity shops don't do very well out of me, since I tend to wear stuff out and they refuse to accept most of it. I can dispose of things like old furniture easily enough, the guy who delivers the new thing is usually happy enough to take the old things to the Salvos. The real problem is that I hate sorting through all the little stuff that seems to accum ...[text shortened]... is necessary. What I'd really like to find is somebody who is prepared to help me sort it out!
    Kewpie,

Are there any charitys that would come to your place and help you to do that? There is always hiring someone to help you if you are able to do that.

-VR
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 06:23
    Unfortunately I live in a wilderness, people are in very short supply. Most of the charity workers are severely overstretched. I tried paying someone to help, but that didn't work out - the helper couldn't see the difference between useful stuff and useless stuff. It's all useful to someone! I'll just have to find some motivation to do it by myself - my husband is a lifetime hoarder and wouldn't be able to bring himself to participate. In my defence, his stuff and my stuff are pretty mixed, and I wouldn't dare presume to send off any of his stuff!
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 14:341 edit
    Unfortunately I live in a wilderness, people are in very short supply. Most of the charity workers are severely overstretched. I tried paying someone to help, but that didn't work out - the helper couldn't see the difference between useful stuff and useless stuff. It's all useful to someone! I'll just have to find some motivation to do it by myself - my h ...[text shortened]... s stuff and my stuff are pretty mixed, and I wouldn't dare presume to send off any of his stuff!
    Kewpie,

I understand as my brother-in-law is a life time hoarder. He too lives out in the wilderness near a lake, beautiful spot. I love going there when I can it is so peaceful.

He has roughly about 6 sheds, four of those are full of things he will never use still in the packages they were bought in. His two girls, now women of course don't know what they are going to do when he passes.

I told them to sell or give away the stuff, as I said most of it is still in the packages unopened or very good shape. Just a little dusty of course. He use to manage a fish factory, made some pretty good money over the years, so was able to buy lots of tools etc., etc., that he will never use. He is now retired.

-VR
  12. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 08:43
    Originally posted by apathist
    The Situation is quite curious in Germany. You can't even gift away a car which has ended ist lifetime. Though a few years back you could get about 100 € for the material...
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 10:082 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    The Situation is quite curious in Germany. You can't even gift away a car which has ended ist lifetime. Though a few years back you could get about 100 € for the material...
    A few months ago I gave my car to a charity which sold it at auction and sent me a receipt for the amount as a tax deduction. No need for car junkyards under our laws. 🙂
    No scrap merchant takes Volvo cars here, the dealers say nobody does up their own Volvo and new parts are too expensive. The charity auction was the only option.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree