1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 15:36
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    We can all agree that there are users here at RHP who speak languages other than English.

The point in this discussion, which you seem unable to grasp, is that [b]users who post in the public forums all speak English
    , or try to.

Got it?[/b]
    There for how important would a smei colon be to those whose first language is NOT ENGLISH GOT IT?

-VR
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 15:55
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    There for how important would a smei colon be to those whose first language is NOT ENGLISH GOT IT?

-VR
    Smei colon?

Is that the non-English version?!

😕
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 15:57

-VR
    Let me comment on this: Maybe a semicolon is not imperative to the understanding of a sentence or a paragraph, but there are grammatical rules which, in written language, make a sentence or a paragraph easier to follow.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:01
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    I think you need a semicolonoscopy.
    Andy,

This has to be among the few most intelligent things I've ever heard you say!

-VR
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:02
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Let me comment on this: Maybe a semicolon is not imperative to the understanding of a sentence or a paragraph, but there are grammatical rules which, in written language, make a sentence or a paragraph easier to follow.
    People who speak different languages as their first language are not really concerned about where a semicolon should fit in sentence. They just want to get the point they have to make across.

-VR
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:03
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Smei colon?

Is that the non-English version?!

😕
    That would be a called a typing error smartass! 😛

-VR
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:10
    People who speak different languages as their first language are not really concerned about where a semicolon should fit in sentence. They just want to get the point they have to make across.

-VR
    English is my second language and grammatical rules are very important to me. My youngest grandson, 9 years old, spent this week-end at my place and we did what was left of his homework together. Reading doesn't come easy to him and that is because he doesn't observe the punctuation marks in the text; he doesn't make a stop until he is out of breath nearly and mostly he doesn't understand the meaning of the text. I'm teaching him to say 'full stop' and make a short pause at the end of the sentence.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:16
    English is my second language and grammatical rules are very important to me. My youngest grandson, 9 years old, spent this week-end at my place and we did what was left of his homework together. Reading doesn't come easy to him and that is because he doesn't observe the punctuation marks in the text; he doesn't make a stop until he is out of breath nearly a ...[text shortened]... the text. I'm teaching him to say 'full stop' and make a short pause at the end of the sentence.
    Grammatical rules are important to me too.

🙂
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:29
    English is my second language and grammatical rules are very important to me. My youngest grandson, 9 years old, spent this week-end at my place and we did what was left of his homework together. Reading doesn't come easy to him and that is because he doesn't observe the punctuation marks in the text; he doesn't make a stop until he is out of breath nearly a ...[text shortened]... the text. I'm teaching him to say 'full stop' and make a short pause at the end of the sentence.
    torunn,

That is all well in good. Just because grammar and puncuation is important to you doesn't mean it is to everyone else!!! Some come here just to play chess and rarely even speak, because of the spelling police!!!

-VR
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:33
    torunn,

That is all well in good. Just because grammar and puncuation is important to you doesn't mean it is to everyone else!!! Some come here just to play chess and rarely even speak, because of the spelling police!!!

-VR
    If you took the time to improve your spelling sir, such policing wouldn't be necessary and the forums would be grammatically resplendent.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:34
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    If you took the time to improve your spelling sir, such policing wouldn't be necessary and the forums would be grammatically resplendent.
    what?

-VR
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:36
    torunn,

-VR
    It is a topic among many others, VR. Either you like it and participate, or you dislike it and ignore it. That's what forums are about.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:38
    It is a topic among many others, VR. Either you like it and participate, or you dislike it and ignore it. That's what forums are about.
    OR another option I can say as I wish in it! 😛

-VR
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:41
    OR another option I can say as I wish in it! 😛

-VR
    That's right, and you have and it's all very well. And the thread goes on... 🙂
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 16:42
    That's right, and you have and it's all very well. And the thread goes on... 🙂
    Note: Not so much talk about where semi colons should be place in sentences though, did you happen to notice that. 😉 😛

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree